REPOST: Owner Review: Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit - Pam

  • pamwyant
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      Owner Review: Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit

      Owner Information:

      Name: Pam Wyant
      Age: 47
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)
      Weight: 165 lb (77 kg)
      E-mail address: pamwyant(at)yahoo(dot)com
      Location: Western West Virginia, U.S.A.
      Date: February 19, 2005

      Backpacking Background: Last year I acted on my long time interest
      in backpacking, and started day hiking, researching backpacking
      products and techniques, and purchasing gear. I took a few
      overnight trips, including one solo. I currently day hike often, am
      planning several overnight and weekend trips this year, and hope to
      take a weeklong trip and do a winter overnight. I hike and backpack
      mainly in the hills and valleys of West Virginia, and use a hammock
      sleeping system. For a two-day trip my pack typically weighs 22-30
      pounds (10-14 kg), which I am working on lightening.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Frogg Toggs
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Manufacturer Website: http://www.froggtoggs.com/
      Manufacturer's suggested retail price: $74.95 U.S.
      Size: XL
      Listed weight: not given
      Actual weight: jacket 10 oz (283 g), pants 7 oz (198 g)
      Fabric: patented 3-layer microporous polypropylene

      Product Description:
      The jacket features a hood with a draw cord around the face that can
      be tightened by a cord lock on each side. The hood rolls and tucks
      into a zippered collar. There are two front hand warmer style
      pockets that fasten with a snap, a storm flap with snaps that fasten
      over the front zippered opening, and elastic at the sleeve cuffs and
      bottom of the jacket to keep it snug. The only seams in the jacket
      are at the collar and sleeves, and these are not taped. The pants
      feature snap closure pocket style slits, but with no actual pockets,
      so the wearer can access the front pockets of pants worn
      underneath. The pants also have an elastic waist, elastic at the
      bottom of the pants legs, and an 8 in (20 cm) long zipper at the
      bottom of each pant leg. There are no seams on the outside of the
      pants legs. The front and rear seams on the stomach and buttocks
      area and the seam on the inside of the pants legs are taped.

      The fabric has a papery feel to it on the outside. The inside of
      the fabric feels similar, but with a very slight feel of a membrane
      coating. A label inside the pants provides laundering instructions
      to hand or machine wash in cold water and to drip dry only. The
      label warns not to heat dry or dry-clean, to avoid open flames or
      other ignition sources, and that oil or alcohol based products cause
      permanent stains.

      The manufacturer guarantees the product to be waterproof, windproof,
      and breathable, and provides contact phone numbers and names of
      staff members, as well as an e-mail address on their website.

      Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suits are available in a variety of colors.
      Mine is a mottled charcoal gray color, which I like due to its muted
      appearance. The jacket and pants can be rolled together into a
      cylinder approximately 7 x 12 in (18 x 30 cm) for storage in my pack.

      Field Conditions:

      I have used my Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit for approximately eleven
      months in a variety of temperatures, ranging from approximately 40
      to 80 F (4 to 27 C), on day hikes, backpacking overnights, day
      events, and camping. Terrain has varied from nearly level to steep,
      but walkable; trail widths from single file paths to wider fire
      roads; and surfaces from grassy fields to rocky ridges. I usually
      stay on established trails and do not do much bushwhacking,
      especially in rainy conditions. The longest use so far was a 14-
      mile (23 km) trip on the Greenbrier River Trail, with near solid
      rain and temperatures in the 40 F (4 C) range for the first day of
      approximately 7 miles (11 km).

      Field Use:

      Although at first the papery feel of the fabric made me doubt its
      ability to shed water, my doubts were soon overcome. I have found
      the manufacturer's claim of waterproof, windproof breathability to
      be accurate. Rain has never penetrated the fabric during the
      numerous times I have worn the rain suit, and I do not overheat as
      much in the Frogg Toggs as I have in polyurethane rain suits. The
      Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit also blocks the wind, and adds a bit of
      warmth, so I've also found it useful even when it's not raining.
      When hiking and backpacking in wet windy conditions with
      temperatures around 45 F (7 C), I have stayed warm enough with only
      a lightweight base layer underneath. I have found that if I expect
      rain and temperatures 60 F (16 C) and under, I feel most comfortable
      wearing a long sleeve shirt and pants under the Frogg Toggs. One
      the one occasion that I wore only short sleeves in the rain with
      temperatures 60 F (16 C), my arms felt cold and clammy where they
      were in direct contact with the fabric. The only other time I have
      felt uncomfortable wearing the Frogg Toggs was during a light rain
      shower on a warm, humid summer day, during which I ended up taking
      the jacket off and holding it over my head for rain protection with
      more ventilation, as I was feeling very hot with it on. In most
      conditions, however the fabric seems to keep me quite comfortable,
      leading me to conclude it is fairly breathable.

      So far, even after nearly a year of use, my Frogg Toggs have held up
      well. I have experienced no rips or tears. The only sign of use
      that is visible is a slight "fuzzy" appearance to the fabric where
      some small fibers have pilled. I have been very careful to make
      sure my rain suit is completely dry before storing it after use.
      This usually involves re-arranging the way the jacket and pants hang
      a few times, because any where the fabric is folded together (such
      as under the sleeves), it does not dry well.

      My Frogg Toggs Pro Action Suit fits me very loosely, being larger
      than the size recommended for my size and height according to the
      manufacturer's web site. Although the jacket won't fit over my
      backpack when hiking, I have found it will fit over my daypack, a
      2400 cu in (39 L) model measuring approximately 19 x 14 x 7 in (51 x
      36 x 18 cm), and keep it protected from rain. I have found the rain
      suit very comfortable, and would definitely consider purchasing
      Frogg Toggs if I need new rain gear in the future.

      Even in the extra large size, the entire suit is light enough that I
      don't mind taking it along on any hike or backpacking trip. The
      packed size is reasonably small, and while it is bulkier than
      ponchos I have owned, it provides much better coverage. When
      significant rain is expected, it's become my favorite rain gear due
      to its light weight.

      Things I like:
      Totally waterproof
      Light weight
      Comfortable
      Reasonably priced

      Things I don't like:
      Pilling of fabric
      Can be clammy when touching exposed skin in cooler temperatures
      When wet, overlapping fabric doesn't dry easily