REPOST OWNER REVIEW - GSI Lexan Plate

  • becki_s19
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
      **Ted- I've added a bit about the types of food we ate, I thought
      that may be helpful.

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Rebecca (Becki) Stacy
      Age: 31
      Height: 5' 3" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg)
      Email address:beckistacy at comcast dot net
      City, State, Country: Royal Oak, MI USA
      Date: March 2, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      I got bitten by the backpacking bug in 1994 when I was serving a
      volunteer internship at the Grand Canyon. My first backpacking trip
      was the same week that I arrived, with gear borrowed from the trail
      crew supply room. Since 1998 my husband and I have usually spent at
      least a long weekend car camping, mostly somewhere in Michigan.
      We've spent 1 night in the Grand Canyon, and in 2004 we spent 6
      nights hiking the Pictured Rocks. When hiking the Pictured Rocks we
      took everything but the kitchen sink. We are currently re-working
      our gear list to pare down our weight a little without giving up the
      luxury items we enjoy.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: GSI
      Year of Manufacture: 2003

      Listed weight: 4.8oz (136 g)
      Weight as delivered: 4.8 oz (136 g)
      Diameter:9.75" (24.8 cm)
      Depth:1.25" (3.2 cm)
      MSRP: US$5.25

      Other specifics:
      The plate is available in transparent blue or emerald green.

      Product Description:
      The Lexan Plate comes unpackaged, with the product information
      printed on a circular insert glued to the plate itself.

      Function: The Lexan plate serves to contain food before and during
      consumption.

      Location Tested:
      Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (a 42+ mile / 68+ km segment of
      the NCT), Michigan. The terrain is flat to steep hills we had to
      climb with the help of railroad tie `stairs'. Weather conditions
      varied from lows in the 50s F (teens C) at night to low 80s F (high
      20s C)in the days. The weather varied from sunny to thunderstorms.
      The conditions are well within the designed use parameters of just
      about any food equipment.

      Cooking Style On Trip:
      On our trip another group dubbed us as `gourmet' backpackers.
      Though we didn't cook up anything truly fancy, we need a good,
      flavorful meal (`comfort food') to look forward to at the end of the
      day. Pancakes and oatmeal were common breakfasts, and dinner ran
      from tacos to chili mack to a couple of freeze-dried backpacking
      meals.

      My husband and I used the plates (and also the GSI Lexan cereal
      bowls) during our entire trip along the Pictured Rocks. Overall, it
      performed its designated function properly, faithfully keeping our
      food contained while eating. The depth of the plate was nice for
      keeping items from slipping off the edge. It held up to the normal
      use of such an item during backpacking.

      We kept the plates in a mesh bag with our cookset, which created
      some dead space since the plates were significantly larger than our
      pot. Over the period of the trip, we figured out the plates were
      quite a bit larger than what we really needed. The only time the
      size of the plates came in handy was when we had soft tacos, and the
      tortillas were about the size of the bottom of the plate. Other than
      that, we could have gotten away with using just the bowls. One thing
      we found out during the trip is that dirt and dust apparently
      gravitate to this material. I think the Lexan might have a static
      charge that causes this. Less dirt clung to the outside of the pot
      than to the bottom of the plate (and bowls). Using LNT principles
      and minimum campsuds, the Lexan dining ware was difficult to keep
      clean, both of the clinging dirt and from food.

      large side for our practical use. This might be a nice item for the
      car-camper who occasionally backpacks, and wants something large
      enough for a hotdog and ear of corn that can do double duty in the
      backwoods. Since we're cutting down on weight and only need bowls
      for our backpacking trips, these plates have been reassigned to car-
      camping ventures only. Because of the problems we've had cleaning
      the Lexan we are currently looking at other options for bowls.

      What I liked:
      Deep-dish style that kept food on the plate under less than optimal
      dining situations (set on lap).
      Light-weight, compared to enameled items of similar size.

      What I didn't like:
      Larger than what we really need.
      Difficult to keep clean.
    • becki_s19
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
        Ted-

        Before you ask, yes I'll add the title back in the main body of text
        in the next round... too quick witht eh cut-n-paste!!
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          Hello Becki,

          Thanks for getting back so fast. I picked up your other note regarding
          the title. Yes, please reinsert. Note edits/suggestions below, which
          are not too numerous. Incorporate these, then upload the review in
          HTML form to the OR folder at

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

          and notify me on list (plus a sideband e-mail would be handy).

          You'll need to log on first, of course. BTW, if you need any HTML
          help, BGT does have a forum for HTML assistance.

          Ted (OR Editor)

          Here goes:

          Date: March 2, 2005

          > Backpacking Background:
          > I got bitten by the backpacking bug in 1994 when I was serving a
          > volunteer internship at the Grand Canyon. My first backpacking trip
          > was the same week that I arrived, with gear borrowed from the trail
          > crew supply room. Since 1998 my husband and I have usually spent at
          > least a long weekend car camping, mostly somewhere in Michigan.
          > We've spent 1 night in the Grand Canyon, and in 2004 we spent 6
          > nights hiking the Pictured Rocks. When hiking the Pictured Rocks we
          > took everything but the kitchen sink. We are currently re-working
          > our gear list to pare down our weight a little without giving up the
          > luxury items we enjoy.

          ### This is much better. I count 113 words. If you can cull a few more
          (e.g. just "re-working our gear list" rather than "currently
          reworking") it'll pass muster just fine. Thanks!

          > Diameter:9.75" (24.8 cm)
          > Depth:1.25" (3.2 cm)

          ### space after colon

          > varied from lows in the 50s F (teens C) at night to low 80s F (high
          > 20s C)in the days.

          ### (teens C)? Confusing, I feel. I'd prefer the wording (around 10 C)
          fot the low end and (around 25 C) for the high end. It does get a bit
          tricky when using ranges in two different systems of mensuration, I'd
          agree!

          > Overall, it
          > performed its designated function properly, faithfully keeping our
          > food contained while eating.

          ### Overall, they performed their designated function properly...

          That's about it, so far as my befuddled brain can determine (I have a
          bad cold). If you used the plates on other trips, I would like some
          indication of that (extent of use). Normally, we like to have the OR
          come from greater experience of the artifact than a single trip. On
          the other hand, to paraphrase Gertrude Stein, "A plate is a plate is a
          plate..." <g>.