OWNER REVIEW - GSI Lexan Plate

  • becki_s19
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2005
      GSI Lexan Plate

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Rebecca (Becki) Stacy
      Age: 31
      Gender: F
      Email address:beckistacy@...
      City, State, Country: Royal Oak, MI USA
      Date: February 20, 2005
      Backpacking Background:
      I got bitten by the backpacking bug in 1994 when I was serving a
      volunteer internship at the Grand Canyon. My 1st backpacking trip
      was the same week that I arrived, with gear borrowed from the trail
      crew supply room. It took us a while to actually `gear-up' for an
      actual backpacking trip, though almost every year since 1998 my
      husband and I have spent at least a long weekend car camping
      (usually somewhere in Michigan) and enjoy dayhikes. We have spent 1
      night in the Canyon, and plan to return for a rim-to-rim in 2006,
      and a Hermit-Tonto-Bright Angel hike sometime in the future. In 2004
      we spent 6 nights hiking the Pictured Rocks, working out the kinks
      for our 2005 12-night trip to Isle Royale.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: GSI
      Year of Manufacture: 2003

      Listed weight: 4.8oz (136g)
      Weight as delivered: 4.8oz
      Diameter:9.75"
      Depth:1.25"
      MSRP: $5.25

      Other specifics:
      The plate is available in transparent blue or emerald green.

      Product Description:
      The Lexan Plate comes unpackaged, with the product information
      printed on a circular insert glued to the plate itself.

      Function: The Lexan plate serves to contain food before and during
      consumption.

      Location Tested: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (a 40+ mile
      segment of the NCT), Michigan. The terrain is flat to steep hills
      we had to climb with the help of railroad tie `stairs'. Weather
      conditions varied from lows of 50s at night to low 80s in the days,
      sunny to thunderstorms. The conditions are well within the designed
      use parameters of just about any food equipment.

      My husband and I used the plate (and also the GSI Lexan cereal bowl)
      during our entire trip along the Pictured Rocks. Overall, it
      performed it's designated function properly, faithfully keeping our
      food contained while eating. The depth of the plate was nice for
      keeping items from slipping off the edge. It held up to the normal
      use of such an item during backpacking.

      We kept the plates in a mesh bag with our cookset, which created
      some dead space since the plates were significantly larger than our
      pot. Over the period of the trip, we figured out the plates were
      quite a bit larger than what we really needed. The only time the
      size of the plates came in handy was when we had soft tacos, and the
      tortillas were about the size of the bottom of the plate. Other
      than that, we could have gotten away with using just the bowls. One
      thing we found out during the trip is that dirt and dust apparently
      gravitate to this material. I think the lexan might have a static
      charge that causes this. Less dirt clung to the outside of the pot
      than to the bottom of the plate (and bowls). Using LNT principles
      and minimum campsuds, the lexan dining ware was difficult to keep
      clean, both of the clinging dirt and from food.

      large side for our practical use. This might be a nice item for the
      car-camper who occasionally backpacks, and wants something large
      enough for a hotdog and ear of corn that can do double duty in the
      backwoods.

      What I liked:
      Deep-dish style that kept food on the plate under less than optimal
      dining situations (set on lap)
      Light-weight, compared to enameled items of similar size.

      What I didn't like:
      Larger than what we really need.
      Difficult to keep clean.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2005
        > GSI Lexan Plate

        Hi Becki,

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
        worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
        are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
        within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
        Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
        me know directly at jdeben@....

        yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
        uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
        way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
        which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
        before submission.

        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        start applying for Tests.

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
        your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
        to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
          Hello Becki,

          Thanks for submitting your OR. So far as I can tell from the database,
          this is your first (please let me know if I am wrong on this). I have
          made quite a few corrections and suggestions, in order to bring the
          review in line with BGT standards. Still, I think this is a good
          start, and I hope you won't be offended by the extent of my comments.

          A good resource for metric comversions is on BGT's website

          http://tinyurl.com/5s4xe

          I'd appreciate it if you would also take another glance at the BGT
          Survival Guide, accessed from the BGT Yahoo Group homepage.

          Please make the suggested changes and place the edited text on the BGT
          list as REPOST OWNER REVIEW - GSI Lexan Plate

          I'll look forward to reading the corrected text!

          Many thanks,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          > GSI Lexan Plate

          > Tester Bio:
          > Name: Rebecca (Becki) Stacy
          > Age: 31

          ### Height and weight is customary in tester bios. Not so important
          for a plate, naturally, but it's a good habit to get into. In testing
          tents and many other kinds of gear these figures are important for the
          reader. Please remember to supply metric equivalents.

          > Backpacking Background:

          ### BGT backpacking bios are generally 100 words or less. We hope to
          have a feature permitting longer bios at some time in the near future.

          > I got bitten by the backpacking bug in 1994 when I was serving a
          > volunteer internship at the Grand Canyon. My 1st

          ### first

          > backpacking trip was the same week that I arrived, with gear
          > borrowed from the trail crew supply room.

          ### The two previous sentences are a good beginning for the bio

          > It took us a while to actually `gear-up' for an actual backpacking
          > trip, though almost every year since 1998 my husband and I have
          > spent at least a long weekend car camping (usually somewhere in
          > Michigan) and enjoy dayhikes.

          ### Better to reword the previous along the following lines (but do so
          in your own voice):

          Almost every year since 1998 my husband and I have spent at least a
          long weekend car camping (usually somewhere in Michigan, where we also
          enjoy dayhikes.

          > We have spent 1 night in the Canyon, and plan to return for a
          > rim-to-rim in 2006, and a Hermit-Tonto-Bright Angel hike sometime in
          > the future. In 2004 we spent 6 nights hiking the Pictured Rocks,
          > working out the kinks for our 2005 12-night trip to Isle Royale.

          ### Instead of detailing future plans, I'd like it if you can write a
          brief sentence or two describing your hiking and backpacking style.
          Ultralightweight? Kitchen sink? Somewhere in between? Readers need to
          know from what perspective you write. Gear that's great for someone
          who travels in lightweight style may not suit someone who carries a
          more robust load.

          > Listed weight: 4.8oz (136g)

          ### space between integer and measure i.e. 4.8 oz, (136 g). Please be
          consistent to this throughout the review.

          > Weight as delivered: 4.8oz ### metric equivalent please (yes, I know
          it is the same as above)

          > Diameter:9.75" ### metric equivalent, please (and space after colon)
          > Depth:1.25" ### metric equivalent, please (and space after colon)
          > MSRP: $5.25 ### US$5.25

          Location Tested: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (a 40+ mile

          ### metric equivalent

          segment of the NCT), Michigan. The terrain is flat to steep hills
          we had to climb with the help of railroad tie `stairs'. Weather
          conditions varied from lows of 50s at night to low 80s

          ### Centigrade equivalents, please

          > in the days, sunny to thunderstorms.

          ### in the days. The weather varied from sunny to thunderstorms.

          > My husband and I used the plate

          ### surely "plates" plural?

          > (and also the GSI Lexan cereal bowl)
          > during our entire trip along the Pictured Rocks. Overall, it
          > performed it's

          ### its

          > I think the lexan

          ### Lexan

          > might have a static charge that causes this. Less dirt clung to the
          > outside of the pot than to the bottom of the plate (and bowls).
          > Using LNT principles and minimum campsuds, the lexan

          ### Lexan

          > dining ware was difficult to keep clean, both of the clinging dirt
          > and from food.

          ### Overall, this review is a good descrition of a simple item (none
          the worse for being simple). Perhaps you could enlarge a kittle on
          whether you will continue to use the plates and bowls, given the size
          issues, or will seek an alternative?