Re: [BackpackGearTest] Digest Number 95

  • Don Johnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2001
      >From: "Gear Tester" <geartester@...>

      >Actually, according to the Pur website, the Voyageur uses "TritekĀ® technology >with
      >iodinated resin" as a "Purification System". I'm pretty sure that's a really >cool
      >name for iodine in the filter element.

      Correct an iodinated resin but it is not in the filter element. I
      disassembled one of my old filter cartridges in the past to see how it
      works. The filters construction is a pleated paper design around the
      Tritek core which is a plastic central tube filled with tiny iodinated
      resin beads. The path of the water is from outside the pleated filter to
      inside the pleated filter then from one end of the tritek iodinated
      resin bead filled core down the entire length of the core and out the
      opposite end of the unit. This core has no ability to filter out
      anything but it does ensure the Iodine gets well distributed in the
      water.

      >The filter is described as "0.3 micron pleated
      >AntiClogT filter, 160 sq. in. surface area". It would have to go down to .02 >microns
      >to filter out viruses on it's own with no chemical assist. I know the original
      >Katadyn went that far but it is the only one I know of that could filter out >viruses
      >with out chemicals.

      Katadyn doesn't claim to filter out viruses (I have the original pocket
      filter and it doesn't remove viruses at all) and neither does PUR. PUR
      uses the Tritek core to deactivate viruses with iodine and it meets EPA
      registration requirements as a microbiological water purifier as a
      result of proven effectiveness. Since the Recall on the stop top carbon,
      the filter is still on the market and it's claims of effectiveness in
      meeting the EPA test standard have not been withdrawn. Deactivating
      viruses is all PUR uses the Tritek core for. Everything else is filtered
      out with the pleated paper filter. Iodine kills viruses quite fast as do
      a number of other chemical treatments but it does need to stay in the
      water longer than it takes to travel the length of the outlet hose to be
      certain of doing that. The charcoal taste filter in the stop top should
      not be used for Extreme water conditions and this is described in the
      filters directions.

      >BTW, I've got a Voyageur with very little use I'd let go
      >cheap....=o). I never got the new carbon for the StopTop carbon filter, of >course. I
      >was generally unimpressed with mine. If I had to have a pump I'd use a >Sweetwater.
      >It's lighter, about as fast, cheaper, and you can still use Aqua Mira or >iodine if
      >you're worried about viruses.
      >Jerry

      Personally I never used the stop top with or without the carbon taste
      filter in it because they were and are un necessary IMHO. I have had no
      problems with my Voyager while my brother has complained about a
      frequent need to clean his Sweetwater. And indeed when filtering from
      the same water source as me he has had to clean his filter. According to
      the manufacturers, the weight is the same. Too heavy for me to choose to
      carry either of these filters for most conditions since I became
      enlightened.

      > From: David Spellman

      > No, that's not why PUR filters were recalled.

      > It had nothing whatever to do with an "iodine core" but had to do with
      > the charcoal postfilter. PUR doesn't rely on iodine to kill the crawlies
      > -- it relies on a filter that's too small for them to get through --
      > specifically, the filter inside the body of the unit. The charcoal
      > postfilter on the Voyageur series was suffering from a run of charcoal
      > that wasn't up to snuff. If you read the information that PUR put out at
      > the time, you'll see that the filters were just fine for all of the
      > nasties but the viruses (virii) which usually don't crop up in the US.

      > While there is an iodine compound on the surface of the filter, it's not
      > there to kill the bugs as they go through, but to kill bugs that get
      > trapped on the surface of the filter during the filtration process. In
      > this case, those guys are trapped there until the next time you backwash
      > the filter, so it's better to have them dead than not, and there's
      > plenty of time to kill them while they're hanging around.

      > In short, you're not drinking water with iodine-killed bugs when you
      > drink PUR water they way you are when you just toss iodine tabs into
      > water. They're simply not there at all, having been eliminated entirely
      > by the filter. In addition to the bugs, PUR gets rid of almost all of
      > the silt, crap and debris in the water -- stuff that you end up
      > drinking when you just treat the water with iodine. You really should
      > check the PUR filters out and find out how they work -- especially
      > before you deliver uninformed opinions.

      Except for the construction described in the middle paragraph you are
      right on the money.

      Photon
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2001

        Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 12:59 AM
        Subject: Re: [BackpackGearTest] Digest Number 95

        >Correct an iodinated resin but it is not in the filter element. I
        disassembled one of my old filter cartridges in the past to see how it
        works. The filters construction is a pleated paper design around the
        Tritek core which is a plastic central tube filled with tiny iodinated
        resin beads. The path of the water is from outside the pleated filter to
        inside the pleated filter then from one end of the tritek iodinated
        resin bead filled core down the entire length of the core and out the
        opposite end of the unit. This core has no ability to filter out
        anything but it does ensure the Iodine gets well distributed in the
        water.

        True...but it still makes the water taste like iodine with out the carbon filter that screws up.

        >The filter is described as "0.3 micron pleated
        >AntiClogT filter, 160 sq. in. surface area". It would have to go down to .02 >microns
        >to filter out viruses on it's own with no chemical assist. I know the original
        >Katadyn went that far but it is the only one I know of that could filter out >viruses
        >with out chemicals.

        Katadyn doesn't claim to filter out viruses (I have the original pocket
        filter and it doesn't remove viruses at all) and neither does PUR.

        I was talking about the ORIGINAL Full sized Katadyn (circa 1987, the one that would  make you look like Arnold if you used it long enough) and it definitely did claim to, and would, filter out viruses. It was their big claim to fame and why they were chosen by the International Red Cross as their standard field filter.

        >BTW, I've got a Voyageur with very little use I'd let go
        >cheap....=o). I never got the new carbon for the StopTop carbon filter, of >course. I
        >was generally unimpressed with mine. If I had to have a pump I'd use a >Sweetwater.
        >It's lighter, about as fast, cheaper, and you can still use Aqua Mira or >iodine if
        >you're worried about viruses.
        >Jerry

        Personally I never used the stop top with or without the carbon taste
        filter in it because they were and are un necessary IMHO.

        If I wanted water that tasted like iodine I'd use iodine...=o)

        I have had no
        problems with my Voyager while my brother has complained about a
        frequent need to clean his Sweetwater. And indeed when filtering from
        the same water source as me he has had to clean his filter. According to
        the manufacturers, the weight is the same.

        Again, isn't it entertaining how two people can use the same products and have exactly the opposite experiences with both of them. Your brother had problems with his Sweetwater clogging and I didn't. You loved your Pur and I considered it a piece of ****. I guess that's what keeps more than one manufacturer of each product in business...;o)

         Too heavy for me to choose to
        carry either of these filters for most conditions since I became
        enlightened.

        I agree. I've not found anything I like better than my Seychelle gravity feed system.
        Jerry