Re: [BackpackGearTest] Outdoor Retailer Show

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 2, 2005
      I keep nudging a few of my friends and some of my
      family memebers. Hopefully this will get them going.
      Thanks to the group that went and worked long and hard
      hours. Bring on the gear!!!

      --- rebecca@... wrote:

      > Hey everyone!
      >
      > I just spent the past week in Salt Lake City with
      > Jerry, Tom P, Cora, and David
      > SE for the Winter 2005 Outdoor Retailer show. It
      > was an unbelievable success
      > for backpackgeartest.org. I also attended this show
      > a year ago, and it's
      > amazing to see how much BGT has grown in that time.
      > It is really obvious when
      > talking with the manufacturers and people at the
      > show that BGT has become an
      > enormous resource to both backpackers and
      > manufacturers. That's good - it's
      > what we want!
      >
      > You won't believe the amount of stuff lined up for
      > this summer. Soon we'll be
      > releasing an enormous amount of test calls with some
      > big manufacturers that
      > might surprise you. We also have lined up some new
      > smaller manufacturers that
      > are eager to get the word out on their products. Of
      > course, our regular
      > manufacturers also have some great stuff lined up
      > with us. What really
      > surprised me about the show was manufacturers of
      > gear we don't test (yet, right
      > Jerry?), like climbing and skiing, that are really
      > excited about the BGT model
      > and are waiting for us to expand into their areas so
      > they can test with us.
      >
      > There is one thing that concerns me. If we even end
      > up testing half the gear
      > that is planned, we are going to run into limits
      > with the amount of testers we
      > have. I am concerned about our ability to handle
      > the amount of stuff we've got
      > lined up without burning out. So, if you're a
      > lurker who is thinking about
      > writing those two Owner Reviews to become a tester,
      > now is the time to get
      > busy. Everyone else, work on those application
      > skills. If you know of anyone
      > who would be interested in being a tester, spread
      > the word. I hope to have all
      > our testers in at least new packs, sunglasses, and
      > shoes this summer!
      >
      > Rebecca
      > Test Coordinator/ OR Show Representative / Gearhead

      =====
      Chuck Carnes

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 19, 2009
        The Outdoor Retailer show is just a few days away and your trusty
        BackpackGearTest crew will be arriving in Salt Lake city over the next 48
        hours.
        The OR show is an important time for BGT. It's when we meet face-to-face
        with many of our manufacturers and check out the latest and greatest gear.
        We also line up the next several month's worth of test items. We're always
        swamped with appointments and extraordinarily tired at the end of the
        day! Of course it would be great if everyone could attend, but obviously
        that's just not possible. In the past, we've tried to share daily updates
        with all of the BGT members, but it's just so difficult when we're so wiped
        out come evening.

        So this year, I'm trying a new approach. I'm going to do live notes from the
        show using the popular microblogging tool, Twitter. Anyone who would like to
        follow along with my (and hopefully other BGT attendees) OR show
        experiences, you can follow along at:

        http://twitter.com/bpgeartest

        For those who don't want to follow along on Twitter, I'm hoping someone will
        aggregate the daily feed and post it here.

        Happy Testing!
        Rebecca
        Test Moderator* and OR Show Representative
        http://twitter.com/calipidder

        *emeritus