REPOST - OR Bozeman Orange Titanium tent stakes - Roger Caffin

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      > I'm going to make you come back with
      > a repost though because you need to tighten up your bio and I want to
      > take a look at it before you post it up on BGT (right now it's 1/8th
      > of your review here and about 3 times as long as we're looking for).
      > ### You have to tighten this up a bit Roger. I know there's lots to
      > your background but we're trying to keep these to about 100 quality
      > words of wisdom about your background & style.
      Pain! Suffering! Ah well ...
      The main body has been reduced to about 117 words (I think).
      Whether they count as words of wisdom is 'left as an exercise for the
      reader'. :-)

      > > Listed weight: 6.71 g +/- 0.10 g (0.2368 oz +/- 0.0036 oz)
      > ### A *little* more precision than is probably necessary ;-)
      (dryly:) Yeah, I know. Tell Ryan: it's his web site. :-)
      I am quoting the web site, so I have made a note to that effect.

      The other bits have been tweaked.

      Anyhow, it's in the OR section of the test folder and below, as requested.
      (Could you arrange for the older version to be deleted please?)

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      --------------------------------------
      Owner Review - Lightweight Orange Lazr Hi-Vis Titanium tent pegs/stakes
      Roger Caffin

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: <http://www.bozemanmountainworks.com>Bozeman Mountain Works
      Product Name: Lazr Hi-Vis Titanium Tent Stakes
      Year of manufacture: ~2004
      Listed weight: 6.71 g +/- 0.10 g (0.2368 oz +/- 0.0036 oz)*
      Measured weight: 6.5 g (0.229 oz)
      Listed Length: 15.4 cm (6.0 in)
      Measured Length: 15.3 cm (6.0 in)
      Listed Diameter: 3.4 mm (0.130 in)
      Measured Diameter: 3.4 mm (0.130 in)
      Colour: Hi-Vis "Flame" orange
      MSRP: N/A
      Review Date: 4-Jan-2005
      * Excessive precision, but that's what the web site says!

      Preamble re Bozeman

      As far as I can see, the Bozeman website only lists major items such as
      packs, sleeping bags and tarps, and with not a lot of product information
      anyhow. It does not list these pegs or stakes per se. Instead, the reader is
      referred to a retailer for information about all such products and
      accessories. From the website it would seem that
      <http://www.backpackinglight.com>Backpacking Light (BPL) is the major retail
      outlet for Bozeman, but there may be others. I have noticed that the BPL
      website often refers to Bozeman as 'we' and 'our', so it may be that there
      is more than just a retail relationship between the two. Since there is no
      information on the Bozeman web site about these pegs, I have quoted the
      information from the BPL website instead. By way of added information, BPL
      lists these pegs at US$19.99 for 6: not very cheap, but possible.

      Product description

      These are lightweight titanium wire pegs with a shape as shown as shown
      above. Very similar titanium wire pegs are available from other sources such
      as Simon Metals Company, but these Bozeman ones are coated a bright orange
      colour. The Simon Metals ones are plain (grey) titanium wire. The claim is
      made that the coating is far more durable than ordinary paint. In fact, the
      BPL website claims:
      "This coating is durable enough that it will not passively chip, flake, or
      wear thin if subjected to normal forest soil abrasion. Pounding on the head
      of the tent stake, of course, will cause the coating on that part of the
      stake to wear down to the titanium surface. Likewise, as the shaft of the
      tent stake is subjected to abrasion against objects which have a hardness
      greater than H/HB (rocks, consolidated sand and gravel, etc.), the coating
      of the shaft will wear. However, the amount of field use required to wear
      the coating to the point that it no longer functions (that is, provides the
      visibility you need to find your tent stakes) probably exceeds the useful
      lifetime of either your tent stake or the shelter which you are staking
      down! Our goal in this design is simply to provide a long-lasting coating
      that retains the hi-vis nature of the tent stake during normal field use -
      while adding less than 1/100th of an ounce to the tent stake weight."

      I have titanium pegs from both Bozeman and Simon Metals. Mechanically they
      are almost identical.

      Speculation on sources

      Given the difficulty of machining and bending titanium wire - or even of
      buying it (I tried), it would be within the bounds of reason to speculate
      that Simon Metals supplies the basic pegs and that Bozeman applies the
      orange coating.

      I discuss below my experiences with the coating: it is rugged. I will record
      here that I have managed to create a coating of similar toughness on a Simon
      Metals titanium peg by using a yellow epoxy paint obtained at my local
      hardware store. This is illustrated to the right: the effect looks rather
      similar I think, even if the color is different. The bottom end of the
      yellow peg is unpainted because that's where I held it, but as shown below
      the paint does wear away at the tip anyhow..

      None of this detracts from these Lazr pegs of course. It is just of interest
      to gear freaks. The end result is great.

      Field Experience - the toughness

      In my Owner Review of
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Shelter%20Accessories/Stak
      es/Stakes%20made%20from%20Easton%20Tent%20Poles/Owner%20Review%20by%20Roger%
      20Caffin/>home-made tubular pegs I explained why I had made them:
      "For a tent peg to hold in the ground it needs enough length to get down
      into the more compacted soil, and enough width that it won't slide through
      the soil. It also needs to be strong enough that it would not bend under
      load - not that a guy rope from a small lightweight tent puts that much load
      on a peg. Wire pegs work in some soils, but I was looking for something
      wider."

      However, I have also run into situations where those 8 - 9 mm diameter
      tubular pegs just didn't work. On some nights in rocky country around Sydney
      I have found that the ground is just too hard to even think about getting
      those tubular pegs in. After having this problem a few times I started
      taking a few titanium pegs with me. Now when I run into this rocky ground I
      can usually hammer these wire pegs in.

      I said 'hammer'. Yes, I mean I have had to pick up a rock and pound the top
      of the titanium wire peg to get it into the ground. Well, to force it in
      between the rocks would probably be a more accurate description of what was
      happening. This wasn't happening in your typical soft forest understorey
      type of soil: it was often on a small (hopefully) flat spot on the side of a
      rocky mountain, with a thin layer of soil over rock. But the point is, these
      wire pegs will take that sort of treatment, without flinching or bending. I
      found it a bit unreal the first time I tried it: I was sure the peg would
      crumple or at least the top end would bend over. I knew from experience
      that ordinary steel wire pegs would fail that way. Nope: the titanium peg
      stayed straight, the hook stayed the same, and in it went.

      Occasionally one of the pegs will get a little bent somewhere down the main
      length. Trying to hammer a bent peg into rock is not as effective as when
      the peg is straight, so I do periodically check the pegs for straightness. I
      have found that some gentle 'panel beating' with a medium-weight hammer and
      a large vise will straighten small bends in these pegs. I have not had to
      work on the hook section at all: that seems to be even more resistant to
      distortion. Maybe the metal there has 'work-hardened' a little.

      The Paint

      While hammering away that first time I was sure the paint would come off
      quickly. Nope: apart from chipping where the rock hit, it stayed on. This is
      illustrated to the right. I have to say I was very impressed the first time
      I used them like this, and I have continued to be impressed as I have
      continued to use them. I am guessing it is an epoxy paint to get that
      adhesion and toughness: it isn't any sort of anodising. It does come off
      eventually like a paint, but whatever they used is pretty good stuff.

      So I started taking a couple of titanium pegs in my peg bag in place of some
      of the tubular ones and using them regularly. At first this was out of
      curiosity, to see just how well the pegs and the paint would survive and
      whether they were that much worse at holding in the ground compared with my
      tubular pegs. After all, they are even lighter than my tubular ones, and at
      a weight of only 6.5 g (0.23 oz) each, who's complaining? At first I was
      using plain ones from Simon Metals, but as mentioned below they had their
      own problems. I switched to the Lazr pegs and began using them all the time.
      Well, after much use the coating or paint on the tips of the pegs has worn
      away, but only at the tip. This is shown on two of them to the right. That
      just might be because they have been given a very hard life, being jammed
      into narrow cracks between rocks so often. But I can hardly complain!

      Do they hold as well as my wider tubular ones?

      No, they do not, but the difference is only significant in really soft soil
      and at very high loads. If the soil has any sort of hardness at all, they do
      seem to hold well enough for side guys. OK, I usually push them right in so
      the top is flush with the ground, but this has worked well enough even in
      soft alpine soil. It helps when I can get the peg into a tuft of grass or
      behind some plants as the roots spread the load out. However, I do not
      normally use these wire pegs in soft soils for the end anchors on my tunnel
      tent. The end pegs on a tunnel tent really hold the whole thing up, and the
      load on those end pegs is higher than on ordinary guy ropes. In general the
      load there is a bit too high for wire pegs. Under difficult conditions I
      have resorted to jamming the pegs in and then putting rocks on the pegs, as
      shown to the right (purple arrows). More bad weather? More rocks! There
      wasn't a lot of room on that rocky little saddle in the photo, and it was
      almost dark when I finished pitching the tent. Sometimes you have to just
      grab what there is and hope the pegs hold. But I have happily used them for
      the end anchors in really hard rocky soil when the tubular pegs would not go
      in. I just make sure the peg goes right in. For many conditions they really
      are a nearly perfect solution.

      Is the paint of any value?

      In a word, yes. Before getting these I was using some plain titanium ones,
      but I quickly found they had one serious defect. If I dropped one of them on
      the ground it would take me five to ten minutes of searching to find it - in
      good light. The rather plain grey colour of the unpolished titanium metal
      seemed to blend in with dead grass, old sticks and mulch extremely well, at
      least in our Australian bushlands. This came home to me on one trip when I
      had taken a couple of plain titanium pegs in place of some tubular ones, and
      had started with only just enough pegs to pitch the tent. I lost two plain
      titanium ones on the ground one evening and realised that I could be in some
      trouble. After much searching in the dim evening light I eventually found
      them, but I resolved that henceforth I would only take brightly coloured
      pegs of any sort. I painted the two plain ones I had, but shortly after that
      I was given these Lazr pegs. The orange paint isn't fluorescent or metallic,
      but it is much more visible than the drab titanium grey when I drop them on
      the ground (it happens!), in both good daylight and poor evening light.
      Actually, the yellow paint is brighter than the orange, but the yellow is
      getting a bit close to the color of some dead native grass stalks. The
      orange stands out well and is a better choice over all.

      Summary
      Likes Dislikes
      Very light Perhaps a shade short?
      Very reliable Nothing else, really
      Very visible

      Would I keep using them? Would I buy more?

      I certainly will keep using them. For trips in our alpine regions I might
      take only two Lazr pegs and ten tubular ones, but for trips in areas where I
      know the ground may be difficult I'll take six of each. And if I lost them
      all I would have to buy more.

      Biographical information
      Reviewer: Roger Caffin
      Age: 59
      Gender: M
      Weight: 61 kg (134 lb)
      Height: 166 cm (65")
      Email address: r dot [surname] at acm dot org
      Home: Sydney, Australia

      Backpacking Background

      I started bushwalking (the Australian term) at 14, then took up rock
      climbing at University with the girl who became my wife and is my walking
      partner. Later on we took up ski touring and canyoning. Winter and summer,
      we prefer long hard trips by ourselves: about a week in Australia, up to two
      months in Europe/UK. We prefer fast and light in unfrequented trackless
      country. We would be out for at least three months a year. Over the last
      four years we have reduced our pack weights from 18 - 20 kg (40 - 45 lb)
      each to about 12 kg (26 lb), including food, for week-long trips. I designed
      and made much of our lightweight gear myself.

      I am also the maintainer of the Australian aus.bushwalking FAQ web site
      <http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/>www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/.
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Good job Roger, no new edits.

        Here's the link to upload it to BGT:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Shelter%20Accessories/Stakes/Bozeman%20Lazr%20Hi-Vis%20Titanium%20Tent%20Stakes/
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/3rpl9
        <<< Use either link >>>

        Thanks again for the nice job on this one.

        Jim
        Edit Moderator

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
        <r.caffin@t...> wrote:

        > Anyhow, it's in the OR section of the test folder and below, as
        requested.
        > (Could you arrange for the older version to be deleted please?)

        Done