EDIT: REVISED- Owner Review REI Rock Jacket Matt Wells

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Matt,
      Welcome to the group. Nice review here but you need to flesh out the
      jacket's performance in backpacking situations. There is almost no
      mention of its use in backpacking/camping which is what we're all
      about. Things like odor retention, dirt resistance, cleaning
      techniques, water resistance over extended wear/cleaning cycles, how
      if fits under a pack, how much you sweat when wearing it under a pack,
      etc. are all things that our readers are looking to read about.

      Please take another slice through with this in mind and resubmit it to
      the list with REPOST in the subject line. If you're stuck, post a
      message for Stephanie and ask her to assign you a mentor who will be
      happy to guide you trhough the process so you can zero in on the
      things that BGT reviews tend to focus on. (You can also give a quick
      read of some of the other jacket/shell reviews on BGT to get a sense
      of what we're looking for.)

      Thanks again for the nice job so far. I'm looking forward to seeing
      the final review.

      Jim
      Edit Moderator

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "munkyboie" <mgwells@u...> wrote:

      > REI Rock Jacket: Mens

      ### Add "Owner Review" to the title.

      > Date: 01/05

      ### A day is useful here...like "31-Jan-05"

      > Product Information:

      ### Size? Both yours & the jacket's.

      > to 65°F (18.3°C) and in Light to Heavy Rains and light snow

      ### "light to heavy" - capitalization is unecessary

      > Construction: When I first bought the jacket there was one hanging
      > thread that I easily snipped with scissors, but there has been no
      > unraveling since then. The jacket is flat-seamed and beautifully

      ### Is it seam sealed as well is the flat seaming sufficient to keep
      water out?

      > features thin "extensions" on the sleeves that slide over and hook
      > around your thumb. This holds the sleeves in place and offers minor

      ### "around my thumb." - avoid the use of you/your/yours/you'll, etc.
      to help prevent projection...in this case as a thumbless reader this
      won't hook over anything of mine...

      > protection from the elements (and is one of the main things that would
      > make the jacket design appeal to rock climbers). It closes with a

      ### "might make the jacket's design" - again this avoids projecting
      your assumptions on the reader

      > Fit: Usually I have trouble fitting jackets that I want to be
      > somewhat form-fitting because of my arm length (33-34" 84-86 cm). I
      > either end up with a jacket that is form-fitting with sleeves that are
      > too short or a billowy jacket with appropriate sleeves. This jacket

      ### A word about your chest/jacket size would be useful here to put
      the sleeve length issue in context.

      > I was very suspect of this jackets ability to shed water and to block

      ### "jacket's ability"

      > I have owned the jacket for close to a year and am still loving it.
      > Its lightweight combined with its breathability, water resistance, and

      ### "light weight" in this case is 2 words

      > It is not all that noticeable (unless you run your hand along it),

      ### "unless I run my hand"

      > great success). It is also very well made and has put up to all of my
      > EXTENSIVE abuse.

      ### What kind of abuse?
    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2005
        In a message dated 2/1/2005 10:21:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        colonelcorn76@... writes:
        Please take another slice through with this in mind and resubmit it to
        the list with REPOST in the subject line. If you're stuck, post a
        message for Stephanie and ask her to assign you a mentor who will be
        happy to guide you trhough the process so you can zero in on the
        things that BGT reviews tend to focus on. (You can also give a quick
        read of some of the other jacket/shell reviews on BGT to get a sense
        of what we're looking for.)
        ######

        Jim ,

        Matt already has a mentor (me!). Looks like we have to work a little harder.

        Jim S.