Repost: Owner Review; Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight 2

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Here you go Jim,

      Thanks for your time,

      Ray

      Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight 2
      Owner Review

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (187.5 cm)
      Weight: 200 lbs (90 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: January 01, 2005

      Backpacking Background: I fell in love with the outdoors (camping)
      at 10 years of age. Got my first backpack with Blue-chip stamps when
      I was 12, but did not use it until I was 14. And have been hiking
      ever since. I hike year-round, mostly in the Sierras, and have put
      283 miles on my boots last year. (2004) As I start my 4th decade of
      backpacking I am making the move to lightweight gear, and smaller
      packs.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Big Agnes Inc., Steamboat Springs, CO USA
      Year of Manufacture: 2004 MSRP $ 299.00 (US)

      Company supplied specs:

      Size: Floor length 84" (210 cm) Floor width 52" (130 cm) at head,
      42" (105 cm) at foot.
      Head height 38" (95 cm) Foot height 22" (55 cm)
      Weight: 3 lb. 9 oz (1.6 kg) Actual 3 lb. 13.8 oz (1.86 kg)
      Optional footprint 6.5 oz. (182 g) Actual 6.8 oz (190 g)

      Warranty: "If you are not satisfied with any Big Agnes product at
      the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform
      to your satisfaction, return it to Big Agnes for a replacement or
      refund".

      Company supplied selling points:

      DAC Featherlite Poles 8.84mm (.33")

      Plastic clips attach the tent body to the pole frame for quick and
      easy set-up.

      Fly is made of 30D, 1.94 oz (54.3 g) High-Tenacity nylon rip stop,
      246 thread count, polyurethane and silicone coating.

      Floor is a bathtub design, 30D, 1.94 oz (54.3 g) High-Tenacity nylon
      rip stop, 246 thread count, polyurethane and silicone coating.

      Tent walls, 20D 1.6 oz (44.8 g) woven nylon mesh.

      Excellent cross ventilation with full mesh tent walls.

      D shaped mesh door.

      13 7000 series, angle aluminum stakes included.

      All seams on tent body and fly are sealed with seam tape.

      YKK waterproof zippers.

      The Real World, phase 1 (Initial report)

      I purchased the Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight from Big Agnes for
      $299.00(US) in May of 2004. It was so new that they did not have
      them at any of their regular outlets yet. Later I purchased the
      footprint for $50.00

      Upon receiving it I set it up in our office to familiarize myself
      with its operation. The 5 sets of poles are all connected together,
      and join in a hub at either end of the center section of poles. It
      looks like a stick man without his head and neck, or two "Y"s stuck
      end-to-end. The ends bend around to go into the corners of the tent,
      while the spine stays at the top. The effect is a cross between a
      dome, and an A-frame tent. The tent body attaches to the poles with
      plastic clips. The vestibule goes over the poles, and clips to the
      main tent body where the poles end. There are numerous attachment
      points for guy lines. It is very easy to figure out, and set-up.

      The Real World, phase 2 (Field use)

      From May through September, I used the Seedhouse 11 nights. I used
      it on a hike from Death Valley to Mount Whitney, where the temps
      ranged from 105f (41c) in the desert, to 27f (-3c) and snow on the
      mountain. I also had it in Sequoia, and Kings Canyon. I use it as a
      solo tent though, not as the intended 2 person use. I believe that I
      would have to really like the person I was hiking with to be doubled
      up in it. For just me, it let me bring my pack in with me during
      rain storms, and still have plenty of room. The length is fine for
      me, and I am a tall, restless, arm-flailing side-sleeper. I had
      plenty of room to sit up, and get dressed.

      The main tent body is very fine mesh, which is part of the weight
      saving features. It makes for a very comfortable tent. It is great
      to leave the fly off, and look at the stars. It is so fine that it
      is almost like being tent-less. A couple of times I had to get up
      and put the fly on though, as any breezes that come up are going
      right through. The only time I had a gnat inside, I found that I
      had left the zipper open a little bit. Nothing got through the mesh,
      even in Death Valley, where it seemed that every bug around wanted
      their share of my moisture. The fly (and bottom) is made of silicone
      impregnated nylon, another weight saving device. It is
      very "crinkly", and noisier than other fabrics, although it did not
      bother me. Although it feels brittle, I found no inadequacies with
      its strength. It got rained on a couple of times, and snowed on
      once, and had no leaks. Sleeping in rainy weather, it is important
      to make sure you use the guy-outs to keep the fly from contacting
      the mesh body. I set it up in a hurry one evening, and did not do
      so, and during the night condensation rained on me when I hit the
      side. I can't blame that on the tent though.

      The vestibule is a bit on the small side, although it did not bother
      me as I keep most of my gear inside the tent. There is room for a
      couple of pairs of boots, or a pack sitting upright.

      It does just OK in wind. The sides catch the wind quite easily.
      Again, using the guy-outs help immensely. If pitching the tent when
      the wind is already blowing, it is best to place the back to the
      wind. I have had no problems with the zippers, on either the tent or
      vestibule door. I can set it up in about 10 minutes.

      Summary

      I have to say that I really like this tent. In fact my regular
      hiking partner liked it (and was so jealous) so much that after my
      3rd trip with it, he asked me to order him one. He carried it on the
      same Death Valley to Whitney trip. The amount of space for the
      weight is close to ideal. I now only use my SD Hyperlight when I
      expect bad/windy weather, or for solo winter use.
      Pros: Lightweight, roomy, great ventilation, freestanding.
      Cons: Noisy, not as wind-worthy as could be.
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
        Hi Ray,
        Looks like you've got the high points covered here. A couple of very
        minor things to fix and then you can upload it to BGT at this url:
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Agnes%20Seedhouse%20Superlight%20%202/
        or
        http://tinyurl.com/6aydn
        <<<<<Use either link>>>>>

        When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
        marked Owner Review.

        support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

        You may also find it useful to make use of the test upload folder at
        Reviews >Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test
        your upload before uploading the review to its new home.

        Thanks again for the good work.
        Jim
        Edit Moderator

        <rayestrella@h...> wrote:

        > Weight: 3 lb. 9 oz (1.6 kg) Actual 3 lb. 13.8 oz (1.86 kg)
        > Optional footprint 6.5 oz. (182 g) Actual 6.8 oz (190 g)

        ### No periods after unit abbreviations ("lb" and "oz")

        > Company supplied selling points:
        >
        > DAC Featherlite Poles 8.84mm (.33")

        ### Space before unit abbreviations ("8.84 mm"). If it's a direct
        quote, leave it.

        > I purchased the Big Agnes Seedhouse Superlight from Big Agnes for
        > $299.00(US) in May of 2004. It was so new that they did not have

        ### "$299.00 (US)"

        > main tent body where the poles end. There are numerous attachment
        > points for guy lines. It is very easy to figure out, and set-up.

        ### "set up." Two words not a compound one.

        > ranged from 105f (41c) in the desert, to 27f (-3c) and snow on the

        ### Farenheit and Celcius have their abbreviations capitalized (F C)
        since they're someone's name.

        > once, and had no leaks. Sleeping in rainy weather, it is important
        > to make sure you use the guy-outs to keep the fly from contacting

        ### "make sure to use"