Re: Application to Test Antigravity Mapdana

  • Dark Lazarus
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
      Application to Test Antigravity Mapdana

      I have read the Survival Guide v.1202 and have re-sent my tester
      agreement to Shane. I understand this test does not count towards the
      newbie limit.

      Personal Information:
      Name: Kathryn Doiron
      Age: 28
      Gender: Female
      Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
      Weight: 77 kg (170 lb)
      Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
      Location: Providence, Rhode Island, USA

      Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
      three years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire
      and Massachusetts. I have recently been looking at Vermont and the
      Long Trail as a new source of miles. My style is to be as light as
      possible while not spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover
      around 30lbs. I discovered the Hennessy Hammock last year and have
      been using it as a two person hammock. I recently had the chance to
      use it solo and was quite pleased but a little cold.

      Application: I am quite interested in testing the mapdana in order to
      compare its use to that of a map. Will it be as easy to use?
      Especially since it appears to be printed with North in a non-standard
      location. I would also like to test how well the printing will hold
      up under repeated washings. Will it also hold up to being used as a
      pot cozy? Will it be able to handle sweat if I wear it, or use it to
      wash the pot with. What other uses can this sized bandana lend itself
      to. Will it be ackward to wear it wound around the wrist, as a head
      band, or stuffed in a pocket? Will the printing still be clear after
      repeated manglings or will it crack and become illegible.

      I am also interested in how readable the writing on the side of the
      Mapdana will be. Can I use it at night with a light? How well
      labeled is the Mapdana. Will it adequtely show water and camp areas.
      How easily readable are the contour lines and elevation markings?
      Does it have trails other than the Appalachian trail. Would I be able
      to enjoy day hikes off the AT or am I restricted to just the AT. Does
      it state whether there are costs associated with staying at certain
      shelters and if they are seasonal costs? How easy will the legend be
      to read and understand.

      If chosen for this test, I would like to test Mapdana #4. I would
      mostly be testing along sections of the AT in Massachusetts, Vermont,
      and New Hampshire. I would look into all of the above questions with
      focus on ink durability under various abuses, and reliability of
      checkpoints on the trail.

      Owner Reviews Completed:
      MSR WhisperLite Internationale 600 Stove - September 17, 2004
      REI Elements Rain Jacket - October 1, 2004

      Tests Selected for but not started:
      Big Agnes Deep Creek

      kathryn