Do you have a map on your sock?

  • Rick Allnutt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 27, 2005
      Probably not, but you *could* have a map and the official Appalachian
      Trail data on your bandana.

      BackpackGearTest in association with AntigravityGear is pleased to offer
      three backpackers exactly the Mapdanas they need for this spring and
      summer. AntigravityGear has four Mapdanas which together cover the
      entire Appalachian Trail. TinMan, who owns AntigravityGear has said:
      "Take what you need, but use what you take."

      Applications are open for testers to creatively describe their
      backpacking planned use of the Mapdanas. If you are about to embark in a
      month on a full thru-hike, then ask for all four Mapdanas in your
      application. If you are going to be doing backpacking in the areas
      covered by one or two of the Mapdanas, then detail your plans in the
      application.

      Hints:

      1) Mapdanas are described here:

      http://antigravitygear.com/products/bandanas.html

      2) I love detailed and complete applications in accordance with the
      survival guide.

      Restrictions:

      - Mapdana will not be counted against the newbie limit (i.e. you may
      apply for this test even if you are doing another test, and even though
      you get selected for this test, it will not eliminate you from
      consideration for anther test.)

      - Those applying need to have completed all requirements for testing
      (two approved/uploaded ORs, tester agreement on file, etc.)

      - International testers are welcome

      - International testers applying (and all others) better describe
      clearly what parts of the AT will be hiked during the testing months.

      - The application period begins now and will be open until midnight on
      Friday the 4th of February.

      Those chosen can plan on the Mapdanas being in their hands by 1 March 2005.

      That is all.

      Rick Allnutt

      AntigravityGear Test Moderator

    • Dark Lazarus
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2005
        Application to Test Antigravity Mapdana

        I have read the Survival Guide v.1202 and have re-sent my tester
        agreement to Shane. I understand this test does not count towards the
        newbie limit.

        Personal Information:
        Name: Kathryn Doiron
        Age: 28
        Gender: Female
        Height: 1.7 m (5' 8")
        Weight: 77 kg (170 lb)
        Email: kdoiron 'at' gmail 'dot' com
        Location: Providence, Rhode Island, USA

        Brief Background: I started backpacking and hiking seriously almost
        three years ago. Most of my miles have been logged in New Hampshire
        and Massachusetts. I have recently been looking at Vermont and the
        Long Trail as a new source of miles. My style is to be as light as
        possible while not spending a fortune. My pack weight tends to hover
        around 30lbs. I discovered the Hennessy Hammock last year and have
        been using it as a two person hammock. I recently had the chance to
        use it solo and was quite pleased but a little cold.

        Application: I am quite interested in testing the mapdana in order to
        compare its use to that of a map. Will it be as easy to use?
        Especially since it appears to be printed with North in a non-standard
        location. I would also like to test how well the printing will hold
        up under repeated washings. Will it also hold up to being used as a
        pot cozy? Will it be able to handle sweat if I wear it, or use it to
        wash the pot with. What other uses can this sized bandana lend itself
        to. Will it be ackward to wear it wound around the wrist, as a head
        band, or stuffed in a pocket? Will the printing still be clear after
        repeated manglings or will it crack and become illegible.

        I am also interested in how readable the writing on the side of the
        Mapdana will be. Can I use it at night with a light? How well
        labeled is the Mapdana. Will it adequtely show water and camp areas.
        How easily readable are the contour lines and elevation markings?
        Does it have trails other than the Appalachian trail. Would I be able
        to enjoy day hikes off the AT or am I restricted to just the AT. Does
        it state whether there are costs associated with staying at certain
        shelters and if they are seasonal costs? How easy will the legend be
        to read and understand.

        If chosen for this test, I would like to test Mapdana #4. I would
        mostly be testing along sections of the AT in Massachusetts, Vermont,
        and New Hampshire. I would look into all of the above questions with
        focus on ink durability under various abuses, and reliability of
        checkpoints on the trail.

        Owner Reviews Completed:
        MSR WhisperLite Internationale 600 Stove - September 17, 2004
        REI Elements Rain Jacket - October 1, 2004

        Tests Selected for but not started:
        Big Agnes Deep Creek

        kathryn