PUR water filter information...

  • David Spellman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
      This is the release from PUR concerning the "recall"

      ---------------

      This is to advise you of a potential problem with the Stop Top
      accessory Stop Top Cartridge that comes packaged with the PUR Voyageur,
      Scout and Explorer water purifiers.

      The Stop Top serves as a water bottle adaptor plus reduces the iodine
      taste that may result from the purification process. However, recent
      testing has revealed variations in the carbon used in the Stop Top which
      could interfere with the purifier's ability to kill viruses in outdoor
      (untreated) water. Tests showed effectiveness against cysts and
      bacteria.

      Purifier update kits will be available within the next few weeks.
      Consumers can receive a FREE kit by calling Recovery Engineering, Inc.
      at 1-800-319-7735.

      In the meantime, consumers who already own PUR camping purifiers can
      still use them. In order to ensure full anti-virus efficacy, we advise
      you to remove the StopTop and follow use instructions for "How To Handle
      Difficult or Extreme Water Conditions" located in your Use and Care
      Manual.

      Briefly, the process involves the following four steps:

      1. Disconnect the StopTop carbon filter and pump water into a temporary
      container at a rate of less than 10 strokes per minute.
      2. Remove the inlet hose from the water source and pump the purifier
      until air comes out of the output hose.
      3. Place the inlet hose into the temporary container and pump water
      into your water bottle or
      canteen at a rate of less than 10 strokes/minute.
      4. Let the water stand for 20-minutes before consumption.

      We are sorry for this inconvenience, but want to make sure that you
      achieve desired performance from your purifier.
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
        Yup...I got two of those....no replacement, of course, but I did get the notices. But it still uses iodine to purify. It just also backwashes carbon forever. I threw my first one away at NOC. The Pur rep said he'd never heard of such a problem and asked if I'd take a replacement and use it if he set it up. I did. The second unit did the same thing. Later they came out with the recall. I shipped the unit home and continued on with my Sweetwater. I'd only bought the Pur because my Sweetwater is MIA in the mail.
        Jerry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2001
          Following is an E-mail I received from PUR on January 6.
          ========

          Subject:      Message from PUR Outdoor Products

          Thanks for contacting PUR.
          I can certainly understand your frustration. We feel it here, too. Please
          understand that the recommendation being made about the use of the purifiers is
          geared toward the worst possible conditions under which you would use the
          purifier. In most conditions, virus kill is immediate when they come in contact
          with iodine. The only situation when this is not the case is when the water you
          want to filter meets ALL THREE of these conditions: Heavily contaminated water,
          extremely cold water (around 32 degrees F), and water with a high pH level. If
          you're reasonably certain that the water you're filtering does not meet these
          conditions, you'll be just fine using a single pass with out the Stop Top. We're
          confident the purifier filters meet or exceed the claims. No changes are being
          made to the filters themselves. We're simply advising an extra measure of
          precaution and common sense until the EPA gives its approval.

          I hope this helps you make more sense of the issue. If you have additional
          questions, please drop me a line anytime.

          Juergen,  1088180
          USA PUR Team

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
            My problem wasn't with the quality of the filtering...it was with the carbon getting into the finial water. With out the carbon element it was with the iodine taste. My Pur is still in the "Sell it at the next yard sale" case. I'm 53...I'm not sure how long I have to wait for the replacement. They didn't have to wait to spend my money.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001
              Interesting how different people have different experiences with the same gear. I actually have 2 Sweetwaters (don't ask....long embarrassing story). The oldest is ....gee, well over 6 years old, I guess. The newer one is about 2 years old. I've never had a moments trouble from either one of them. I've used them both quite a lot. One of them are what I carry as back up for anything else I'm trying. I saw a guy in the outfitters in Hot Springs N.C. that had broke the handle on his....just can't see how it happened.
              Jerry
              I have a guardian sweetwater... tried it the first time on a canoe trip this past Oct...it broke after about 1/2 liter....manufacture said the check valve broke...they replaced it, but I still carry iodine tabs as back up...Mike
            • Michael Tocci
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2001