RE: [BackpackGearTest] Digest Number 94

  • Chad F Williams
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
      No, I'm not in the Army. I used to live in Lake
      Charles and the only place to do some really good
      hiking was in Kisatchie.

      --- Ernest Engman <ebengman@...> wrote:
      > I don't know what type of filter it is either, but I
      > have been thinking of
      > getting a filter.
      >
      > I found a Safewater Anywhere in-line on sale for
      > $21.99 (normally $34.99) at
      > a local gun store. It weighs 2oz and goes right in
      > the line for your
      > hydration system. I'm planning to get one and use it
      > as a gravity system,
      > and in some situations as it is intended by just
      > drinking through it. It
      > only weighs 2oz according to a guy I know that
      > bought one.
      >
      > I'll also wait for the testing of this new filter
      > and see if I can get in on
      > the testing.
      >
      > Ernest
      >
      > PS Are you in the Army as well? I'm at Ft. Polk.

      =====
      Chad Williams - Theta Rho #010
      Homepage: http://users.ev1.net/~chadwilliams/
      e-mail: Kimchad97@...
      s-mail: 4818 Roserock Ln.
      Spring, TX 77388-4339
      phone: (281)528-0415

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
        Actually, according to the Pur website, the Voyageur uses "TritekĀ® technology with iodinated resin" as a "Purification System".  I'm pretty sure that's a really cool name for iodine in the filter element. The filter is described as "0.3 micron pleated AntiClog™ filter, 160 sq. in. surface area". It would have to go down to .02 microns to filter out viruses on it's own with no chemical assist. I know the original Katadyn went that far but it is the only one I know of that could filter out viruses with out chemicals. BTW, I've got a Voyageur with very little use I'd let go cheap....=o). I never got the new carbon for the StopTop carbon filter, of course. I was generally unimpressed with mine. If I had to have a pump I'd use a Sweetwater. It's lighter, about as fast, cheaper, and you can still use Aqua Mira or iodine if you're worried about viruses.
        Jerry
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
          Ernest,
          You must be doing your hiking near Shreveport.  I live in New Orleans and have to go to the Black Creek trail to get in some good overnight hiking trips.

          Phil

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 20, 2001
            In a message dated 1/15/01 10:05:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            orangebug74@... writes:

            Assuming the company has gotten FDA material for premarketing tests

            Does the FDA approve backpacking water filters/purifiers ?  I could not find
            anything about it using the search engine on their web site:
            http://www.fda.gov/search.html, but I am not the best of searchers.  I though
            there might be a list of approved filters and some indication of the results
            of the testing.

            The CDC has a web page on purifying water that seems authoritative.  It has a
            link to filters tested by the NSF.  Their testing is limited to the removal
            of protozoa (Giardia and Cryptosporidium), but not for their ability to
            remove bacteria or viruses.

            I like the idea of third party testing of backpacking filters (and chemical
            treatments) for effectiveness.  Does any organization do that sort of testing
            or are we left relying of the integrity of the manufacturers ?

            Bill Murdoch

          • Gear Tester
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 21, 2001
              As I understand it, Ryan's lab will be testing filters for effectiveness and publishing the results in a near future issue of BackpackingLight.com.
              Jerry
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 21, 2001
                Bill Murdoch asked, "... Does any organization do that sort of testing or are we left relying on the integrity of the manufacturers?"

                Jerry's response, "As I understand it, Ryan's lab will be testing filters for effectiveness and publishing the results in a near future issue of BackpackingLight.com."

                I'm glad to hear this. I have always either drunk the local water straight (maybe mixed with some Scotch), or trusted my Pur filter. When hiking, camping, panning the sierra Nevadas I just dipped it up and drank it. Haven't died yet. But, that was over 30 years ago. Not sure what the water there is like now.

                Test results from an independent lab would surely lend some credence to manufacturer's ads and instruction booklets. After reading the ads etc., I bought a Pur water treater thingey-do because I figured if I was going to ere with drinking water, I wanted to err on the side of safety. I had already enjoyed all the "intestinal upset" I could stand in Nam. Didn't want to enjoy any more.

                As I see it, the combination of a democratic form of government and a capitalistic economy provide us so many choices, that we are virtually boggled by the variety. I don't think that oppressive societies in some other large countries I could site, could either produce the variety and quality we see here, nor invite gaggles of unwashed peasants (such as us) to test and openly report results.

                This is such a unique opportunity, that we may lose sight of just how unique it really is. Huddled masses (male & female, old & young, experienced and tenderfoot, highly educated and self-taught) yearning to speak freely about the plethora of consumer goods. Think about it, folks; think about it.

                Keep your paddle wet and your powder dry.

                Kayak Jack
                Doing what you like is FREEDOM
                Liking what you do is HAPPINESS