Re: [BackpackGearTest] Digest Number 94

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
      When we are ready to start the test I'll post details of the product, the scope of the test, tester requirements, time frame, and a call for testers that comply. Look for that post and apply then.
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
        I'm new, so forgive me for not knowing which filter
        ya'll are talking about. While hiking the Caroline
        Dorman trail in Kisatchie (Louisiana) we used a Pur
        Hiker filter on the cleanest water we could find,
        which was still stagnant but not an actual mud puddle,
        and it worked well. The water was still nasty, but
        taste isn't what's important. We just added some
        cherry flavoring from our MRE's and dubbed it
        "Kisatchie Kool-Aid".

        --- Ernest Engman <ebengman@...> wrote:
        > I'm interested in testing a filter. I hike here in
        > Louisiana, and the water
        > is often stagnant or at best barely flowing. Sources
        > are often flowing
        > through places where wild horses graze and there is
        > most likely fecees (sp?)
        > in the water and possibly chemicals from
        > agriculture. I have been packing
        > potable water and only doing short trips while
        > contemplating finally
        > breaking down and getting a filter. I'm an iodine
        > only guy for years.
        >
        > I would definitely put it through some paces here
        > with this water and my
        > desire for a multi day backcountry trip.
        >
        > Is it an in-line, pump, gravity, or what?
        >
        > Ernest Engman

        =====
        Chad Williams - Theta Rho #010
        Homepage: http://users.ev1.net/~chadwilliams/
        e-mail: Kimchad97@...
        s-mail: 4818 Roserock Ln.
        Spring, TX 77388-4339
        phone: (281)528-0415

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Ernest Engman
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
          I don't know what type of filter it is either, but I have been thinking of getting a filter.

          I found a Safewater Anywhere in-line on sale for $21.99 (normally $34.99) at a local gun store. It weighs 2oz and goes right in the line for your hydration system. I'm planning to get one and use it as a gravity system, and in some situations as it is intended by just drinking through it. It only weighs 2oz according to a guy I know that bought one.

          I'll also wait for the testing of this new filter and see if I can get in on the testing.

          Ernest

          PS Are you in the Army as well? I'm at Ft. Polk.
        • David Spellman
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
            No, that's not why PUR filters were recalled.

            It had nothing whatever to do with an "iodine core" but had to do with
            the charcoal postfilter. PUR doesn't rely on iodine to kill the crawlies
            -- it relies on a filter that's too small for them to get through --
            specifically, the filter inside the body of the unit. The charcoal
            postfilter on the Voyageur series was suffering from a run of charcoal
            that wasn't up to snuff. If you read the information that PUR put out at
            the time, you'll see that the filters were just fine for all of the
            nasties but the viruses (virii) which usually don't crop up in the US.

            While there is an iodine compound on the surface of the filter, it's not
            there to kill the bugs as they go through, but to kill bugs that get
            trapped on the surface of the filter during the filtration process. In
            this case, those guys are trapped there until the next time you backwash
            the filter, so it's better to have them dead than not, and there's
            plenty of time to kill them while they're hanging around.

            In short, you're not drinking water with iodine-killed bugs when you
            drink PUR water they way you are when you just toss iodine tabs into
            water. They're simply not there at all, having been eliminated entirely
            by the filter. In addition to the bugs, PUR gets rid of almost all of
            the silt, crap and debris in the water -- stuff that you end up
            drinking when you just treat the water with iodine. You really should
            check the PUR filters out and find out how they work -- especially
            before you deliver uninformed opinions.

            david

            BackpackGearTest@egroups.com wrote:
            > Message: 1
            > Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:40:42 -0600
            > From: "Bryan Signorelli" <bsignorelli@...>
            > Subject: RE: Digest Number 93
            >
            > Just a comment...
            >
            > Have you ever wondered why any kind of iodine treatment system tells you to
            > let the water remain in contact with the iodine for at LEAST 20-30 mins and
            > if the water is ral cold then the treatment should be longer? This is
            > because the iodine has to have time to kill off the bad things.
            >
            > This is where the PUR filters fail to do much of anything. You pump the
            > water through the filter and the iodine treatment part and then through a
            > charcoal filter and it removes the iodine (taste?) from the water. There is
            > no prolongd contact time.
            >
            > IMHO, this may be why all the PUR filters with the iodine core were recalled
            > recently.
            >
            > Bryan Signorelli

          • Chad F Williams
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
              No, I'm not in the Army. I used to live in Lake
              Charles and the only place to do some really good
              hiking was in Kisatchie.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
                Actually, according to the Pur website, the Voyageur uses "TritekĀ® technology with iodinated resin" as a "Purification System".  I'm pretty sure that's a really cool name for iodine in the filter element. The filter is described as "0.3 micron pleated AntiClog™ filter, 160 sq. in. surface area". It would have to go down to .02 microns to filter out viruses on it's own with no chemical assist. I know the original Katadyn went that far but it is the only one I know of that could filter out viruses with out chemicals. BTW, I've got a Voyageur with very little use I'd let go cheap....=o). I never got the new carbon for the StopTop carbon filter, of course. I was generally unimpressed with mine. If I had to have a pump I'd use a Sweetwater. It's lighter, about as fast, cheaper, and you can still use Aqua Mira or iodine if you're worried about viruses.
                Jerry
                No, that's not why PUR filters were recalled.

                It had nothing whatever to do with an "iodine core"  but had to do with
                the charcoal postfilter. PUR doesn't rely on iodine to kill the crawlies
                -- it relies on a filter that's too small for them to get through --
                specifically, the filter inside the body of the unit. The charcoal
                postfilter on the Voyageur series was suffering from a run of charcoal
                that wasn't up to snuff. If you read the information that PUR put out at
                the time, you'll see that the filters were just fine for all of the
                nasties but the viruses (virii) which usually don't crop up in the US.

                While there is an iodine compound on the surface of the filter, it's not
                there to kill the bugs as they go through, but to kill bugs that get
                trapped on the surface of the filter during the filtration process. In
                this case, those guys are trapped there until the next time you backwash
                the filter, so it's better to have them dead than not, and there's
                plenty of time to kill them while they're hanging around.

                In short, you're not drinking water with iodine-killed bugs when you
                drink PUR water they way you are when you just toss iodine tabs into
                water. They're simply not there at all, having been eliminated entirely
                by the filter. In addition to the bugs, PUR gets rid of almost all of
                the  silt, crap and debris in the water -- stuff that you end up
                drinking when you just treat the water with iodine.  You really should
                check the PUR filters out and find out how they work -- especially
                before you deliver uninformed opinions.

                      david

                BackpackGearTest@egroups.com wrote:
                > Message: 1
                >    Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:40:42 -0600
                >    From: "Bryan Signorelli" <bsignorelli@...>
                > Subject: RE: Digest Number 93
                >
                > Just a comment...
                >
                > Have you ever wondered why any kind of iodine treatment system tells you to
                > let the water remain in contact with the iodine for at LEAST 20-30 mins and
                > if the water is ral cold then the treatment should be longer?  This is
                > because the iodine has to have time to kill off the bad things.
                >
                > This is where the PUR filters fail to do much of anything.  You pump the
                > water through the filter  and the iodine treatment part and then through a
                > charcoal filter and it removes the iodine (taste?) from the water.  There is
                > no prolongd contact time.
                >
                > IMHO, this may be why all the PUR filters with the iodine core were recalled
                > recently.
                >
                > Bryan Signorelli

              • Phil Jones
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 15, 2001
                  Ernest,
                  You must be doing your hiking near Shreveport.  I live in New Orleans and have to go to the Black Creek trail to get in some good overnight hiking trips.

                  Phil

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 20, 2001
                    In a message dated 1/15/01 10:05:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    orangebug74@... writes:

                    Assuming the company has gotten FDA material for premarketing tests

                    Does the FDA approve backpacking water filters/purifiers ?  I could not find
                    anything about it using the search engine on their web site:
                    http://www.fda.gov/search.html, but I am not the best of searchers.  I though
                    there might be a list of approved filters and some indication of the results
                    of the testing.

                    The CDC has a web page on purifying water that seems authoritative.  It has a
                    link to filters tested by the NSF.  Their testing is limited to the removal
                    of protozoa (Giardia and Cryptosporidium), but not for their ability to
                    remove bacteria or viruses.

                    I like the idea of third party testing of backpacking filters (and chemical
                    treatments) for effectiveness.  Does any organization do that sort of testing
                    or are we left relying of the integrity of the manufacturers ?

                    Bill Murdoch

                  • Gear Tester
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 21, 2001
                      As I understand it, Ryan's lab will be testing filters for effectiveness and publishing the results in a near future issue of BackpackingLight.com.
                      Jerry
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 21, 2001
                        Bill Murdoch asked, "... Does any organization do that sort of testing or are we left relying on the integrity of the manufacturers?"

                        Jerry's response, "As I understand it, Ryan's lab will be testing filters for effectiveness and publishing the results in a near future issue of BackpackingLight.com."

                        I'm glad to hear this. I have always either drunk the local water straight (maybe mixed with some Scotch), or trusted my Pur filter. When hiking, camping, panning the sierra Nevadas I just dipped it up and drank it. Haven't died yet. But, that was over 30 years ago. Not sure what the water there is like now.

                        Test results from an independent lab would surely lend some credence to manufacturer's ads and instruction booklets. After reading the ads etc., I bought a Pur water treater thingey-do because I figured if I was going to ere with drinking water, I wanted to err on the side of safety. I had already enjoyed all the "intestinal upset" I could stand in Nam. Didn't want to enjoy any more.

                        As I see it, the combination of a democratic form of government and a capitalistic economy provide us so many choices, that we are virtually boggled by the variety. I don't think that oppressive societies in some other large countries I could site, could either produce the variety and quality we see here, nor invite gaggles of unwashed peasants (such as us) to test and openly report results.

                        This is such a unique opportunity, that we may lose sight of just how unique it really is. Huddled masses (male & female, old & young, experienced and tenderfoot, highly educated and self-taught) yearning to speak freely about the plethora of consumer goods. Think about it, folks; think about it.

                        Keep your paddle wet and your powder dry.

                        Kayak Jack
                        Doing what you like is FREEDOM
                        Liking what you do is HAPPINESS