Test product to go after?

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
      http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/prosuite.cfm

      I've been pretty frustrated with the basic functions that NG Topo
      gives me when importing GPS data onto maps. In particular, I can't
      take data points from an external file, or from the GPS that are
      saved as waypoints/tracks, and import/draw them in NG as a basic
      track. All those waypoints really muck up the map, and if you hide
      them the track goes away too :(

      If you just walk with your GPS on, and import the track, or
      breadcrumbs, into basic NG you can get the basic path drawn, sans
      waypoints.

      I'm told that the prosuite version allows one to upload
      waypoints/routes as tracks, and has a host of other features that the
      basic use may "desire." All that ranting on the NG SW... it might
      not be a case of shortsightedness on the part of NG as much as the
      features being in another product, albeit a product the consumer may
      not be aware of (none of my local NG SW vendors carry it).

      I see BGT as being a good candidate to review the pro suite and let
      the customers know the skinny. Just what does that $500 get them,
      from a practical, end-user, standpoint?

      Might be something to look into at the upcoming OR show.
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        So far as I can see, ProSuite is designed to work with ArcGIS
        products, as an add-on, not a standalone. As such, it is probably
        major overkill. I don't know what the current single-server license
        for ArcGIS 9 (the latest version) runs, but it is very expensive. It
        is also a very difficult program, as are many GIS apps. They are
        really designed for pros in the field. It all seems a bit too much
        effort and expense for importing GPS trails. Can't recall if DeLorme's
        Topoquads (which I use) works differently from Topo! as I rarely do
        the breadcrumb thing. But it is good for waypoints up/down.

        Having said that, if someone were to throw a copy of ArcGIS and the
        National Geographic program my way, I would be one happy camper. I
        love maps and mapmaking! But it ain't going to happen...

        Ted.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...> wrote:

        > http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/prosuite.cfm
        >

        > I've been pretty frustrated with the basic functions that NG Topo
        > gives me when importing GPS data onto maps. In particular, I can't
        > take data points from an external file, or from the GPS that are
        > saved as waypoints/tracks, and import/draw them in NG as a basic
        > track. All those waypoints really muck up the map, and if you hide
        > them the track goes away too :(
        >
        > If you just walk with your GPS on, and import the track, or
        > breadcrumbs, into basic NG you can get the basic path drawn, sans
        > waypoints.
        >
        > I'm told that the prosuite version allows one to upload
        > waypoints/routes as tracks, and has a host of other features that the
        > basic use may "desire." All that ranting on the NG SW... it might
        > not be a case of shortsightedness on the part of NG as much as the
        > features being in another product, albeit a product the consumer may
        > not be aware of (none of my local NG SW vendors carry it).
        >
        > I see BGT as being a good candidate to review the pro suite and let
        > the customers know the skinny. Just what does that $500 get them,
        > from a practical, end-user, standpoint?
        >
        > Might be something to look into at the upcoming OR show.
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          Andy,
          I was an ArcGIS user at a Civil Engineering firm that
          I used to work at and it was great for doing dirt take
          offs and for cut and fill adjustments for properties.
          To be honest, I used to use DeLormes Topo program more
          than the ArcGIS program. It was much easier to
          navigate through. I actually applied for the Delorme
          Topo USA test call but didn't get picked cause I knew
          that softwear would be awesome for GIS use. For what
          it's worth, I would lean towards DeLorme.

          --- Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

          > http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/prosuite.cfm
          >

          > I've been pretty frustrated with the basic functions
          > that NG Topo
          > gives me when importing GPS data onto maps. In
          > particular, I can't
          > take data points from an external file, or from the
          > GPS that are
          > saved as waypoints/tracks, and import/draw them in
          > NG as a basic
          > track. All those waypoints really muck up the map,
          > and if you hide
          > them the track goes away too :(
          >
          > If you just walk with your GPS on, and import the
          > track, or
          > breadcrumbs, into basic NG you can get the basic
          > path drawn, sans
          > waypoints.
          >
          > I'm told that the prosuite version allows one to
          > upload
          > waypoints/routes as tracks, and has a host of other
          > features that the
          > basic use may "desire." All that ranting on the NG
          > SW... it might
          > not be a case of shortsightedness on the part of NG
          > as much as the
          > features being in another product, albeit a product
          > the consumer may
          > not be aware of (none of my local NG SW vendors
          > carry it).
          >
          > I see BGT as being a good candidate to review the
          > pro suite and let
          > the customers know the skinny. Just what does that
          > $500 get them,
          > from a practical, end-user, standpoint?
          >
          > Might be something to look into at the upcoming OR
          > show.

          =====
          Chuck Carnes

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Brian
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
            Sounds like you want to import a few waypoints then make a track ot of
            that? In Delorme Topo 5.0, you can do that.

            Brian