Fw: owner review (North Face Cat's Meow)20* bag

  • m.chasen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
      From: m.chasen
      To: BackpackGeartest@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 02, 2005 12:42 PM
      Subject: owner review (North Face Cat's Meow)20* bag

      Bio

      MattChasen
      32
      5'10"
      160'
      m.chasen@...
      Columbia,Mo 65203 USA
      Jan. 2, 2005

      Background: I have been going backpacking since about 1995 but have a camped and hiked alot before then too.
      I am currently building myself up for some longer hikes. The longest up till now being thirty miles in the Ozarks. I'm based out of Columbia,MO and like to hike and explore alot of trails close to here. But spend the longer Treks on the Ot and other trails in Southern Mo and Arkansas. I also enjoy caving, climbing, canoeing, rapelling, and most outdoor sports.

      review: North Face Cats Meow 20* bag

      Bought new in 2001. Spent alot nights in this bag and it seem to be alittle overrated. Ever since it was new it just wouldn't keep me very warm any were below thirty degrees and on some thirty degree nights it just still seemed cold. Its made well and designed to be lightweight and copressable and does great in these areas. However the bottom just doesn't have enough fill in it and leaves your back cold.(especially if you turn on your side) Bag did not seem to hold its loft very well after I went for a week on the OT> Just never regained its loft. I've never washed it and don't believe its ever been really soaked either. So anyway, I do love the bag to some degree but just wish it would keep me warmer in the colder seasons.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        Hello and welcome to BGT.

        Thanks for posting your Owner Reviews, however, a quick review of
        them shows they are missing some required information. Before we can
        add them to the Owner Review Queue and ultimately have an Editor
        check them out they must have the missing components. Please take a
        careful look at the documents at
        and
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php> [Chapter 3], clean
        up and add to your Owner Reviews so they more closely comply with
        these requirements and then resubmit them. It may also be helpful to
        go to our webpage http://www.backpackgeartest.org and read through a
        few recent Owner Reviews so you can get a feel for the format we use.

        In the meantime if you feel like you would like some assistance with
        this process, we do have a mentor program. If you are interested,
        just let me know and we'll get you squared away.

        Again welcome to the group.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer
      • m.chasen
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
          Jamie, thank you for the reply, I would definitely not mind a mentor. As its easier to take it in the field than it is to write about it. Though I have had experience writting trip reports for the caving grotto and field reports for the stream team, these will help me some I believe. Though, I'll take all the advice I can get. This is just the deal I've been looking for since, backpacking can be such an expensive hobby and it really bites to spend money on something that does'nt work out. Matt Chasen
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2005
            Okay Matt. I emailed Stephanie, our mentor captain and I'm sure she
            will get back to as soon as possible. Hang tight. In the mean time
            take some time to read through some of the Owner Reviews and Tests
            listed on the webpage so you can get a feel for what kind of writing
            BGT is looking for.

            jamie d

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "m.chasen" <m.chasen@m...>