FR - Shak Jersey - Rick

  • Rick Allnutt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2005
      FR - Shak Jersey - Rick
      Due 4 Jan 05
      Posted 2 Jan 05
      Tester: Rick Allnutt
      Product: IBEX Shak Jersey
      Posted with a picture here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR%20-%20Shak%20Jersey%20-%20Rick/

      The jersey continues to do great! I enjoy hiking with it. Here is my
      Field Report:

      IBEX
      Shak Jersey
      Field Report by Rick Allnutt

      Shak Jersey

      Shak Jersey (left) on two night hike in Shenandoah National Park

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Rick Allnutt
      51 Year old male
      6' 0'' (183 cm) in height
      200 lbs (91 kg) in weight
      Email address: rick (at) BackpackGearTest (dot) org
      Personal Hiking Page: http://www.imrisk.com
      I live in Dayton, Ohio

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      Over the last several years, I have become an ultralight camper with a
      three-season base pack weight of about 15 lb (7 kg) and skin out weight
      of 23 lb (10 1/2 kg). I have completed many section hikes on the
      Appalachian Trail (AT) in all four seasons, with a total mileage of
      about 600 miles (966 km). I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make
      much of my own equipment.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: IBEX Outdoor Clothing, LLC
      Year Manufactured: 2004
      Manufacturer's Link: http://www.ibexwear.com
      MSRP: US$125
      Size: Large
      Measured Weight: 16.7 oz (472 g) (measured to the gram)

      TEST CONDITIONS
      I have used the Jersey on a number of day hikes and two AT section
      hikes. The first section was in Northern Tennessee and North Carolina.
      Temperatures ranged as low as 50 F (10 C) for the five-day hike in
      October. In late November, I went on a two-night AT walk in Shenandoah
      National Park with my sons (photo above). Temperatures were as low as
      40 F (4 C) and we were walking in a dripping fog for most of the time.
      The Jersey was a great piece of insulation in these moist-cool conditions.

      REVIEW

      For a detailed description of the Jersey's construction, see my Initial
      Report.

      The Shak Jersey is a pullover made from 11.5 oz/sq yd (388 g/sq m)
      merino wool knit fabric. This midlayer pullover is exactly what I need
      for the winter camping. I use a pullover every day while hiking in cool
      weather. I often sleep in a pullover, and wear it until the air
      temperatures reach 50-55 F (10-13 C). It is important that the pullover
      be comfortable under my pack's shoulder straps, and that it keeps me
      warm even when moist from sweat or light precipitation. The Shak Jersey
      has worked out very well in my hiking thus far.

      Some descriptive words about the Shak Jersey from the IBEX website are:
      - The ultimate performance midlayer.
      - Worn as an insulating midlayer, or as a breathable mild-weather outer
      layer.
      - Dense knit breathable Merino sheds water, snow and wind.
      - Flatlock construction.
      - Deep zip for ventilation.
      - Durable stretch. Semi fit.
      - Easy Care. Machine Washable.

      The material, from first wearing, seems quite comfortable even against
      bare skin. It is not at all scratchy or irritating. After two months of
      use, I have not found the material of the Jersey to be anything but soft
      and comfortable. I have worn it dry and moist. I have worn it to dry
      it after washing in a trailside stream.

      The sage color has been pleasing to me on the trail. It matches well
      with the colors of the woods while contrasting well with the other
      clothing I hike with, so that I can easily pick out what I want from my
      clothes bag even in dim light. The color is dark enough to make dirt
      spots not obvious, yet light enough to be seen well in dim light.

      The material sheds a light mist and does not compact when moist. It
      retains most of its insulating quality when wet. Against my bare arms,
      it feels warm and comfortable even when I get sweaty. Unlike some other
      wool garments I have worn, the Jersey does not get baggy with use in wet
      conditions. It retains its springy good fit.

      In short, my first two months with the Shak Jersey meets or exceeds all
      expectations. This mid-layer top has the quality one would expect from
      an experienced team of designers and executed well by all those who put
      it together.
    • cmcrooker
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
        IBEX Shak Jersey
        Field Report by Rick Allnutt

        Happy New Year Risk,
        Your online version looks good - links work, nice photo.
        Below are my suggestions enclosed between *** *** marks.
        Carol, Monitor

        The Shak Jersey is a pullover made from 11.5 oz/sq yd (388 g/sq m)
        merino wool knit fabric. This midlayer pullover is exactly what I
        need for the winter camping.
        *** for winter camping ***

        I have worn it to dry it after washing in a trailside stream.
        ***Rick, for my own personal knowledge (and you might choose to put
        it in your review too), what was the temperature when you wore the
        Shak to dry it, and how long did it take? One reason I don't wear
        midweight wool is drying time, so your experience drying the Shak is
        very interesting to me.
      • Rick Allnutt
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
          Hi Carol,

          Thanks for the edit and compliment. I made the change for the typo.

          As best I remember, the time that I wore the Jersey to dry it, the day
          was getting near to warm and was a sunny day. It took a while, but not
          too long to dry. That does not add much info, unfortunately. I will try
          to record some actual drying times and weather for the LTR.

          Uploaded and test version deleted.

          Rick

          cmcrooker wrote:

          >IBEX Shak Jersey
          >Field Report by Rick Allnutt
          >
          >Happy New Year Risk,
          >Your online version looks good - links work, nice photo.
          >Below are my suggestions enclosed between *** *** marks.
          >Carol, Monitor
          >

          >The Shak Jersey is a pullover made from 11.5 oz/sq yd (388 g/sq m)
          >merino wool knit fabric. This midlayer pullover is exactly what I
          >need for the winter camping.
          >*** for winter camping ***
          >

          >I have worn it to dry it after washing in a trailside stream.
          >***Rick, for my own personal knowledge (and you might choose to put
          >it in your review too), what was the temperature when you wore the
          >Shak to dry it, and how long did it take? One reason I don't wear
          >midweight wool is drying time, so your experience drying the Shak is
          >very interesting to me.

        • cmcrooker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2005
            Thanks Rick,