IR - Cup 2 go - Rick (Attn Shane)

  • Rick Allnutt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      IR - Cup 2 go - Rick

      Product: Cup 2 go (out-of-cycle review)
      Tester: Rick Allnutt
      Special Monitor: Shane Steinkamp
      Date posted: 2 January

      Uploaded to the test site at:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Cup%202%20go%20-%20Rick/

      Here you go Shane. I appreciate your efforts to complete this
      obligation to the manufacturer. I am happy to do the testing and
      reporting. Thanks for taking on the editing.

      Edit away.

      Cup 2 go
      Initial Report by Rick Allnutt

      (Cup 2 go picture)

      PERSONAL BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Rick Allnutt
      51 Year old male
      6' 0'' (183 cm) in height
      200 lbs (91 kg) in weight
      Email address: rick (at) BackpackGearTest (dot) org
      Trail name: Risk
      Personal Hiking Page: http://www.imrisk.com
      I live in Dayton, Ohio

      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      Over the last several years, I have become an ultralight camper with a
      three-season base pack weight of about 15 lb (7 kg) and skin out weight
      of 23 lb (10 1/2 kg). I have completed many section hikes on the
      Appalachian Trail (AT) in all four seasons, with a total mileage of
      about 600 miles (966 km). I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make
      much of my own equipment.

      PRODUCT INFORMATION
      Manufacturer: Big Sky Products
      Year Manufactured: 2004
      Manufacturer's Link: http://www.bigskyproducts.com
      MSRP: US$2.99
      Listed Weight: 1.2 oz (34 g)
      Measured Weight: 1.2 oz (34 g) (measured to the gram)
      Measured Volume: 8.0 oz (0.24 L)

      REVIEW
      The Cup 2 go is a plastic cup with handle marked in quarter cups with
      lines and printing on the inside surface of the cup and surrounded by a
      neoprene exterior cozy that covers the bottom and 3/4 of the side of the
      cup. This neoprene is 1/8 in (3 mm) thick and has been butt welded at a
      seam on the side and around the bottom of the cozy. A small hole in the
      center of the bottom allows air or liquids to flow through the cozy,
      making it easy to put the cozy on or remove it.

      Several attributes of the cup are listed on the Big Sky Products
      Internet site:

      - insulated cup
      - great for keeping coffee, tea, or hot chocolate hot
      - measuring cup - 1/4C (2oz), 1/2C (4oz), 3/4C (6oz), and 1 cup (8oz)
      - perfect for the lightweight backpacker on a budget
      - weighs 1/2 as much as an insulated titanium cup, yet only
      costs 1/10 the price of an insulated titanium cup!
      - made from durable plastic and neoprene

      The plastic cup and the cozy are somewhat conical in shape. This makes
      it very easy to remove the cozy. In my first few days of using the cup,
      I have automatically begun to slip a finger under the cup to make sure
      the cozy does not fall off. This hand position is demonstrated by the
      photo above.

      The cup is of good quality, made from a slightly deformable plastic, and
      imparts no taste to cold or hot liquids. I have used the cup for hot
      coffee and cold water. Because the cozy only comes 3/4 of the way up
      the side of the cup, it does not interfere with my lips when I sip from
      the cup. The cozy itself is constructed of neoprene which is cloth
      covered inside and out. The cloth on the exterior is blue and the cloth
      on the inner surface is black. The seams have been neatly welded. The
      bottom is welded to the sides as an interior plug in such a way that the
      bottom weld is visible only from the bottom of the cozy.

      The cozy is evidently designed for custom imprinting. On two sides of
      the cozy it is labeled in white ink "Your Name Here" and below that
      "www.yourname.com." On the exterior bottom of the cozy, the Big Sky
      Products Internet address is neatly printed. The printing is highly
      contrasting and quite attractive.

      TEST CONDITIONS
      I look forward to using the Cup 2 go on several backpacking trips during
      the winter, spring and summer months. I will use it for morning coffee,
      as my outside-the-pack cup to enjoy drinks from springs along the AT,
      and at the end of the day I will use it to measure the water for my
      evening meal. Between trips, I will be using the cup for my morning
      coffee on a daily basis.

      I will be interested to note:

      - Is the cup durable in the backpacking environment?
      - Does it work to use my finger as shown above to keep the cozy on?
      - Is it easy to keep the cup clean?
      - Does the lettering remain readable over the long haul?
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        > Here you go Shane. I appreciate your efforts to complete this

        > obligation to the manufacturer. I am happy to do the testing and

        > reporting. Thanks for taking on the editing.

        On the contrary, good sir, it is I who should thank you.

        I have a tiny nit-pick, and a comment. Upload when ready. I trust that you
        can create your own folder? ;)

        Shane

        > I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make much of my own equipment.

        NITPICK: For some reason this strikes my post-holiday brain as awkward. I
        think somehow that you should add an 'I' after the 'and'. 'and I make much
        of my own equipment.' Maybe I'm just stoned or something, but to separate
        the sentence, "I am a gearhead. I am a hammock camper. I am a make much of
        my own equipment." doesn't make sense to me.

        > This neoprene is 1/8 in (3 mm) thick and has been butt welded at a

        COMMENT: Huh huh. You said 'butt'.
      • rick@backpackgeartest.org
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          Quoting Shane <shane@...>:

          > > Here you go Shane. I appreciate your efforts to complete this
          >
          > > obligation to the manufacturer. I am happy to do the testing and
          >
          > > reporting. Thanks for taking on the editing.
          >

          > On the contrary, good sir, it is I who should thank you.
          >

          > I have a tiny nit-pick, and a comment. Upload when ready. I trust that you
          > can create your own folder? ;)

          Yes, Can do.

          > Shane
          >

          > > I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make much of my own equipment.
          >

          > NITPICK: For some reason this strikes my post-holiday brain as awkward. I
          > think somehow that you should add an 'I' after the 'and'. 'and I make much
          > of my own equipment.' Maybe I'm just stoned or something, but to separate
          > the sentence, "I am a gearhead. I am a hammock camper. I am a make much of
          > my own equipment." doesn't make sense to me.

          You are correct. I will add I. Maybe Andrew can amend the text of his message
          using my standard background as a good example.

          > > This neoprene is 1/8 in (3 mm) thick and has been butt welded at a
          >

          > COMMENT: Huh huh. You said 'butt'.

          True. Does the bringing of two edges of neoprene together and gluing with
          neoprene glue have another name? I was not intending to be funny, just
          accurate.

          butt: noun
          (a) A joint where the ends of two objects come squarely
          together without scarfing or chamfering; -- also
          called butt joint.

          butt-weld
          noun
          1 butt_weld, butt-weld
          a butt joint that is welded

          I'll go ahead and upload with the assumption that you were making a wisecrack a
          la Beavis and Butthead.

          Rick

        • Joe Martinez
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005

            > > I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make much of my own equipment.
            >
            >NITPICK: For some reason this strikes my post-holiday brain as awkward. I
            >think somehow that you should add an 'I' after the 'and'. 'and I make much
            >of my own equipment.'

            Just to nitpick a little further... I don't think that's gramarically
            correct either. You're talking about 3 things... Two that you "are", and
            one that you "do". So, you either need to make them all the "being", make
            sure that all 3 have their own verbs, or not make it a "list of 3".

            Possibilities:

            I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and an equipment-maker.

            I am a gearhead, camp in a hammock, and make much of my own equipment.

            I am a gearhead and hammock camper, and I make much of my own equipment.

            Of course, this is only technical "correct" grammar stuff. What you said
            originally would be common in speech anyway.

            -Joe

          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
              These are style edits. Style should not be edited unless it is so bad that
              you can't understand what the writer is trying to convey. As long as you can
              fairly easily understand the writer's meaning, it's acceptable. Thanks.

              Jerry

              reviews and tests on the planet.

              > > I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and make much of my own
              > > equipment.
              >
              >NITPICK: For some reason this strikes my post-holiday brain as awkward.
              >I think somehow that you should add an 'I' after the 'and'. 'and I
              >make much of my own equipment.'

              Just to nitpick a little further... I don't think that's gramarically
              correct either. You're talking about 3 things... Two that you "are", and
              one that you "do". So, you either need to make them all the "being", make
              sure that all 3 have their own verbs, or not make it a "list of 3".

              Possibilities:

              I am a gearhead, a hammock camper, and an equipment-maker.

              I am a gearhead, camp in a hammock, and make much of my own equipment.

              I am a gearhead and hammock camper, and I make much of my own equipment.

              Of course, this is only technical "correct" grammar stuff. What you said
              originally would be common in speech anyway.

              -Joe

              Yahoo! Groups Links