EDIT: FTR-Ex Officio Micro Stretch Fleece Skivvy Top-Cora

  • Will Rietveld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi Cora
      Thanks for posting your FTR so promptly. I looked at your html version in the test folder along with your post on the BGT list.

      First, let me compliment you on your html report. It's first class, one of the best I have seen on BGT.org. Your format is great, and your style is clear, concise, and insightful. My only suggestion would be to add some pictures if you can (not required), so readers can see what the top looks like, and maybe see the pilling problem you mentioned.

      My specific edits are keyed to sections of your report. They are all comments for you to consider that might make your report easier to understand. The comments are intended to bring it to your attention; there is no requirement to change it.

      Opinions: This was a great first trip. I put the MSF
      Skivvy through a wide range of demands, and I often forgot
      I even had it on at all. Nice!
      COMMENT: You use the word "Opinions" here, but it seems like "Notes", "Comments", or "Remarks" might be a better term since you are remarking about the garment's performance on that trip. You use the heading "Field Use Opinions" below, which is appropriate since you are reporting your experiences and opinions of the garment.

      Opinions: I was very surprised at the poor wicking the
      MSF Skivvy had. Even with nothing on over the Skivvy but my
      softshell (which breathes amazingly well with anything else
      under it) I felt like I was wearing a plastic bag. The
      Skivvy stuck to my skin everywhere and sweat ran down my
      back and arms. It was a weird experience given my great
      experience on the previous trip.
      COMMENT: This strikes me as an over reaction (here and later on) to say that the top has poor wicking ability after only 1 trip at warmer temperatures. I would expect a softshell jacket over a fleece baselayer at 60F to be hot and steamy inside at a high exertion level. Have you tried wearing the top under a wind shirt or by itself under high exertion activities? It might be good to test some different layering combinations to find out which work best under different conditions, and report on what works and what doesn't work. Perhaps the top does perform like a plastic bag at warmer temperatures, but I would recommend more testing before you reach that conclusion.

      Opinions: At first, due to the bad wicking ability
      demonstrated during the previous trip, I was ready to leave
      the MSF Skivvy at home. But, I brought it anyway to keep
      trying. And with the cold weather, it turned out to be
      another great trip where the MSF Skivvy performed without
      any effort on my part. Yay! This gave me hope for the
      Skivvy in below-freezing weather.
      COMMENT: You mention later on that the MSF Skivvy is comfortable below freezing, but on trip 3 the temperature got up to 45F. Was it uncomfortable during the warmer periods? If not, was it because of the overcast and wind?

      Warmth:
      I liked the warmth the MSF Skivvy provided. The conforming
      stretch did a lot to keep warmth in. Unfortunately, I could
      not use the thumb slots because they chafed my thumbs from
      the short sleeve length, but the sleeve ends were tight
      enough to keep warm air in without using the slots. The
      neck especially kept me warm when zipped up.
      COMMENT: One thing to consider here is that the thumb holes are intended to be used only as an aide to layer another piece of clothing over the MSF Skivvy, so you can pull the sleeves through in spite of the fabric's resistance. It may not be intended that you wear it with your thumbs in the holes (although you did mention that the sleeves tend to ride up). You may want to clarify this.

      Durability:
      The stitching and workmanship are still fine, but the
      fabric pilled up on both the inside and outside on the
      first day of skiing (the fourth day in the field). It
      pilled all over inside, even all the way down the sleeves.
      The outside pilled more in isolated spots, especially
      around my shoulder blades and waist. I take pilling to show
      low durability in fabric, so I was rather disappointed.
      Time will tell more.
      COMMENT: By "low durability" I take it you mean that the fabric breaks down on the surface? In addition to durability, the pilling degrades the appearance of the garment, reduces its insulation (less trapped air), and reduces its wicking ability (less surface area).