Red Ledge FZ Pants LTR (Cora)

  • Cora
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2004
      Hi Colleen,

      Thank you in advance for your editing help.
      I hope you had a good holiday.
      You can view the HTML version at:

      test > TESTS > Red Ledge Full Zip Pants LTR - Cora
      or
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/Red%20Ledge%20Full%20Zip%20Pants%20LTR%20-%20Cora/

      Cora

      Red Ledge Thunderlight Full Zip Pants

      Long Term Report

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Cora Shea Background: I began backpacking in 1997.
      I love backpacking in spring and winter snow more than
      anything, especially on skis. My pack weight ranges from 15
      to 90 lbs (7 to 40 kg), and I vary sleeping in a tarp,
      tent, quinzhee, snowcave, bolt-hole, bivy, people-pile, or
      straight under the stars. I spend a lot of my time
      outdoors, and I prioritize gear durability and
      functionality above weight.
      Age: 24
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 150 lb (70 kg)
      Email address: cahhmc at yahoo dot com
      Location: Los Angeles, California, USA
      Date: December 30, 2004

      Basic Product Information
      Manufacturer: Red Ledge, $50 Year of Manufacture: 2004
      Listed weight: Unknown
      Size: Unisex Medium Weight as delivered:
      11.2 oz / 318 g (pants)
      0.6 oz / 17 g (stuff sack)
      11.8 oz / 335 g (total) My Body Fit Dimensions:
      [Waist Range] x [Inseam]
      30-31 x 32 in (76-79 x 81 cm)

      The Thunderlight Pants are advertised as waterproof
      breathable rain pants with taped seams and full side zips.

      This report covers long term use, care, and maintenance
      from April 2004 through December 2004. For field testing
      performed during April to June, 2004, please see my Field
      Report. For more general product information, more visual
      details, more reporting on appearance, structure, and items
      that can be tested and commented on without field testing,
      please see my Initial Report.

      Field Use Summary

      I continued to use the Red Ledge Pants extensively over the
      summer and into the winter. I have stopped using them as
      the snow really began to fall because of their lack of
      internal gaiters, and their inability to fit over my ski
      boots. They have been used or carried on about fourteen
      trips since my Field Report.

      They traveled all over Southern California, Arizona, and
      the southern Sierra. The terrain was mostly mountainous,
      and I wore the pants in average mountainous three-season
      temperatures (25 to 75 F / -4 to 24 C). They shed rain and
      kept me dry in weather, as advertised.

      During the summer months, I especially liked to carry them
      around. They are light and fit over all of my boots and
      layers that I wore during that time. They served as a great
      wind layer to carry just-in-case and also provided another
      layer of warmth at night when I underpacked a little too
      much. They are very compact, and also lightweight, so I
      would pack them in every pack I carried to be forgotten
      about until I needed them.

      I also have a tendency to go 'sunset watching', which often
      involves bushwhacking up the nearest tall hill to watch the
      sunset. I was consciously quite careful with the pants on
      these excursions, but they came out of every trip
      unscathed. After a while, scratches appeared on the outside
      but only visually and not structurally. This was the worst
      abrasion the pants faced, and they performed well.

      When snow began to fall again but the daytime weather
      stayed relatively warm (about 70 F / 20 C), I discovered
      that wearing the pants to keep my long underwear dry was
      hardly worth it. The warm weather cut down on the
      breathability enough that my long underwear was soaked
      inside of the pants anyway. But, this temperature
      differential is needed for any waterproof-breathable
      coating to work. Instead, I wore softshell pants and kept
      the Red Ledge pants in my pack for windy or non-aerobic and
      wet conditions.

      The pants have been excellent overall. Other than being
      less breathable in warm weather and not doing so well in
      snow over ski boots, I hardly have anything bad to say at
      all. And those uses are pushing the pants out of their
      intended use, I think. For three-season use, I will
      certainly continue to use these pants for as long as they
      last.

      Long Term Opinions

      Care and Maintenance:

      These pants have required very little care and maintenance.
      I got them especially dirty on a few trips, and simply
      washed them in the sink with a few squirts of non-detergent
      soap. They dry very quickly (I never did get the elastic as
      wet as in my Field Report and so never repeated the
      super-long elastic drying time). Generally, the pants just
      get stuffed in and out of my pack and onto my legs without
      complaint.

      Durability:

      The pants are a bit scuffed, and have faded and greyed a
      bit with the dirt they have encountered, but their
      functionality is the same. The zippers have seemed to be
      immune to snags or grime, and the seam tape and
      waterproofing is still going strong. The inside
      waterproof-breathable coating has begun to grey out and
      wear a bit around the knee caps and butt, but with the use
      I've gotten out of the pants, I consider this to be just
      fine and more durable than I expected, if anything. And the
      durable water resistance treatment (DWR) is still repelling
      water nearly as well as the day they came out of the box!

      Summary

      Overall, these pants have been fantastic. They have a great
      fit, especially with the articulated knees, and are very
      easy to get on and off. Their waterproof lining requires a
      large temperature differential (warm inside, very cool
      outside) to work well. They have survived a great deal of
      bushwhacking and abuse, and are still going strong. These
      pants have found a permanent spot in my three-season pack.

      Likes Dislikes
      Great fit Waterproof coating has begun to rub off a little
      Compact and light weight Do not fit over ski boots
    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
        Cora,

        thanks for an easy edit job and for doing such an obviously thorough
        job using the pants in the field. only a couple of suggestions &
        clarifications...

        +++++++++++

        > wind layer to carry just-in-case and also provided another
        > layer of warmth at night when I underpacked a little too
        > much.

        suggestion: instead of hyphenating, i would put "just in case" in
        parentheses. i truly do not know the hard and fast rules for
        hyphenation, and this isn't something that screams "WRONG" at me,
        more something that niggled at me. just my take.

        > unscathed. After a while, scratches appeared on the outside
        > but only visually and not structurally.

        EDIT: please clarify what you mean by "visually and not
        structurally." do you mean that the scratches were only surface
        damage and didn't go through to the wp/b layer? just needs a bit
        more detail.

        honestly, i think that's it. my spellchecker had some quibbles with
        a few words, but i think "snowcave" is just as good as "snow cave,"
        don't you? ;)

        -colleen