APPROVAL: OWNER REVIEW - Victorinox Classic Knife - Curry

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi Russell,
      Nice tidy review. I've made a couple of minor edits and popped in a
      question & suggestion or two that might help add to the usefulness of
      the review.

      Once you've had a chance to fix the edits and make the additions that
      are appropriate, you can upload it to BGT at this url:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Victorinox%20Classic%20Pocket%20Knife/
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/6wjvp
      <<<<<Use either link>>>>>

      When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
      marked Owner Review.

      Thanks again for the nice job.
      Jim
      Edit Moderator

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "mrqcace" <mrqcace@y...> wrote:
      > I am posting my OR for this little knife. The html version can be
      > found here:
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS
      > /OR%20TEST%20-%20VICTORINOX%20CLASSIC%20KNIFE%20-%20CURRY/

      ### When posting an HTML version in the test folder for an OR it
      should be in the Owner Reviews subfolder and not the Tests subfolder
      (which is used for testing uploads for gear undergoing a test series).

      > just locally, in all seasons. My style varies from medium weight to
      > ultra light depending upon the weather, location, and distance

      ### "ultralight"

      > Length: 2 1/4" (58 mm)
      > Weight (as received) 1/2 oz (14 g)
      > Width (as received) 5/16" (8 mm)

      ### How thick is it?

      > Knife Blade - The knife blade comes very sharp, is easy to open and is
      > very strong for its size. It has a sharp point and is good for the
      > things that I need a sharp, small knife blade for while backpacking.

      ### How's it holding up? Still sharp? How easy is it to sharpen? How
      does it hold an edge?

      > but would also serve as a small screwdriver. The width of the flat
      > screwdriver blade is 1/8" (3 mm)
      > Nail Cleaner - Victorinox lists this as a separate feature, which I
      > guess it is, but it is just the flattened tip of the nail file.

      ### Does it work with phillips head as well as slotted screw heads?

      > Scissors - single spring scissors with a shear capacity of 5/8" (16
      > mm) in length. The scissors are very sharp and has cut everything
      > that I have tried to cut with it. This has been paper, cardboard,
      > leather the thickness of the tongue on my shoes, finger and toe nails,
      > nylon cord, string, and webbing on backpacks.

      ### Any issues with dulling of the blades? Can they be sharpened? How?

      > Scissors

      ### Looks like a redundant "Scissors" here.

      > Toothpick - an item maybe not thought about to much when backpacking,
      > however, this item really comes in handy. The toothpick is made of

      ### Considering not much thought is given to this in the absence of
      having one, what use other than the obvious is it good for? Why does
      that make it "really come in handy"?

      > SUMMARY
      >
      > Nice little knife that can be used for light chores, for emergencies
      > or just to carry around on your key chain or lanyard as I do. I was

      ### "on a key"

      > surprised at how much I used the scissors after I first started
      > carrying this knife in my pack. I like 6 of the7 features, but have

      ### "the 7"

      ### Any issues with rust or corrosion? How about the plastic body, is
      it holding up? No cracking or breaking? How about the individual tools
      - any issues with bending or breaking? Is it easy to clean? Do you oil
      it or does it just suffer benign neglect? These might be useful things
      to add to the review.