EDIT: OWNER REVIEW- MSR Alpine Folding Utensils

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2004
      Hi Rachel,

      Nice job with this one. I've made some edits (primarily projection, no
      biggie) and posed some questions and suggestions for additional
      information that would help make this a bit more useful. Once you've
      had a chance to take care of the edits and address the
      questions/suggestions as appropriate, please repost it to the group
      with REPOST added to the subject line so I can pick it up. I'll take
      another look through and should be able to give you the info you'll
      need for uploading it to BGT.

      Thanks again for the nice work.
      Jim
      Edit Moderator

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "rzperllian" <rachel@z...> wrote:

      > circle itself has rows of small holes. The idea is that you hold the
      strainer with the lip on
      > the outside edge of a pot so the holey piece partly covers the pot,
      and tilt the pot to drain
      > water through the holes while the strainer keeps your food in your
      pot. If you tilt the pot
      > away from you, then you hold the pot with you right hand and the
      strainer with your left;
      > the opposite is true for pouring towards yourself. The handle
      doesn't lock into place, but
      > the strainer is designed so that as you push it against the pot
      you're also keeping the

      ### Rewrite this all in 1st person form and eliminate all references
      to "you/your/yours/you'll/you're".

      > with a hole cut in the middle (again to reduce weight). Unlike your
      typical pancake-turner,

      ### "Unlike the typical"

      > teardrop shaped (part of one edge is flat), with a flat bottom (so
      you can put it down and it

      ### "so it can be put down"

      > will stay balanced). The inside of the cup has measurement lines
      drawn all around it
      > (contour-style) at 1 tbsp/15ml, 2 tbsp/30ml, 1/4c/60ml, and 1/3c/80ml.

      ### Do these measurement lines create any kind of cleaning issue where
      the food builds up & is hard to clean?

      > cups), none of which were designed for backpacking. I've only had
      the opportunity to
      > bring these utensils on a few one-night trips since I've acquired
      them, but I've also

      ### How many is "a few". We like to make sure that you've had enough
      experience with an item to shake out any flaws that might not be
      apparent initially or even over the course of a couple of months. We
      prefer to see a season or two of experience with gear before you write
      a review of it.

      > friendly and haven't left a scratch yet. After 3-4 months of
      constant kitchen use
      > (especially for the spatula), they still look as good as new.

      ### So you use them at home too? It's ok to supplement field testing
      with other use but the focus needs to be on its backpacking use.

      > The strainer is the least impressive of these tools. While it's
      definitely handy for it's

      ### "for its"

      > intended task, it doesn't work with all pots: they have to be the
      right shape and have the

      ### What's "the right shape"? Can you describe this? It would help the
      readers.

      > that's not what you've got, it can slip off easily. The holes are
      big enough that spaghetti

      ### "that's not what's being used, it"

      > and other thin/small items slip through, which is especially uncool
      in the back-country. If
      > your pots aren't easy to hold with one hand, then you're out of luck
      (though in theory you
      > could recruit a hiking buddy, I guess). It seems pretty extravagant
      to carry such a specific

      ### "the pots"..."then it's awkward to use (though in theory a hiking
      buddy could be recruited to hold the pot or the strainer, I guess)" or
      something to that effect

      > tool around; you're much better off learning to hold your pot lid on
      to act as a strainer

      ### first person please -- "I find I'm much better off holding the pot
      lid"

      > pancake-turner/hamburger flipper, particularly if your pot is deep.
      If you strive for
      > immaculate back-country crepes, then perhaps this tool is not for
      you. If you're content to
      > have your pancakes occasionally turn into batter-scramble, then this
      spatula will do you
      > well.

      ### Rewrite this all in 1st person form and eliminate all references
      to "you/your/yours/you'll/you're".

      > The spoon is my favorite of the three utensils. Obviously, it can
      accomplish the basic task
      > of stirring (so can that stick you're sitting next to). What makes
      it particularly useful is its

      ### "so can any stick on the ground" or something to that effect

      > ability to morph into a measuring cup and a ladle, as needed. Even
      if all you're doing is

      ### "if all I'm doing"

      > liquid from a heavy pot into your cup/bowl/nalgene. Like any
      spoon/ladle, it's scooping

      ### "my cup"..."its scooping"

      > pouring. Its relatively low volume could get frustrating if you were
      using it to scoop a lot

      ### "if I were"

      > of water, but on the other hand that's a great asset when you're
      trying to divvy out equal

      ### "when I'm"

      > gourmet back-country cook, but it's very nice to have some way to
      quantify what you're
      > putting in your meal. Finally, the spoon's flat-bottom means that it
      will stand by itself.

      ### "what I'm putting in my" or "what is going in my" or something similar

      > Summary
      >
      > The Alpine utensils are thoughtfully designed and may a good choice
      for many back-

      ### the "may" seems misplaced here...perhaps "may make"?

      > they fold, can be easier to pack. Unless you're really enamored with
      the idea of the

      ### "I were really"

      > strainer, I recommend ditching it and buying the spoon and/or the
      spatula separately.

      ### "I'd ditch it and buy"

      ### Any issues with cleaning? Are they scratchin up & keeping dirt/etc
      in the scratchs? Have you used them in cold weather? Any issues with
      brittleness or cold impact? Have you used it in hot weather or very
      hot food? How do they stand up to heat? Any problems with their
      flexibility (or lack of it)? How are the folding hinges working? Any
      signs of wear/imminent breakage? Do they fold when you don't want them
      to? Why not? Do they lock in place? How easy is it to lock/unlock the
      folding hinge? Adding some of these details if you have them would
      help take this review to the next level.