Re: [BackpackGearTest] New test

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
      Actually, BigSkyRy is doing a test on field effectiveness of a number of filters, the Seychelle included. As I understand it, the results will appear in BackpackingLight.com in the near future. I very interested in seeing the test results myself for the same reasons you cited. Ryan can tell you a lot more about government required tests than I can...Ryan are you listening?? If he doesn't answer then I'd hit him with the same question on BPL. I know he reads that mail. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that more people than we realize don't filter or treat their water. I use a filter rather than chems ( I carry Aqua Mira for really suspect water) because I like the crud filtered out and less to make it safe to drink. I guess we could have a poll of who filters and who doesn't....and what type they use.
      Jerry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2001
        Mike asks, "how do test the effectiveness of the filter (I.e. its ability to provide organism free water) without a microbi lab to culture and perform microscopy on the samples?" Mike, if you die, the filter fails. ;-}

        It's like the 50 year old guy preparing to marry a 20year old gal. His doctor advised him it could be fatal. "Well, if she dies - she dies."

        On a serious note, I've always been impressed with the Pur water treatment units. They not only filter out bud stuff, they use iodine and activated charcoal to kill the left overs. It sounds to this layman as thought the Pur units go one step further. If I'm going to make a mistake on drinking water, I'd hope to make it in the direction of too much safety. I already enjoyed the experience of bad water in Viet Nam. Not fun.

        I'm looking forward to being involved in this round of tests.

        Kayak Jack
        Doing what you like is FREEDOM
        Liking what you do is HAPPINESS