EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec Poles - Trung

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2004
      Trung -

      Thanks for your owner review. Before I go into my edits, I'm going to
      say that a) you have the overall concept down and b) I found no
      misspellings anywhere. I think you're off to a fine start.

      That said (take a deep breath), I do have a number of overall
      observations, plus a fair number of edits. Don't let the number of
      edits discourage you - this is not at all unusual for a first Owner
      Review. But do take a good look at them and do a thorough rewrite
      before reposting the review to the list.

      I also would like to suggest that you take advantage of our mentor
      program - there are BGT volunteers available who can work with you to
      answer questions and offer suggestions on your reviews and
      applications, and I highly recommend this. I also encourage you to go
      through the backpackgeartest.org site and read as many recent owner
      reviews as you can - I found that very helpful when I first started
      out.

      Here are my two general observations:

      - Be sure to take another good look at the test requirements that are
      available on backpackgeartest.org. Your review was missing some key
      things, such as metric equivalents for all measurements, that are
      explained in the requirements.

      - You seem to have used the poles only a couple of times. I may have
      misunderstood, or you may have only written about some representative
      trips, or you may indeed have only used them a couple of times. If the
      latter is true, then you may not have enough field experience yet with
      these poles to write an appropriate review, and should pick another
      piece of gear to review. If you have used the poles more than indicated
      in your report, please expand on your field notes, or at least
      summarize the number of times and locations where you used the poles.

      OK - here are my specific edits. If you have questions, please feel
      free to ask me and/or ask for a mentor to help you polish things up.

      When you've updated your Owner Review, please repost it to the list
      with the subject line beginning with "REPOST: OWNER REVIEW" and the
      name of the product, and I or another editor will do a second edit for
      you.

      Regards,
      Steve N.
      BGT Edit Moderator

      [EDITS FOLLOW:]

      Leki Super Makalu Cor-Tec Positive-Angle Trekking Poles
      ***EDIT: Add "Owner Review:" before the product name

      Personal Biography

      Name: Trung Q Le
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'11''
      Weight: 180lb
      ***EDIT: add a space before "lb" here and before all other measurements
      ("mi", "ft', etc.) throughout the review - this improves readability
      ***EDIT: here and throughout the rest of the review, you've provided
      only imperial/US measurements; BGT requires you to also provide metric
      equivalents for every measurement you give, so please add those
      throughout the review. Check out other reviews on backpackgeartest.org
      if you'd like to see how that's generally handled here.

      Email address: trungqle1@m...
      City, State, Country: Portland, OR, USA
      Date: 11/25/04
      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking for 10+ years, starting
      in sunny
      California, to the dry Arizona desert and currently to the rainy Great
      Pacific
      Northwest. I enjoy backpacking in the Oregon/Washington area of Mt.
      Hood, Mt.
      St. Helens, Olympic National Park and Mt. Rainier. Over the years, I
      have
      backpacked in Alaska, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Wyoming,
      California,
      Utah, Canada, East Africa and South Africa.
      ***EDIT: Remove the long lists of locations and pare this down to its
      essence: information that will help a reader understand your
      perspective in as succinct a statement as possible.

      I generally do weekend backpacking
      trips, with extended trips over long holidays. Recently, in the past
      couple of
      winters, I have picked up snowshoeing so that I could enjoy backpacking
      year
      round. I have progressed from a heavy 70lb backpack at the start, to a
      streamlined 35lb
      backpack, regardless of duration. Also, I have one habit that most
      people find
      odd.I backpack in sandals.
      ***EDIT: Add space after period and before "I backpack..." PS - not a
      question for your review, but what sandals do you like to wear? I've
      always been intrigued by the idea of hiking in them and like hearing
      what works for others.

      I have logged 1000's of miles and never sprained an
      ankle or had foot problems.
      ***EDIT: "1000s" or - better yet - spell out "thousands"

      Product information

      Manufacturer: Leki USA, Inc.
      Year of manufacture: 2003

      Weight: 1lb, 6oz (pair)
      ***EDIT: no need for period after "lb" (BGT convention), add space
      between number and all measurements (oz, in, etc.) throughout review.

      Length: 55in (max), 33in (min)
      ***EDIT QUESTION: Are these the weight and lengths given by the
      manufacturer? If so, label them as such. What weight and lengths did
      you confirm?

      MRSP: $139.95
      ***EDIT: Add "US" for our international readers, e.g. "US $139.95"

      Field report

      Mt. Hood Wilderness was the first area to test the trekking poles.
      ***EDIT: "...was the first area where I tested the trekking poles."

      The trail was 5mi with 3800ft elevation gain.
      ***EDIT: once again, add spaces between numbers and "mi" or "ft" (I'll
      stop noting these now - but the need for spaces continues throughout
      the review, as does the need for metric equivalents)

      The conditions involved intermittent
      episodes of moderate rain, light gusts of wind with temperatures around
      45°F.
      The terrain consists of down debris, rock piles and thick brush which
      put the
      trekking poles through a great deal of punishment.
      ***EDIT: "consisted of downed debris,..." or "consisted of debris,..."

      First agenda item was to lock the shafts into the desired heights.
      ***EDIT: "My first" or "The first"
      The ELS
      locking system requires more rotations to lock than most other trekking
      poles,
      but it ensures a long lasting lock without noticeable slipping.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: Have you tried most other poles? If so, great -
      otherwise this may be a questionable observation, and instead better
      given as a number of turns or some other objective measurement.

      The comfort straps has a very soft interior, so it won't chafe your
      wrist, and a
      very rugged exterior to handle any branches, bushes or weather that
      could cause
      degradation.
      ***EDIT: "straps have" and "so they won't" or "Each comfort strap has"
      and "so it won't" - in other words, reword to make consistent use of
      plural/singular.

      Meanwhile, the thumb wheel on the handle allows for easy
      modifications while in the field.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: Easy modifications of what? Perhaps explain just a
      wee bit more.

      The Positive Angle grips allow easy planting and pushing off on the
      uphill, but
      leads to an awkward wrist/hand position on downhills.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: "downhills" isn't uncommon usage, but it's not in
      my dictionary; consider saying "downhill stretches" or something
      similar here and below. Also, saying "uphill stretches" or something
      similar and parallel in construction would be better earlier in the
      sentence.

      During the downhill, to position the trekking poles to absorb some of
      the downhill strain required the
      wrists to be rotated in an uncomfortable position. To alleviate the
      problem,
      the trekking poles were rotated 180°, with the hand position on top of
      the
      handles, which effectively pointed the trekking poles downhill.
      Unfortunately,
      in this position, the comfort straps could not be used and the Positive
      Angle
      grips become unusable.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: this whole paragraph is in passive voice - consider
      rewording to make it active and personal (e.g., "I rotated the trekking
      poles..." and so on for each sentence)

      The SAS Anti-Shock System was very useful and noticeable on the
      downhills.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: How so? What was useful, and what was noticeable?

      However, the documentation that came with the trekking poles did very
      little to
      explain how to turn on/off the dampening.
      ***EDIT: "did very little" is vague - describe what it did say, or what
      you finally figured out

      Also, the shocks produce a little
      noise, which for some may be an annoying byproduct.
      ***EDIT: this is what you may have seen referred to here as
      "projecting" - in other words, projecting what others might do, say or
      feel (or what a product might do in the future). If it was annoying to
      you, say so; otherwise, simply noting the noise is sufficient,
      especially if you can describe it objectively, rather than
      subjectively.

      Next stop was Mt. St. Helens. The trip was about 7mi and 800ft
      elevation gain
      on snowshoes through alpine meadows. Conditions involved knee high
      powder with
      occasional ice packs and continual snow, with temperatures dipping down
      to the
      high 20's.
      ***EDIT: "knee-high" (and add the aforementioned metric
      equivalents...not to single this instance out, but since I was
      here....)

      It is in these conditions that other characteristics of the trekking
      poles were revealed.

      The ELS locking system, with its numerous rotations to lock, were
      difficult to
      negotiate in the freezing temperatures. Initially twisting the trekking
      poles
      to unlock/lock proved difficult with gloves due to a lack of grip.

      The Carbide Flex Tip was very helpful when planting the trekking poles
      in ice or
      hard snow. It penetrated each surface effectively and provided a stable
      footing. With the Carbide Flex Tip and the SAS Anti-Shock System,
      effectively
      using the trekking poles in ice proved to be easier than expected.

      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: the above two paragraphs contain some passive voice
      - putting your observations in "I" terms might make it clearer and
      stronger (e.g., "...was very helpful when I planted the trekking poles
      in ice...".

      The Interchangeable Basket System uses a threading system, where you
      have to
      screw on the basket over multiple threads.
      ***EDIT: You can remove the use of "you" by saying, for example,
      "Baskets screw on over multiple threads in the Interchangeable Basket
      System"

      This reduces the chance of the
      basket unknowingly falling off.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: "inadvertently" or "falling off unnoticed" would be
      better wording.

      Also, adding the Snow Basket (a smaller
      performance basket was provided with the poles) offered a great deal
      more
      flotation than the performance basket.

      Over time, the Aluminum 3-piece shaft does not show any obvious wear
      and tear
      from constant adjusting of the trekking poles. However, at times, when
      collapsing the shafts, the SAS Anti-Shock System would provide air
      resistance,
      making it difficult to collapse completely or in a timely manner.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: This sentence is a bit awkward; consider rewording
      it to make your meaning clearer

      Also, there were times when the shaft would not lock, no matter how
      many times the shafts
      was rotated.
      ***EDIT: "...no matter how many times I rotated the shafts."

      One way to resolve the problem was to disassemble the shafts and
      reassemble it.
      ***EDIT: "reassemble them" or "disassemble and reassemble the shafts."

      Summary

      Pros:

      1. Cork Handles allow for better grip with perspiration.

      2. Vibration between each shaft is non-existent.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: Not sure what you mean by "between each shaft: -
      could you clarify?

      3. Anti-shock feature works well on downhill grades.

      Cons:

      1. Lack of documentation regarding the Anti-Shock system.

      2. Adjusting the trekking poles in cold weather proved difficult.

      3. A collapsed pole is 4-6 inches longer than other trekking poles.
      ***EDIT: That's a rather extensive statement; all poles? Which poles?
      Perhaps you might better say that the poles don't collapse down as
      small as you'd prefer, and/or provide objective measurements to back up
      broader statements.

      4. Heavier than most trekking poles.
      ***EDIT: Ditto on the comparison; better just to say that you find them
      on the heavy side.

      [END OF EDITS]