RE: [BackpackGearTest] My wife has huge breasts.

  • Terriann & Michael McGlenn
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Shane,
      Although I am not a "large breasted woman" (C cup) I am a larger woman - 5'
      9" and 230 pounds. I use a GoLite Trek and like the way it fits. The pack
      only has a foam sheet as support, comes in 3 different torso lengths and is
      very malleable to changing load size. I have used it both day and multi-day
      hiking and want for no other pack. The reviews for it on BGT pretty much
      sum up what I have found on my own.

      A couple of things to keep in mind: If her body shape is an apple (large on
      top with thin legs) then the waist belt may be ok in a smaller size, if
      she's a pear like I am (larger on the bottom) then you will have to pay
      close attention to getting either no waist belt or one that is long enough
      to go around. She will no doubt also have issues with being short and wide,
      which in torso size will limit her as well. Make sure that the fit of the
      pack is not dependant upon the chest strap as that will be VERY
      uncomfortable. I would not recommend an external frame pack as the frame
      will restrict her arm movement around her breasts. Have her try on a Lot of
      packs to get the best fit and the least amount of initial weight. She
      already had enough challenges ;~) without having to put up with a lot in the
      "rear" as well as the front. There will be balance issues too as she will
      be front heavy and will have to balance her load to compensate.

      The good news is that once you find a pack and she goes for a few hikes, the
      waist belt will get cinched in quickly. Let me know off-list if you have
      any other "larger lady" questions as I have been backpacking large for quite
      a few years and all my gear was chosen with that in mind.

      Terriann

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        Shane-

        I think that Jodi has a great idea in taking the question to the
        WomenHikers list.

        Meanwhile, I am happy to talk back and forth about problems
        encountered so far, and ways to work around them via personal E-
        mails.

        Cheers!

        Rosaleen

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
        wrote:
        > I'll ask on the womenhikers list ;-)
        >
        > Jodi
        >

        > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:04 -0600, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
        > >
        > > And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has
        large
        > > breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
        > > recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't
        workable.

        > > Shane
        > >

        > > To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
        > > Yahoo! Groups Links
        > >

        > --
        > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
        > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
        > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
        body
        > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
        > ride!"
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
          Yeah, all you saw was BREAST

          --- Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew
          > Priest <apriest@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
          > > >And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large
          > lady, and she has
          > large
          > > >breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of
          > the ladies have a
          > > >recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything
          > we try isn't
          > workable.
          > >
          > > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject
          > line had me for a
          > moment :-)
          > >

          > Yeah - I thought it was a test call!
          >
          > Don't ask me what I thought it was for, though :)

          =====
          Chuck Carnes

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Mara Factor
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
            No specific backpack recommendations, just some observations which might
            help...

            Pay attention to how close together the shoulder straps are attached to the
            pack. While many narrow shouldered women prefer them close together to help
            keep them from sliding off their shoulders, I find I prefer shoulder straps
            that are spaced further apart. Otherwise, I feel like my shoulders and neck
            are getting pinched. This, however, means that I do need to use the sternum
            strap. But, I generally use it high enough so it's not squishing me (just
            below my clavicle), and I don't tighten it at all. I just use it to keep
            the straps from separating and becoming uncomfortable on my shoulders.

            Also, even though I'm very tall, I have a very short torso and find many
            shoulder straps to be so long they cause discomfort under my arms. Make
            sure her straps aren't too long. This is especially true for those of us
            with busts because most straps are designed to go further on the front of
            the chest and with breasts, the straps get pushed off to the side where they
            can't do much good.

            I did once see a woman who used her sternum strap below her well-endowed
            boobs. It looked a bit funny, but if it worked and kept her comfortable
            enough to keep hiking, then why not? I think in that case, it not only
            helped to keep the shoulder straps in place, but helped support and
            stabilize her breasts, too.

            The last thing that I found helped the most with pack fitting, is getting my
            pack weight down. I've found that the lighter my load, the less it matters
            if the fit is perfect. Lighter packs tend to have softer, more malleable
            straps. Fewer doo-dads on the straps also helps with comfort.

            When I bought my first real pack - I spent months getting all the parts to
            fit just right. It ended up fitting like a custom pack and carries heavy
            loads easily. It's a Dana Terraplane that I never use anymore.

            Now, my primary long-distance pack is a Kelty Vapor. It's torso is way too
            long for me but with so much less pressure on my shoulders and hips, it just
            doesn't matter. My P-1 (which was a custom short torso pack) has an even
            softer strap system so as long as I keep my total pack weight in the 20
            pound range, I'm a happy camper.

            Best of luck,

            Mara

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
              I posted your message and got this so far -

              I bought a Jansport years ago and fixed the should harness to be
              more open with a sail repair kit to sew thru all those layers of
              heavy fabric and leather. It's a man;s bag, set to hold about 40
              pounds of gear, single main compartment with side pouches, ski
              holder sleeves, tie on spots and padded hip support that hit my
              torso just right.

              I'm 5'6", but I'm long in spine, not so much in the legs and I wear
              a 42D...well...my diet seems to have reduced that a bit...but I tell
              you...It's all in my back...I'm a viking Goddess with brown eyes!

              Anyway...setting those straps about an inch wider on each side of
              the harness junction this nice second hand pack was the best thing I
              ever did for myself!

              Kathy

              Hope it helps some - Jodi