Re: [BackpackGearTest] My wife has huge breasts.

  • Rick Allnutt
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Andrew Priest wrote:

      >At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
      >

      >>And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
      >>breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
      >>recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.
      >>

      >Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a moment :-)
      >
      >Andrew

      I almost banned the poster until I noticed who it was.

      Rick
    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        I'll ask on the womenhikers list ;-)

        Jodi

        On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:04 -0600, Shane <shane@...> wrote:

        > And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
        > breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
        > recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.
        >
        > Shane

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
        to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
        thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
        ride!"
      • Terriann & Michael McGlenn
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          Shane,
          Although I am not a "large breasted woman" (C cup) I am a larger woman - 5'
          9" and 230 pounds. I use a GoLite Trek and like the way it fits. The pack
          only has a foam sheet as support, comes in 3 different torso lengths and is
          very malleable to changing load size. I have used it both day and multi-day
          hiking and want for no other pack. The reviews for it on BGT pretty much
          sum up what I have found on my own.

          A couple of things to keep in mind: If her body shape is an apple (large on
          top with thin legs) then the waist belt may be ok in a smaller size, if
          she's a pear like I am (larger on the bottom) then you will have to pay
          close attention to getting either no waist belt or one that is long enough
          to go around. She will no doubt also have issues with being short and wide,
          which in torso size will limit her as well. Make sure that the fit of the
          pack is not dependant upon the chest strap as that will be VERY
          uncomfortable. I would not recommend an external frame pack as the frame
          will restrict her arm movement around her breasts. Have her try on a Lot of
          packs to get the best fit and the least amount of initial weight. She
          already had enough challenges ;~) without having to put up with a lot in the
          "rear" as well as the front. There will be balance issues too as she will
          be front heavy and will have to balance her load to compensate.

          The good news is that once you find a pack and she goes for a few hikes, the
          waist belt will get cinched in quickly. Let me know off-list if you have
          any other "larger lady" questions as I have been backpacking large for quite
          a few years and all my gear was chosen with that in mind.

          Terriann

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            Shane-

            I think that Jodi has a great idea in taking the question to the
            WomenHikers list.

            Meanwhile, I am happy to talk back and forth about problems
            encountered so far, and ways to work around them via personal E-
            mails.

            Cheers!

            Rosaleen

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
            wrote:
            > I'll ask on the womenhikers list ;-)
            >
            > Jodi
            >

            > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:04 -0600, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
            > >
            > > And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has
            large
            > > breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
            > > recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't
            workable.

            > > Shane
            > >

            > > To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > >

            > --
            > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
            > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
            > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
            body
            > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
            > ride!"
          • Chuck Carnes
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
              Yeah, all you saw was BREAST

              --- Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew
              > Priest <apriest@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
              > > >And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large
              > lady, and she has
              > large
              > > >breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of
              > the ladies have a
              > > >recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything
              > we try isn't
              > workable.
              > >
              > > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject
              > line had me for a
              > moment :-)
              > >

              > Yeah - I thought it was a test call!
              >
              > Don't ask me what I thought it was for, though :)

              =====
              Chuck Carnes

              http://my.yahoo.com
            • Mara Factor
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                No specific backpack recommendations, just some observations which might
                help...

                Pay attention to how close together the shoulder straps are attached to the
                pack. While many narrow shouldered women prefer them close together to help
                keep them from sliding off their shoulders, I find I prefer shoulder straps
                that are spaced further apart. Otherwise, I feel like my shoulders and neck
                are getting pinched. This, however, means that I do need to use the sternum
                strap. But, I generally use it high enough so it's not squishing me (just
                below my clavicle), and I don't tighten it at all. I just use it to keep
                the straps from separating and becoming uncomfortable on my shoulders.

                Also, even though I'm very tall, I have a very short torso and find many
                shoulder straps to be so long they cause discomfort under my arms. Make
                sure her straps aren't too long. This is especially true for those of us
                with busts because most straps are designed to go further on the front of
                the chest and with breasts, the straps get pushed off to the side where they
                can't do much good.

                I did once see a woman who used her sternum strap below her well-endowed
                boobs. It looked a bit funny, but if it worked and kept her comfortable
                enough to keep hiking, then why not? I think in that case, it not only
                helped to keep the shoulder straps in place, but helped support and
                stabilize her breasts, too.

                The last thing that I found helped the most with pack fitting, is getting my
                pack weight down. I've found that the lighter my load, the less it matters
                if the fit is perfect. Lighter packs tend to have softer, more malleable
                straps. Fewer doo-dads on the straps also helps with comfort.

                When I bought my first real pack - I spent months getting all the parts to
                fit just right. It ended up fitting like a custom pack and carries heavy
                loads easily. It's a Dana Terraplane that I never use anymore.

                Now, my primary long-distance pack is a Kelty Vapor. It's torso is way too
                long for me but with so much less pressure on my shoulders and hips, it just
                doesn't matter. My P-1 (which was a custom short torso pack) has an even
                softer strap system so as long as I keep my total pack weight in the 20
                pound range, I'm a happy camper.

                Best of luck,

                Mara

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                  I posted your message and got this so far -

                  I bought a Jansport years ago and fixed the should harness to be
                  more open with a sail repair kit to sew thru all those layers of
                  heavy fabric and leather. It's a man;s bag, set to hold about 40
                  pounds of gear, single main compartment with side pouches, ski
                  holder sleeves, tie on spots and padded hip support that hit my
                  torso just right.

                  I'm 5'6", but I'm long in spine, not so much in the legs and I wear
                  a 42D...well...my diet seems to have reduced that a bit...but I tell
                  you...It's all in my back...I'm a viking Goddess with brown eyes!

                  Anyway...setting those straps about an inch wider on each side of
                  the harness junction this nice second hand pack was the best thing I
                  ever did for myself!

                  Kathy

                  Hope it helps some - Jodi