My wife has huge breasts.

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
      breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
      recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.

      Shane
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
        >And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
        >breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
        >recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.

        Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a moment :-)

        Andrew

      • Shane
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a moment
          :-)

          I just figured I'd get a wider response that way... ;)

          Shane
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            At 06:53 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
            > > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a moment
            >:-)
            >
            >I just figured I'd get a wider response that way... ;)

            Well you got my attention, but sorry can't help in matter.

            Andrew

          • Andy Mytys
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>
              wrote:
              > At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
              > >And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has
              large
              > >breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
              > >recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't
              workable.

              > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a
              moment :-)

              Yeah - I thought it was a test call!

              Don't ask me what I thought it was for, though :)
            • Rick Allnutt
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                Andrew Priest wrote:

                >At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
                >

                >>And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
                >>breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
                >>recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.
                >>

                >Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject line had me for a moment :-)
                >
                >Andrew

                I almost banned the poster until I noticed who it was.

                Rick
              • Banjo Doje
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                  I'll ask on the womenhikers list ;-)

                  Jodi

                  On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:04 -0600, Shane <shane@...> wrote:

                  > And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has large
                  > breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
                  > recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't workable.
                  >
                  > Shane

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                  to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
                  thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                  ride!"
                • Terriann & Michael McGlenn
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                    Shane,
                    Although I am not a "large breasted woman" (C cup) I am a larger woman - 5'
                    9" and 230 pounds. I use a GoLite Trek and like the way it fits. The pack
                    only has a foam sheet as support, comes in 3 different torso lengths and is
                    very malleable to changing load size. I have used it both day and multi-day
                    hiking and want for no other pack. The reviews for it on BGT pretty much
                    sum up what I have found on my own.

                    A couple of things to keep in mind: If her body shape is an apple (large on
                    top with thin legs) then the waist belt may be ok in a smaller size, if
                    she's a pear like I am (larger on the bottom) then you will have to pay
                    close attention to getting either no waist belt or one that is long enough
                    to go around. She will no doubt also have issues with being short and wide,
                    which in torso size will limit her as well. Make sure that the fit of the
                    pack is not dependant upon the chest strap as that will be VERY
                    uncomfortable. I would not recommend an external frame pack as the frame
                    will restrict her arm movement around her breasts. Have her try on a Lot of
                    packs to get the best fit and the least amount of initial weight. She
                    already had enough challenges ;~) without having to put up with a lot in the
                    "rear" as well as the front. There will be balance issues too as she will
                    be front heavy and will have to balance her load to compensate.

                    The good news is that once you find a pack and she goes for a few hikes, the
                    waist belt will get cinched in quickly. Let me know off-list if you have
                    any other "larger lady" questions as I have been backpacking large for quite
                    a few years and all my gear was chosen with that in mind.

                    Terriann

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                      Shane-

                      I think that Jodi has a great idea in taking the question to the
                      WomenHikers list.

                      Meanwhile, I am happy to talk back and forth about problems
                      encountered so far, and ways to work around them via personal E-
                      mails.

                      Cheers!

                      Rosaleen

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
                      wrote:
                      > I'll ask on the womenhikers list ;-)
                      >
                      > Jodi
                      >

                      > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:40:04 -0600, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large lady, and she has
                      large
                      > > breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of the ladies have a
                      > > recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything we try isn't
                      workable.

                      > > Shane
                      > >

                      > > To read our reviews, please visit http://www.backpackgeartest.org/
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > --
                      > "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
                      > arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather
                      > to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other,
                      body
                      > thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOOHOO what a
                      > ride!"
                    • Chuck Carnes
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                        Yeah, all you saw was BREAST

                        --- Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

                        > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew
                        > Priest <apriest@b...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > At 05:40 AM 2/12/2004, you wrote:
                        > > >And, no, this isn't spam. My wife is a large
                        > lady, and she has
                        > large
                        > > >breasts. (5' 2", 315 pounds...) Would any of
                        > the ladies have a
                        > > >recommendation on a backpack for her? Everything
                        > we try isn't
                        > workable.
                        > >
                        > > Shane you are a worry sometimes .... that subject
                        > line had me for a
                        > moment :-)
                        > >

                        > Yeah - I thought it was a test call!
                        >
                        > Don't ask me what I thought it was for, though :)

                        =====
                        Chuck Carnes

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Mara Factor
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                          No specific backpack recommendations, just some observations which might
                          help...

                          Pay attention to how close together the shoulder straps are attached to the
                          pack. While many narrow shouldered women prefer them close together to help
                          keep them from sliding off their shoulders, I find I prefer shoulder straps
                          that are spaced further apart. Otherwise, I feel like my shoulders and neck
                          are getting pinched. This, however, means that I do need to use the sternum
                          strap. But, I generally use it high enough so it's not squishing me (just
                          below my clavicle), and I don't tighten it at all. I just use it to keep
                          the straps from separating and becoming uncomfortable on my shoulders.

                          Also, even though I'm very tall, I have a very short torso and find many
                          shoulder straps to be so long they cause discomfort under my arms. Make
                          sure her straps aren't too long. This is especially true for those of us
                          with busts because most straps are designed to go further on the front of
                          the chest and with breasts, the straps get pushed off to the side where they
                          can't do much good.

                          I did once see a woman who used her sternum strap below her well-endowed
                          boobs. It looked a bit funny, but if it worked and kept her comfortable
                          enough to keep hiking, then why not? I think in that case, it not only
                          helped to keep the shoulder straps in place, but helped support and
                          stabilize her breasts, too.

                          The last thing that I found helped the most with pack fitting, is getting my
                          pack weight down. I've found that the lighter my load, the less it matters
                          if the fit is perfect. Lighter packs tend to have softer, more malleable
                          straps. Fewer doo-dads on the straps also helps with comfort.

                          When I bought my first real pack - I spent months getting all the parts to
                          fit just right. It ended up fitting like a custom pack and carries heavy
                          loads easily. It's a Dana Terraplane that I never use anymore.

                          Now, my primary long-distance pack is a Kelty Vapor. It's torso is way too
                          long for me but with so much less pressure on my shoulders and hips, it just
                          doesn't matter. My P-1 (which was a custom short torso pack) has an even
                          softer strap system so as long as I keep my total pack weight in the 20
                          pound range, I'm a happy camper.

                          Best of luck,

                          Mara

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 2, 2004
                            I posted your message and got this so far -

                            I bought a Jansport years ago and fixed the should harness to be
                            more open with a sail repair kit to sew thru all those layers of
                            heavy fabric and leather. It's a man;s bag, set to hold about 40
                            pounds of gear, single main compartment with side pouches, ski
                            holder sleeves, tie on spots and padded hip support that hit my
                            torso just right.

                            I'm 5'6", but I'm long in spine, not so much in the legs and I wear
                            a 42D...well...my diet seems to have reduced that a bit...but I tell
                            you...It's all in my back...I'm a viking Goddess with brown eyes!

                            Anyway...setting those straps about an inch wider on each side of
                            the harness junction this nice second hand pack was the best thing I
                            ever did for myself!

                            Kathy

                            Hope it helps some - Jodi