Test Application - Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2004
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp Test Application

      Please review and accept my application to test the
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp.
      I have read the Survival guide 1202 and in particular
      chapter 5 and agree to follow all guidelines within.

      Biographical Information:
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6�0� (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lbs. (79 kg)

      Email address: ctcarnes1@...

      City, State, Country: Taylors, S.C. United States

      Date: November 31, 2004

      Backpacking Background:
      I love the outdoors � I�ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking for the past ten years. I
      consider myself a lightweight hiker, usually carrying
      20 � 30 pounds (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in
      length. I hike at an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3
      kph). I am a one man tent camper for now until
      something I like better comes along. I like to carry a
      single trekking pole when I hike to help relieve
      stress to my legs and knees. I like to get out on the
      trail as often as I can.

      Field Information:
      I plan to test the Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp on
      several different planed and spur of the moment
      backpacking trips throughout this test. I will be
      backpacking in the Smokey Mountains and Pisgah
      National Forest thought the Winter of �04 and Spring
      of �05. The elevation is about 6643 ft (2025 m) in the
      Smoky Mountains and at Pisgah, the elevation will be
      around 6200 ft (1890 m). The temperatures during the
      time of testing will be 40F to 50F (4C to 10C) during
      the day and 10F to 30F (-12 to -1C) at night,
      sometimes below zero. I will note weather conditions
      at the time of testing.

      I currently use a headlamp during the night in camp
      such as cutting wood, reading and eating. I also use a
      head lamp during trail hiking and those middle of the
      night bathroom excursions.

      Test Plan:
      If I am accepted and given the privilege, I intend to
      test the Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp for its durability
      during everyday camp use. Most, if not all, of the
      following scenarios will be taken place at night or in
      the dark.

      As a long term test I will see if the headlamp is
      durable enough to withstand the constant bumping and
      dropping that sometimes takes place during camp set up
      and take down. I will test the lamp for stability and
      accuracy of the beam while cutting firewood, cooking,
      reading, hiking and other various tasks. Site
      distances will be tested and noted at various settings
      and declination if applicable. The web site picture
      shows and states one bulb; will this one bulb be
      bright enough? The web site says that as long as the
      batteries have sufficient voltage, the light will
      remain at a constant brightness. Is the decrease in
      brightness quick and noticeable or is it very slow to
      give me time to change the batteries before I am
      sitting in the dark? How easy is it to change the bulb
      and batteries? Do I need a tool to access the bulb and
      battery compartment? Does it have an extra bulb? If
      not, can I find one at most stores that carry bulbs or
      are they hard to find? I will keep an estimated time
      log on the life of the batteries and bulbs. With the
      simple design and construction of the headlamp, how
      compact can it get to be placed in a backpack or

      Comfort, to me, is very important when it comes to
      headlamps. I usually wear a baseball cap while hiking
      or at camp. Can I wear the baseball cap and the light
      on the headband together? If a hat can be worn, does
      the brim of the hat affect the declination of the
      light beam? I would also like to see if I am able to
      use one hand to operate the headlamp, such as turning
      it on and off and adjusting, while on the headband.
      Since the headband has no over-the-head strap, will
      the headlamp have a tendency to slide down during
      walks? How comfortable is the headlamp on the forehead
      for an extended length of time? Does the headlamp feel
      front heavy or is it comfortable and light enough to
      not notice?

      Waterproof tests will be performed in the field if
      cases of rain occur. If accidents of dropping the
      headlamp in a river or lake has not occurred by the
      end of the review, I will submerge the headlamp in
      water to test the effects if this happening in the
      field. Does the light still work? Does water get into
      the bulb compartment? Will it short out or become dim?
      If and when the headlamp is to be cleaned, how easy is
      it to disassemble to perform this task? Is there a
      waterproof seal that is not to be broken?

      Other various tests will be recorded in my reviews as
      they occur. Weight and specifications of the headlamp
      upon arrival will be reviewed, commented and recorded.

      I would really appreciate the opportunity to test and
      review the Princeton Tech Scout Headlamp. Again, if
      given the opportunity to test this headlamp, I will
      give it a complete and honest review. Thank you for
      your time.

      Test that I have recently been chosen for:
      Wookey Phoenix Backpack (has not arrived)
      OR Celestial Gaiters (has not arrived)
      OR Motion Fleece Balaclava

      Currently Monitor for:
      Equinox Rainsuit
      Henry Shires Tarptent Cloudburst

      Currently a Mentor for:
      Ryan Graves

      Completed Tests:
      Princeton Tec Scout Headlamp
      Xikar 138 Excel Knife
      OR Hydrolite Stuff Sack
      Paxtons Sandle Saver
      Big Agnes Hog Park Sleeping Bag
      Big Agnes REM Hinman Sleeping Pad
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent
      Macabi Skirt for Men
      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit

      Owner Reviews Uploaded:
      Gregory Lassen Backpack
      Mountain Hardware Nickel Cigar Sleeping Bag
      Coleman Camp Stool
      Moonstone Rain Jacket

      2 Previously Written Reviews:
      Macabi Skirt for Men:

      Frogg Toggs Pro Sport Suit:

      Other Reviews and Reports By Chuck Carnes:

      Chuck Carnes

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2004
        Application to test the Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp

        I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide
        (version v. 1202 as of 09/10/04) and I agree to comply with all these
        requirements as a tester. I also have a signed tester agreement on file.

        Edward Ripley-Duggan
        51 years old
        6 ft 1 inches tall (1.85 meters)
        215 lb (98 kg)
        erd <at> wilsey.net
        Catskill Region, New York State

        Reviewer Background
        I enjoy walking in all its manifold forms, from a simple stroll in the
        woods to multi-day backpack excursions. Though by no means an extreme
        ultralight enthusiast, from spring to fall my preference is to carry a
        packweight of 12 lb (5.5 kg), more or less. In recent years, I've
        rapidly moved to a philosophy of "lighter is better," within the
        constraints of budget and common sense.

        Testing locations and conditions.

        Catskills, Adirondacks, possibly the White Mountains and the
        mid-Hudson valley region, from early winter to late spring. In the
        Catskills and Adirondacks, I expect to be out and about in
        temperatures down to -15 F (-26 C); in the Whites, possibly lower.
        Upper temperatures during the testing period could run as high as 70 F
        (21 C), during the latter portion of the test period.

        Similar lamps used

        Black Diamond Zenix
        Black Diamond Ion
        Princeton Tech Vortec

        I've been fascinated to observe the rapid adoption of LED technology
        in headlamp manufacture. All three headlamps I own are now LED (the
        Princeton Vortec has an aftermarket LED bulb). The light intensity
        from a single LED is now sufficient for almost all situations that one
        is likely to encounter on trail. LED lamps offer huge advantages over
        conventional bulbs, in that they are far more energy-efficient (much
        of the energy supplied to a conventional bulb is dissipated as heat)
        and are far less likely to be affected by impact—there's a very low
        likelihood of breaking an LED "bulb" if the headlamp is dropped.
        What has been lacking in many low-end headlamp models is voltage
        control, important for long hikes, particularly in cold weather when
        the rate of power depletion in conventional alkaline batteries is
        accelerated. It can be very frustrating to be walking at night with a
        rapidly dimming beam. In theory, voltage regulation should avoid this
        eventuality without the use of expensive lithium batteries (which do
        provide fairly stable output at low temperatures.

        Testing issues

        The Princeton Tec Eos headlamp utilizes a newly designed
        collimator/lens system (manufacturer's press release). This, in
        conjunction with the voltage control—the lamp offers three modes of
        illumination, plus a signaling mode, all with constant
        brightness—should make this lamp exceptionally adaptable and intensely
        bright at maximum output. It uses a 1 watt Luxeon LED, made of doped

        I will examine the following aspects of the headlamp.

        1. How stable over time is the light output? Does the voltage control
        circuitry perform its job appropriately? This will be tested both in
        the field and (since subjective assessment of light output is tricky)
        with a digital luxmeter (see my Zenix FR for methodology). I do note
        that constant output is indicated for only a portion of the battery life.

        2. In each of the standard illumination modes, does the battery life
        match the specs?
        High output mode – 2 hours of constant brightness / 6.5 hours of run time
        Medium output mode – 9.5 hours of constant brightness / 12.5 of run time
        Low output mode – 28 hours of constant brightness / 36+ of run time
        4. What are the limitations of each of these modes in practical terms?
        Which mode is optimal for trail use, which for bushwhacking, which for
        in-camp use?
        5. How much difference does the collimation system make (it does allow
        the user to focus the light, in theory a great advantage for many
        tasks)? Does the lamp swivel through 180 degrees or only 90?
        6. How much improvement over these times do lithium cells provide? How
        much of an improvement in stability of light output at lower temperatures?
        7. How comfortable is the headlamp? Is the strap system, which seems
        minimalist, stable? Is it easily dislodged by head movement? How does
        it perform over a hat or helmet? How adjustable is the strap?
        8. Does the lamp conform to any specific waterproofing standard? In
        practice, how waterproof is it?
        9. How easily is the battery compartment accessed? Can batteries be
        changed with gloved hands? How easily is the switch operated?
        10. Is the lamp resistant to moderate impact? How durable is it overall?
        The points listed above are a sampling of the issues that I will be
        examining if I have the privilege of testing this lamp.

        My tests may be viewed at:

        Completed series:

        Black Diamond Zenix

        MSR Missing Link tent

        Tests in Process:

        SnowClaw shovel
        N.B. The LTR on this has been supplied but the test is on hold,
        awaiting word from the manufacturer as to whether they want testers to
        append information on the plastic version of the shovel.

        GoLite Wizard jacket
        IR supplied, FR due January

        Dahlgren Backpacking Socks
        IR supplied, FR due January