Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: EDIT-Black Diamond Lighthouse Tent (amytys)

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004
      At 01:17 PM 1/12/2004, you wrote:

      > > Agree. However, a further clarification along the lines you mention
      >of what
      > > happened in the storm would be useful as it provides support to
      >your view.
      > > As it is written it is just a view.
      > >
      > > Andrew
      >
      >If someone reads the entire report, they will read that the awning
      >pole did rip the material.

      Andy

      I give up .... the magic word "IF". All that is needed is a simple
      sentence. Is that so hard? Apparently so.

      Andrew

    • JimSabis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
        In a message dated 12/1/2004 3:52:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        apriest@... writes:

        >If someone reads the entire report, they will read that the awning
        >pole did rip the material.

        Andy

        I give up .... the magic word "IF". All that is needed is a simple
        sentence. Is that so hard? Apparently so.

        Andrew
        ######

        I normally do not jump in on this sort of thing, but as a fellow Lighthouse
        tester, I feel I should add my two cents here:

        Andy, I read the passage being discussed above. My concern is that I came
        away from the statement, as currently worded, with the feeling that the
        'pop-tear' scenario has a high probability of occuring. As a user of the tent, I know
        this is not the case. Once set up, it takes considerable effort to get the
        poles out of their seating rings. It takes far more effort to get them shifted to
        the point where the end of the pole is outside the heavy re-inforced corner
        patch. In fact, the tension is so great it is nearly impossible to do this
        without intentionally risking damage to the tent or pole. Your passage makes no
        mention of the reinforcing patch at all, which leads to what would be an
        inaccurate conclusion on the part of the reader.

        Granted, you did experience a pretty dramatic problem, but it required pretty
        dramatic circumstances. Your description of the event leads me to believe
        that any tent would have suffered considerable damage in that scenario. My
        comments would actually go beyond Andrews, having used the tent heavily myself. Your
        description of this concern should be linked directly to the description of
        the event that caused your damage, which would put it in more accurate
        perspective. As a stand alone statement it is misleading, which I'm certain is not
        your intent.

        I read the full report and understood, as a user of the tent, precisely what
        happened. As a user of the tent, I know how unlikely this occurance is under
        'normal circumstances'. Someone researching the tent, and therefore unfamiliar
        with it, does not have the advantage of my Lighthouse experience and could
        easily draw the wrong conclusion.

        Just my two cents, for what it is worth. Carry on.

        Jim S.

      • Andy Mytys
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

          > Andy, I read the passage being discussed above. My concern is that
          > I came away from the statement, as currently worded, with the
          > feeling that the 'pop-tear' scenario has a high probability of
          > occuring.

          Jim,

          I'll just remove the sentence altogether.
        • JimSabis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
            In a message dated 12/1/2004 10:09:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            amytys@... writes:
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, JimSabis@a... wrote:

            > Andy, I read the passage being discussed above. My concern is that
            > I came away from the statement, as currently worded, with the
            > feeling that the 'pop-tear' scenario has a high probability of
            > occuring.

            Jim,

            I'll just remove the sentence altogether.
            ######

            Andy, that was not my intent, but it may actually be better that way. You
            cover the incident, and it results, pretty thoroughly later in the report.

            Thanks for understanding.

            Jim S.