BearVault BV200 LTR - Bill Jeffrey

  • AsABat
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2004
      My LTR follows and is also in the Test->Tests folder.

      BearVault BV200 - Long Term Report
      by Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
      Email: wjj2001 "at" yahoo "dot" com
      November 30, 2004 Tester Biography
      Product Description
      Field Test
      Summary

      Tester Personal Biographical Information

      Bill Jeffrey
      46 year old male, 6'4" (193 cm) tall, 225 pounds (102 kg)
      San Diego County, California
      Email: wjj2001 "at" yahoo "dot" com

      I have over 30 years backpacking experience, starting with Scouting
      as a youth. I am currently the High Adventure Leader for a Scout
      Troop. I try to get out once or twice a month, plus at least one week-
      long trek each year. My trips are of two types. First, I am hiking
      the Pacific Crest Trail in sections, some of which have some rather
      crafty bears, and generally use a lightweight approach on these
      typically solo trips. Other trips involving family involve more
      traditional backpacking equipment. Terrain varies from sea level to
      14,000 feet (4,300 m), desert to mountain, and trail to cross
      country, occasionally including snow travel. I lost food to a bear
      once many years ago, and have had my food kept safe from a bear by a
      bear resistant container on several occasions.

      This is the final of three reports of the BearVault BV200:

      Initial Report, describes the BearVault in detail, not including
      field use.
      Field Testing, including a detailed write-up of field testing.
      Long-term Field Testing, this report, a follow up addressing on-going
      use and durability.
      Product Description:

      BearVault BV200
      http://www.BearVault.com
      Received May 18, 2004
      Black bear resistant food canister
      Certified by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group (SIBBG)
      Weight 2 lb 6 oz (1.08 kg) (Listed and tested)
      Outside dimensions 12.4 in (31.5 cm) long by 8.7 in (22.1 cm)
      diameter (Listed and tested)
      Interior volume 380 fl oz (11.24 L) (Listed and tested), 7 day
      capacity claimed by manufacturer
      Interior dimensions (Tested but not listed by manufacturer,
      approximate):
      12 in (30.5 cm) long by 8.3 in (21.1 cm) diameter
      Opening diameter 7.25 in (18.41 cm)
      Approximate thickness of can wall 0.17 in (0.43 cm)
      Rain proof opening, tool free screw-on lid
      Transparent blue polycarbonate container with black ABS plastic lid

      Long-Term Test: Testing took place in the mountains of the Pacific
      Crest Trail, including Little Bear Trail Camp near Big Bear Lake
      (Hmm, I wonder where those names came from?) and the southern end of
      the Sierra Nevada. Elevation 3,300 to 10,500 feet (1,000 to 3,200
      meters). Temperatures 28 to 85 degrees F (-2 to +29 C), including
      light rain and very light snow flurries.

      A bear-resistant food container is one of those "love-it, hate-it"
      items. I hate carrying more weight than I have to. On the other hand,
      I really hate hiking out of the wilderness hungry because a bear ate
      all my food. (I've done that just one.) A bear-resistant container
      takes all the anxiety out of worrying that every night noise is a
      bear coming to dine on my gorp. They are also required in many areas
      now, which helps protect the bears from becoming habitual Yogi's and
      subsequently executed.

      The BearVault is an excellent solution for food storage in bear
      country. The clear polycarbonate canister makes it easy to find the
      item I am looking for and the wide opening makes it easy to pack the
      can full. I find the claimed seven-day capacity accurate, assuming
      repackaging commercial freeze-dried foods and minimizing bulky items.
      As for ease of use, what can be easier than simply screwing the lid
      open? An initial difficulty with a tight lid caused by grit in the
      threads was solved by applying a food-grade silicone lubricant that
      was provided by BearVault. Current models come with this silicone
      film already applied.

      I was able to fit the BearVault into all my packs, including my
      ultralight Gossamer Gear G4 (formerly GVP Gear). I tried using the
      raised guides to lash the BearVault to my other packs, and found I
      needed to have the straps straight and pulled snug to keep the
      BearVault from slipping. I prefer putting the BearVault inside the
      pack and lashing my sleeping bag and pad outside if room is needed.

      Other than scuffs and scraps, the BearVault has sustained no damage,
      in spite of being dropped on rocks and concrete several times.

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, " AsABat" <wjj2001@y...>
        wrote:

        > My LTR follows and is also in the Test->Tests folder.
        >
        > BearVault BV200 - Long Term Report
        > by Bill "AsABat" Jeffrey
        > Email: wjj2001 "at" yahoo "dot" com
        > November 30, 2004

        And Edits ==>

        > I really hate hiking out of the wilderness hungry because a bear
        ate
        > all my food. (I've done that just one.)

        EDIT==> "once"

        > now, which helps protect the bears from becoming habitual Yogi's
        and
        > subsequently executed.

        EDIT==> There is a tense consistency problem here.
        perhaps "...Yogi's and subsequent execution".

        Thanks for your report. Go ahead and upload it when ready.

        Tom
      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2004
          Tom-

          Done!

          Bill

          > > I really hate hiking out of the wilderness hungry because a bear
          > ate
          > > all my food. (I've done that just one.)
          >
          > EDIT==> "once"

          ### Done.

          > > now, which helps protect the bears from becoming habitual Yogi's
          > and
          > > subsequently executed.
          >
          > EDIT==> There is a tense consistency problem here.
          > perhaps "...Yogi's and subsequent execution".

          ### "...Yogi's and subsequently BEING executed."