New test

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
      I just got a heads up from Seychelle. They have a new product to test. As it was explained to me, it's a pressurized hydration/filter system. They are sending me a sample so I can describe it better. I post when I get it and am ready for tester applications.
      Jerry
    • Gear Tester
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
        You are absolutely correct...which is why we don't do that. The filters are tested by independent labs that are equipped to test them. Could the manufacturers be lying about their effectiveness....sure. General Motors could be lying about my Trooper too. I really don't see it as a problem. The filters themselves (from Seychelle) are medical grade. That is their main market. If you feel uncomfortable with the test results provided by the manufacturers then I wouldn't use filters. I've not seen any other test results on any of the filters on the market but that provided by the manufacturer. I have no problem testing filters for speed, ease of use, applicability, etc. and leaving the lab tests to the labs.
        Jerry
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2001
            Jerry....I don't man to jump the gun but how do test the effectiveness of the filter (I.e. its ability to provide organism free water) without a microbi lab to culture and perform microscopy on the samples? I understand we could test for taste, ease of use, durability etc...but none of them matter if we really can't scientifically document its ability to filter. Mike
            I just got a heads up from Seychelle. They have a new product to test. As it was explained to me, it's a pressurized hydration/filter system. They are sending me a sample so I can describe it better. I post when I get it and am ready for tester applications.
            Jerry

          • Michael Tocci
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2001

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 13, 2001
                Mike asks, "how do test the effectiveness of the filter (I.e. its ability to provide organism free water) without a microbi lab to culture and perform microscopy on the samples?" Mike, if you die, the filter fails. ;-}

                It's like the 50 year old guy preparing to marry a 20year old gal. His doctor advised him it could be fatal. "Well, if she dies - she dies."

                On a serious note, I've always been impressed with the Pur water treatment units. They not only filter out bud stuff, they use iodine and activated charcoal to kill the left overs. It sounds to this layman as thought the Pur units go one step further. If I'm going to make a mistake on drinking water, I'd hope to make it in the direction of too much safety. I already enjoyed the experience of bad water in Viet Nam. Not fun.

                I'm looking forward to being involved in this round of tests.

                Kayak Jack
                Doing what you like is FREEDOM
                Liking what you do is HAPPINESS