Owner Review

  • David Anderson
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
      Olicamp Titanium Kettle with No-Drip Spout

      Bio:
      Sex: Male
      Age: 36
      Height: 6' 2"
      Weight: 270
      Location: Lynnwood, WA

      I started car camping with my family at around 3 and have been backpacking
      since I was 10. I have also been sea kayaking for about 3 years, and
      snowshoeing for 2.

      I'm what most would consider a heavyweight backpacker, though according to
      Backpacker Magazine's definition of lightweight (25% of your body weight)
      I should be able to carry 65 pounds and still be considered lightweight.
      Somehow after lugging around a 65 lb pack for a while I have trouble with
      calling it lightweight.

      I've been slowly converting to lighter weight equipment, especially when
      it is as good or better than what it's replacing.

      Review:

      I purchased this kettle on a whim 2 years ago when I was ordering my
      snowshoes
      since I thought it would be nice to have a small kettle with an actual pour
      spout, instead of my usual method of boiling twice as much water as I need
      and having half of it sloshing over the side of the cup.

      I am unable to find a web site for the manufacturer, but this dealer has
      some very good pictures and specs:
      http://www.backcountry-equipment.com/cookware/olicamp_tikettle.html

      And here is the best price I found:
      http://www.escapeoutdoors.com/page/327625.htm

      The kettle is slightly over 5 inches in diameter and 2.85 inches deep. The
      spout sticks out about .6 of an inch from the front. The handle is a heavy
      gauge wire bent into a U then both legs are bent into an L. The ends of the
      wires are held by a bracket at the back of the kettle and tightened by a
      thumb screw. The handle can be set up so that it goes over the pot or it
      sticks out the back. The total packed dimensions are 6.1"x 5.05"x 3.4". The
      weight is 5.4 oz. The listed capacity is 25 oz.

      This kettle quickly became my favorite cook pot. It's light, sturdy, and
      pours neatly if you limit the water to about 20 oz.

      When setting up the handle I prefer to set it up with the handle sticking
      out away from the pot instead of over the top. This makes it easier to
      remove the lid and keeps the handle cooler. The disadvantage to this setup
      is that if the kettle is almost empty and you set it slightly tilted toward
      the handle it will tip over.

      It is also important when setting up the handle that you attach the clamp
      toward the end of the wires for the handle, if you don't the wires will
      be down in the flames and will transfer the heat out the handle. Just about
      everyone makes this mistake when they first use it.

      The thumb screw could also be somewhat difficult to use with just your
      fingers if you don't have much hand strength, though it is slotted to use
      coins or screwdrivers.

      David Anderson
      squtch@...<br>
    • David Anderson
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
        Jerry,

        after I sent in my review I noticed that I forgot to include what I was
        reviewing on the subject line. Should I resubmit it so that it has a proper
        subject for the archives or should I just try to be less clueless next time?

        Dave
      • Thomas Vickers
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001
          CMG Infinity Task Light
          [ http://www.cmgequipment.com/infinity2.html ]CMG

          Tester: Thomas Vickers ( I hope this comes out alright. I couldn't seem to get
          organized in my thinking today)
          33 years old
          5' 11"
          165 lbs (working it off)

          SPECS:
          According to CMG, the Task light is 3.215
          machined aluminum, includes a clip and lanyard, waterproof to 10 feet, runs for
          up to 42 hours on a single AA battery. Has a red, white, blue, green, and
          infrared bulb.

          USING THE INFINITY: I chose the white LED when I purchased mine. My first
          impression was that the simple plastic package could have contained more
          information, but most folks can use a flashlight without detailed instructions.
          The package contained the pocket clip (nice and stiff), flashlight, and
          lanyard. I quickly put a AA Lithium battery in and off I went.

          You have to unscrew the front cap (which contains the bulb) to insert the
          battery. Be careful because CMG provides a liberal dose of grease on the
          threads of the front cap. The cap is then screwed on and screwing the cap
          completely down activates the light. To turn it off, you

          The task light is nice and lightweight, but the light from the white LED was
          nowhere near as bright as I expected. I had planned to use the task light as a
          headlamp when I hiked, but there was no way it was going to be used in this
          manner. This was my biggest disappointment, but as soon as I started using the
          Infinity as you are supposed to, I was happy again.

          I have used the light on a couple of short hiking trips, in the car to read, in
          bed to read, to find the key hole in the door when the porch light is out, and
          tons of other places. For close up work, it can
          exceeded 42 hours on my first battery and I have yet to replace it. I wear the
          Infinity around my neck until bedtime, then it comes off.
          That may sound strange, but wait till you are alone in a class room with 25 8th
          graders and the power goes off. No windows, no light and no chance of finding
          the D cell Maglight in the closet. So, I just pop the Infinity out of my shirt
          and light things up till the power comes on.

          It has a flat protrusion where the lanyard is attached. This "flat" end of the
          light makes it very easy to hold in your teeth if you lack a headband to hook
          the Infinity to. Another nice extra was the clip. It was tough enough to
          attach the light to the stiff brim of a hat if you don
          sort.

          As for durability, the aluminum case on this thing is tough. I haven
          it with rocks or anything, but the lack of moving parts and LED make me feel
          much more secure about dropping this thing, which happens on occasion when it
          slips out of your teeth.

          I weighed mine, and with the battery and lanyard it came in at 45.5 grams on
          the scale in the science closet. Not so sure how close that is to the 1.04 oz,
          but it is pretty light in my book.

          CONCLUSION:
          The Infinity Task Light is a good close up work light for hiking or anywhere
          else. I like the battery life, lightweight, size, and durability of this
          little light.
          I do wish it was brighter so that I could use it to hike with, but so far it
          has proven its value several times over. There are a lot of wish list whistles
          I could add to the Infinity, but then it wouldn't be the rugged flashlight that
          it was designed to be.

          What is our aim? Victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of
          all terror;
          Victory how ever long and hard the road may be.
          Sir Winston Churchill
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001

            Nope…that’s ok. Really neat kettle! I’ll have to look into that one. I’ve created a folder for it. Please go ahead and upload it.

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001

              Thanks for the good report. There’s a folder for it.

              Jerry

              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 4, 2001

                Some notes to be shared.
                I spent some extra site at the CMG site today.
                They claim that Lithium AA's extend the 42 hour lifespan (already figure that one out) and if you read carefully, they provide an email address where you can contact cmg and order factory 2nds (blemished, etc..) at the price of 2 for $20.
                I figure for a little chipped paint or such this is a good deal.

                TV

                And the moral of the story is to never lean on the weird. Or they will chop your head off. And perverts will eat your brains.
                                         H.S. Thompson

              • llenrocnave
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 21, 2003
                  I have uploaded my Owner Review on the Gregory Shasta and I just
                  wanted to thank you for giving me the oppertunity to test gear. My
                  thermarest review will be coming shortly.
                • Brian Watters
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 13, 2005
                    Name: Brian Watters
                    Age: 23
                    Gender: Male
                    Height: 5'8" (1.73m)
                    Weight: 135lbs. (66kg)
                    Email address: bqwatters@...
                    City, State, Country: Athens, GA USA
                    Date: 10/13/05
                    Backpacking Background: I started hiking/backpacking one year ago. I mainly
                    do day hikes, but I have been on a few weekend backpacking trips in the
                    Smoky Mountains of Georgia.

                    Chaco Z/2 Terreno Sole

                    - Around town, day hikes, weekend backpacking

                    Product Information

                    - Manufacturer: Chaco
                    - Year of production: 2003

                    - Locations
                    - Used around town
                    - Day hikes through the north Georgia mountains
                    - One weekend backpacking trip on the AT
                    - Locations
                    - Street
                    - Smooth trails
                    - Rough trails
                    - Weather conditions
                    - Dry
                    - Rain

                    o Storms

                    - Trip descriptions
                    - Day to day walking to and from class on sidewalks at the
                    University of Georgia
                    - Rainy day hikes in the Blue Ridge mountains
                    - Stormy backpacking 24 mile (38.64km) trip on the AT

                    Great performance sandal for day to day street expeditions and day hikes
                    where there may or may not be wet conditions. This sandal is super
                    comfortable. Fully adjustable for any style foot. Excellent grip on all
                    types of surfaces wet or dry. The backpacking trip was a little too much for
                    the mileage and stormy conditions (my feet did not stay dry during the hike)
                    hence very soft and easy setting for blisters to form. Easy clean up, just
                    throw them in the wash and let air dry. I would buy another pair in an
                    instant.

                    Likes:

                    - Great Fit
                    - Multi use
                    - Ease of care

                    Dislikes:

                    - Expensive

                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 14, 2005

                      reviews before submission.

                      start applying for Tests.

                      Moderator.

                      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

                      Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

                      the list or contact me directly.

                      Edit Administration Officer
                    • edwardripleyduggan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 18, 2005
                        Dear Brian

                        I have looked over your submission. As it stands, it's missing some
                        crucial elements. In specific, it lacks the detailed description of
                        the environments (temperatures, elevations, trail conditions, etc.) in
                        which you wore the Chaco sandals. More important still, your review
                        lacks... well, a review!

                        There's no discussion of the construction and performance of your
                        sandals, which is, after all, what reviews are about. Do take a look
                        at the Z/2 test reports that I and others have filed on BGT. For an
                        OR, you do not necessaily need to have that same level of detail, but
                        you need far more than you have. I'd strongly urge you to enter the
                        mentor program and resubmit this OR in due course. There is little
                        that I, as an editor, can do with it as it stands. For the mentor
                        program, contact Jennifer Pope

                        Jennifer.Pope@...

                        with the subject line "Request mentor." Your mentor will help you get
                        the review in an appropriate form for BGT.

                        I do, in any case, thank you for your effort and encourage you to
                        follow through on this.

                        Best,

                        Ted

                        BGT OR Editor

                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Brian Watters
                        <bqwatters@g...> wrote:

                        > Name: Brian Watters
                        > Age: 23
                        > Gender: Male
                        > Height: 5'8" (1.73m)
                        > Weight: 135lbs. (66kg)
                        > Email address: bqwatters@g...
                        > City, State, Country: Athens, GA USA
                        > Date: 10/13/05
                        > Backpacking Background: I started hiking/backpacking one year ago. I
                        mainly
                        > do day hikes, but I have been on a few weekend backpacking trips in the
                        > Smoky Mountains of Georgia.
                        >
                        > Chaco Z/2 Terreno Sole
                        >
                        > - Around town, day hikes, weekend backpacking
                        >
                        > Product Information
                        >
                        > - Manufacturer: Chaco
                        > - Year of production: 2003
                        >

                        > - Locations
                        > - Used around town
                        > - Day hikes through the north Georgia mountains
                        > - One weekend backpacking trip on the AT
                        > - Locations
                        > - Street
                        > - Smooth trails
                        > - Rough trails
                        > - Weather conditions
                        > - Dry
                        > - Rain
                        >
                        > o Storms
                        >
                        > - Trip descriptions
                        > - Day to day walking to and from class on sidewalks at the
                        > University of Georgia
                        > - Rainy day hikes in the Blue Ridge mountains
                        > - Stormy backpacking 24 mile (38.64km) trip on the AT

                        > Great performance sandal for day to day street expeditions and day hikes
                        > where there may or may not be wet conditions. This sandal is super
                        > comfortable. Fully adjustable for any style foot. Excellent grip on all
                        > types of surfaces wet or dry. The backpacking trip was a little too
                        much for
                        > the mileage and stormy conditions (my feet did not stay dry during
                        the hike)
                        > hence very soft and easy setting for blisters to form. Easy clean
                        up, just
                        > throw them in the wash and let air dry. I would buy another pair in an
                        > instant.
                        >
                        > Likes:
                        >
                        > - Great Fit
                        > - Multi use
                        > - Ease of care
                        >
                        > Dislikes:
                        >
                        > - Expensive

                      • kholling55
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 18, 2006
                          I was going to do an Owner's Review on a pair of boots, Hi-Tec
                          Altitude 2 but they are not featured on Hi-tec website. They are still
                          on sale and available at shoe/outdoor stores in my area. Can I still
                          do the review? The newer model is almost identicle to my model.

                          Kevin
                        • rayestrella1
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 18, 2006
                            The Altitude II was last offered in 2005. That is still inside of our
                            two-year window, so go for it!

                            Ray

                            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "kholling55" <kholling55@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I was going to do an Owner's Review on a pair of boots, Hi-Tec
                            > Altitude 2 but they are not featured on Hi-tec website. They are still
                            > on sale and available at shoe/outdoor stores in my area. Can I still
                            > do the review? The newer model is almost identicle to my model.
                            >
                            > Kevin

                          • william brandenberger
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 26 12:30 AM
                              Product Review: Badlands Diablo

                              Name: William BrandenbergerAge: 27
                              Gender: Male
                              Height: 5'7
                              Weight: 176 lbs
                              Email Address: matchkingmk@...
                              City: Kodiak
                              State: Alaska
                              Country: USA
                              Backpacking Background: The vast majority of my backpacking involves hiking
                              to go hunting or fishing as well as on an ATV to go camping. I think this
                              should be a great place to test as we have some of the most
                              extreme environmental conditions as well as torturous terrain and
                              bears routinely go through your camping gear.

                              Manufacturer: Badlands
                              Year of Manufacture: 2008
                              Weight: 2lbs 8oz
                              Dimensions: 23"x14"x10"
                              Price: Anywhere between $90 and $120

                              I picked this pack up on a suggestion from a friend and after reading
                              testimonials
                              Product was manufactured in the USA
                              Comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty even if a bear or your dog
                              chews it up.
                              Pack is rated to carry up to 45lbs
                              Is water resistant
                              Has an internal pocket for a 100oz Camelback
                              Comes in AP or MAX1 cammo patterns

                              Having used this pack for almost a year and seriously abusing it I am
                              throughly impressed by it. This is my go to day hunting/fishing pack and I
                              have filled it up with shotgun shells for duck hunting along with food,
                              water, first aid pack my revolver as well as putting several ducks in
                              plastic bags in it and been completely comfortable. I can attest to it being
                              water resistant after having it out in blinding snow/rain storms and dunking
                              it in water while wadding across rivers. The pack is very durable I use it
                              to sit or lay back on while duck hunting and have had it freeze to the
                              ground so had it took me several good yanks to rip it up to no ill effect.
                              The kidney strap make it very comfortable to carry with a heavy load and do
                              not interfere if you don't want to wear them. The zippers are large which is
                              a good thing when wearing gloves. After almost continuous abuse the pack
                              still looks new. All in all I am very satisfied and would recommend this
                              pack and the company to anyone. I am looking forward to purchasing a larger
                              one that can carry a rifle or shotgun for the up coming bear season and
                              will write a review as soon as I use it. On another note I had a friend send
                              one of their SuperDay packs back to them after a Kodiak Brown ripped through
                              it while salmon fishing and he said the customer service was
                              incredible basically "no questions asked just send it back to us." It's hard
                              to find that kind of customer value anymore.

                              My only negative on this pack is the price which pricy at first but after
                              use it is well worth it. I guess you get what you pay for.

                              By the way you can also strap a bow to the back of the Diablo however I have
                              never tried it so I will only comment that you can do it.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2009

                                Edit Administration Manager
                              • Sophie
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 2, 2009
                                  Hi William,
                                  Thanks for your owner review. You are off to a really great start! First off though we need to clarify how much field use you have had with the pack. I would like you to include a section describing where and how much you've used it - if you check out the examples section here http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=1
                                  and possibly reports already on the BGT site you'll get an idea of the sort of thing I mean.

                                  If you want more guidance we also have a mentoring program where you would be helped along by an experienced veteran. If you are interested in that please email the mentor coordinator, Jenn, at mentor@....
                                  Cheers,
                                  Sophie

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 22, 2009
                                    SOPHIE - William Brandenberger(1)- Badlands Diablo Daypack - Posted July 26(msg#77995), Taken Aug 2, Edit Aug 2(78029), Follow up sent Aug 22

                                    Hello William,
                                    Following a review of our Owner Review queue at BackpackGearTest.org I noticed you have not responded to the Edit given for the above Owner's Review, which was posted by Sophie back on Aug. 2. Please refer to message number 78029 at

                                    Please let me know how you wish to proceed with this review so I can inform your editor and update the queue.

                                    Edit Administration Manager
                                  • William Butt
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 2, 2012
                                      COLEMAN HIKING BOOTS, Excursion Series
                                      BY BILL BUTT
                                      OR
                                      January 02, 2012

                                      TESTER INFORMATION

                                      NAME: Bill Butt
                                      EMAIL: tinman1241@...
                                      AGE: 55
                                      LOCATION: Streetsboro, Ohio
                                      GENDER: M
                                      HEIGHT: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
                                      WEIGHT: 214 lb (97.10 kg)

                                      PRODUCT INFORMATION

                                      Manufacturer:  Coleman
                                      Year of Manufacture: not sure
                                      Manufacturer's Website: www.coleman.com
                                      MSRP: US $24.99 to $39
                                      Listed Weight:  Only listed as "Light-Weight."
                                      Measured Weight: About 3 pounds (1362 grams)
                                      Other details: Leather and man-made uppers with thick, durable, well-treaded sole.  These are tan, brown and black.  I chose High-tops so as to have ankle support.

                                      FIELD USE

                                      In July of 2011 after spending the day working with special needs teens at a Horse Camp, explaining and demonstrating the finer points of mucking horse stalls, I had the sole of my old hiking boots come off in my hand while removing them before getting into my car.  I was slightly panicked.  I had three more days of Horse Camp and a caving trip with my Cub Scouts coming up.
                                      I stopped on my way home to see what K-Mart had to offer in the way of new boots.  I was surprised to find they had boots on sale.  I picked up this pair of Coleman boots. My last pair of Coleman's had served me pretty well, may their soles rest in peace.  Deciding on a pair, I proceeded to the checkout and paid my $20 plus tax and headed home.  With so many seams on the uppers and the knowledge that they would be Oh-So near to horse manure for the next 3 days I sprayed them with CampDry water proofing and left them to dry overnight.
                                      The next three days of mucking stalls and two mile hikes with the teens proved no problem for my new boots.  A good brushing with a stiff scrub brush kept them looking pretty new.
                                      In August of 2011, I laced up by boots and traveled to Laurel Caverns in PA, to take part in a day of caving with my Cub Scouts.  My boots carried me through mud, over sandstone and into water during our three hour tour of the caverns.  My feet remained dry and comfortable in my new boots, but the outsides of the boots were covered red mud (red from the high iron content in the soil.).  I was not worried about the mud, I just let it dry good, banged them together to knock off the large clumps and then gave them a good brushing with the stiff scrub brush I mentioned earlier.  Then a quick wipe with wet paper towels made them almost like new.  But, I knew where they had been.
                                      Since August these boots have been served me well on about 20 miles of hikes, provided comfortable footwear for several Cub Scout meetings and kept my feet dry and warm on  two trips to the zoo.

                                      SUMMARY

                                      These boots are my choice of footwear if I am going to be doing any walking and/or it is raining or snowing. They have served me very well indeed.  If these boots ever wear out , Coleman will be my first choice to replace them.

                                      THINGS I LIKE

                                      1) Very durable
                                      2) Clean up easily
                                      3) Sturdy sole
                                      4) Affordable

                                      THINGS I DON'T LIKE

                                      These boots provide everything I need based on what I use them for, so there is nothing I don't like about them.

                                      SIGNATURE

                                      Bill Butt
                                      tinman1241@...
                                      Streetsboro, OH

                                      OF NOTE

                                      Please note I could not find these boots at the Coleman Website.  However, they seem to be available at many, many websites as well as Kmart.

                                      Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 5, 2012
                                        Welcome to BackpackGearTest.org Bill

                                        Thank you for your Owner Review and your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, it looks like this item is not a current enough product and you do not have enough backpacking use with it so it cannot be accepted for editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing process. I've been informed that you have just recently started with our Mentoring Program. Very good choice. I'm sure your mentor will get you squared away with what we are looking for at BGT. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We look forward to seeing another review from you in the near future.

                                        Editors Team Director