Re: Pad slipping in Hennessy

  • John Finston
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      Coy Boy,

      Wow, your the first person other than me who I have found that uses
      (used) a camp trails backpack. I have a wilderness pack (5years old)
      that I like because of the multiple pockets and separate access for
      the sleaping bag. Easy to organize and access pack items. I just
      purchased a GVP G4 to try to lighten my load, but will still use the
      Wilderness for longer, higher pack weight trips. It's a great 3
      season pack, but I can understand why it would not work for winter
      hiking when you have to pack bulkier items. One of the things I like
      about the Wilderness pack is that you can hang things off the pack.
      On a recent trip on Mt. Whitney I was able to attach my bear can to
      the bottome of the pack and my foam pad to the top. Plenty of
      capacity for a 3 day trip in cold weather, and lighter than many
      other packs. Next trip out, however, will be with the G4 and I am
      excited about experiencing the tradeoff between the lighter weight
      and the reduced frills. I'll post my thoughts on the camparison of
      the two packs after my next trip.

      John F.

      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., cstarnes@n... wrote:
      > Before I put any snaps in the nylon I would do like was suggested.
      > Put some patches on either side of the head area of the pad, then
      run
      > two strings or straps up to the head end of the hammock and attach
      > them to the ridge line inside the hammock. Paul Bucca has an
      > ultralight and his pad was sliding down. He put the straps on his
      and
      > it cured the sliding. I think the next step toward perfection would
      > be to come up with a less bulky pad. The weight of my full length
      40
      > inch at the sholder reflectix pad is acceptable but the bulk is an
      > issue. When I add all the extra cloths ect... for winter camping
      plus
      > the reflectix pad I was close to maxing out my 6250 cu. in. Eureka
      > Atlas pack. My older Camp Trails at about 5000 cu inches would not
      > hold all my gear. That was one excuses I used for purchacing the
      > Atlas but I did not figure it would be valid. Now I can say " See I
      > told you I needed another pack"
      >
      > Coy Boy
    • hamockhngr2002
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2001
        The thermarest pads don't slid around so much if you don't inflat
        them. And there really is no need for inflation in the hammock. It's
        more of a barrier. That said I sewed 3 grossgrain ribbons in my
        hammock and slid my windshield refector pad in under them. No
        movement at all. No real damage to the hammock. Just my take on it.
        Sue T (hamockhngr)