Application to test the Big Agnes Parkview Tent

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Sir Dennis,

      Please accept my application to test the Big Agnes Parkview tent. I
      have read the current survival guide v1202 and agree to abide by all
      rules. Shane has received my tester agreement.

      Name: Jason Boyle
      Age: 27
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6"/ 1.68 m
      Weight: 170 lb/ 77 kg
      Email address: c4jc "at" hotmail "dot" com
      City, State, Country: Waldorf, Maryland, U.S.
      Date: November 2, 2004

      I have been camping and backpacking for about 16 years. My
      introduction to the outdoors started with the BSA and has continued
      as an adult. I have hiked mostly in the Southeastern and Northeastern
      United States. I currently live near Washington D.C. and have made
      the mid-Atlantic mountains my playground. I am an aspiring
      lightweight hiker, but I just can't seem to leave behind all of my
      gadgets.

      I am heading out on the Appalachian Trail in central Virginia this
      winter and spring to finish up that section of the AT. Elevation
      will range from 1000' (305 m) to 4000' (1219 m). I expect snow, rain
      and the occasional sunny day. Temperature will range from below
      freezing to the temps in the 70's F (20's C) in the spring.
      Additionally, I car camp with my scout troop and/or my wife and dogs
      monthly.

      I am currently in between on my tenting choices… for warm weather
      backpacking I use my Hennessey Hammock, for car camping I use several
      different tents made by Eureka depending on my company (dogs, wife,
      other scout leader) in the tent, and I use my 4-season Eureka for
      winter trips. If selected the Parkview would be my shelter of choice
      for the duration of the test series including solo trips.

      If selected I would focus on the following areas during the test.

      Durability:
      How well does the tent fabric stand up to trail abuse, specifically
      the floor? I would also be looking for any stress caused by
      packing/unpacking the tent. How strong and flexible is the new atlas
      pole system? Is this new system better than the old pole system? Do I
      need to be concerned about them bending in a strong wind or storm? I
      usually don't hike with another person, but with two dogs, how well
      does the tent stand up to having them share the tent me. Is there
      enough room inside for two dogs and a person? Two dogs and two people?

      Weather/Ventilation
      How well does the tent shed snow/rain? What ventilation options are
      available? Are there mesh windows/vents to help alleviate
      condensation? Is the pitch of the tent taut or will there be a lot
      of play in the tent during windy nights?

      Space:
      How much room is there really for two people? Will there be plenty
      of room for a rousing game of cards or will a bad winter storm cause
      cabin fever? How much gear can be stored in the vestibule? Are
      there organizational pockets inside? What about loops for hanging
      gear or a flashlight inside the tent?

      Convenience:
      Will this tent be easy to set up? Is it easy to set up in inclement
      weather? Is the tent freestanding or is staking required?

      Thanks to BGT.org and Big Agnes if selected for this test.

      My current BGT obligations are as follows:

      LTR testing
      Muttluks Dog Boots – LTR due Nov 16
      Granite Gear Air Compressor sack – LTR due Nov 16
      Keen Newport H2 sandals – LTR due Nov 30
      Imlay Canyon Kegs – LTR due Nov 30
      Red Ledge Cirrus LT – LTR due Jan 4

      I have also been selected for the following tests that have not yet
      begun
      Granite Gear Aptitude gloves
      Shock Dr's Custom Insoles

      All my reviews may be found at