Re:Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)

  • rosaleen43@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      Steve-

      I have no more info than you have, but thanks for the "heads up."

      Rosaleen

      > Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:08:35 -0800
      > From: Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@...>
      > Subject: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)
      >
      > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken Fusion
      > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
      >
      > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until at
      > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
      > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how he
      > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on how
      > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My frame
      > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
      > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
      > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steve
      >
      > (Snip)

    • Will Rietveld
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
        Carbon Fiber pole products do
        > seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will
        develop
        > improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be
        even
        > more cautious with such gear.
        Hi. The carbon fiber part of the frame DID NOT break on my pack. It
        was the composite loop that broke. It inserts into the straight
        carbon fiber tubes, and the break was at the junction. The composite
        loop is threaded on the ends to make it insert into the carbon fiber
        tubing, and the threaded end is the weak point.

        I hope Brian finds a good fix for this. He must be getting a lot of
        returns on the Fusion pack.

        Will
      • Nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
          Thanks Will - I appreciate the clarification. My break appears to have
          been in the composite as well (I can't get the carbon fiber part out to
          examine it, but the end of the composite hoop, which I was able to pull
          out from the flap and sleeve, does appear to be broken and doesn't have
          threads on it.)

          Either way, it does appear to be at the same location: near where the
          two elements join together - and it sounds like something Brian needs
          to change. I'll report back when Brian returns and examines the pack
          and/or sends me a replacement.

          - Steve