RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      Brian is out on the AZT. Unless they bail early, they will be out for a
      couple of weeks longer. At least.
      Jerry

      reviews and tests on the planet.

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        Thanks, Jerry - I eMailed him immediately, but know he's out enjoying
        an extended hike and will call to follow up in a couple of weeks. Sorry
        to have to put my testing of the Fusion on hold.

      • rosaleen43@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Steve-

          I have no more info than you have, but thanks for the "heads up."

          Rosaleen

          > Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:08:35 -0800
          > From: Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@...>
          > Subject: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)
          >
          > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken Fusion
          > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
          >
          > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until at
          > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
          > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how he
          > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on how
          > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My frame
          > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
          > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
          > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Steve
          >
          > (Snip)

        • Will Rietveld
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
            Carbon Fiber pole products do
            > seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will
            develop
            > improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be
            even
            > more cautious with such gear.
            Hi. The carbon fiber part of the frame DID NOT break on my pack. It
            was the composite loop that broke. It inserts into the straight
            carbon fiber tubes, and the break was at the junction. The composite
            loop is threaded on the ends to make it insert into the carbon fiber
            tubing, and the threaded end is the weak point.

            I hope Brian finds a good fix for this. He must be getting a lot of
            returns on the Fusion pack.

            Will
          • Nazdarovye
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              Thanks Will - I appreciate the clarification. My break appears to have
              been in the composite as well (I can't get the carbon fiber part out to
              examine it, but the end of the composite hoop, which I was able to pull
              out from the flap and sleeve, does appear to be broken and doesn't have
              threads on it.)

              Either way, it does appear to be at the same location: near where the
              two elements join together - and it sounds like something Brian needs
              to change. I'll report back when Brian returns and examines the pack
              and/or sends me a replacement.

              - Steve