Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      Agreed - not the best news for the pack. Carbon Fiber pole products do
      seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will develop
      improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be even
      more cautious with such gear.

      Brian also told me, before he left, that he had come up with a partial
      solution to the another issue - the slippage of the pack body relative
      to the pad panel, at least with thinner pads. For owners who need it,
      he sews up the bottom flap to reduce its size, and thus the depth of
      the pad sleeve. I don't know if it's proper to ask for this during a
      test, but if it's OK with him and the moderators, I may have him do it.
      (Using the full-length Z-Rest Brian prefers didn't really solve the
      problem, and may have been what precipitated the cracking of my frame.)

      - Steve

      On Nov 1, 2004, at 10:49 AM, tcoug7 wrote:

      > Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear you had the same misfortune as Will
      > and I. Brian wanted me to mail my pack back to him so he could look
      > at it. He replaced the carbon frame and mailed it back to me. He
      > never told me if he simply replaced it with the same hoop or an
      > upgraded one. I hope he responds in a letter or announcement of some
      > type, since this does not bode well for the pack - three testers all
      > breaking their frames...
      >
      > BTW, it does sound like yours broke in the same place as mine.
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        Brian is out on the AZT. Unless they bail early, they will be out for a
        couple of weeks longer. At least.
        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear you had the same misfortune as Will
        and I. Brian wanted me to mail my pack back to him so he could look
        at it. He replaced the carbon frame and mailed it back to me. He
        never told me if he simply replaced it with the same hoop or an
        upgraded one. I hope he responds in a letter or announcement of some
        type, since this does not bode well for the pack - three testers all
        breaking their frames...

        BTW, it does sound like yours broke in the same place as mine.

        Tim

        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...>
        wrote:
        > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken
        Fusion
        > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
        >
        > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until
        at
        > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
        > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how
        he
        > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on
        how
        > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My
        frame
        > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
        > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
        > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Steve
        >
        > (Drat - I was looking forward to using the Fusion for a snow
        camping
        > overnight in Yosemite this coming weekend, and for a canoe
        overnight in
        > Tomales Bay in a couple of weeks.)

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Thanks, Jerry - I eMailed him immediately, but know he's out enjoying
          an extended hike and will call to follow up in a couple of weeks. Sorry
          to have to put my testing of the Fusion on hold.

        • rosaleen43@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Steve-

            I have no more info than you have, but thanks for the "heads up."

            Rosaleen

            > Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:08:35 -0800
            > From: Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@...>
            > Subject: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)
            >
            > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken Fusion
            > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
            >
            > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until at
            > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
            > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how he
            > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on how
            > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My frame
            > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
            > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
            > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Steve
            >
            > (Snip)

          • Will Rietveld
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              Carbon Fiber pole products do
              > seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will
              develop
              > improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be
              even
              > more cautious with such gear.
              Hi. The carbon fiber part of the frame DID NOT break on my pack. It
              was the composite loop that broke. It inserts into the straight
              carbon fiber tubes, and the break was at the junction. The composite
              loop is threaded on the ends to make it insert into the carbon fiber
              tubing, and the threaded end is the weak point.

              I hope Brian finds a good fix for this. He must be getting a lot of
              returns on the Fusion pack.

              Will
            • Nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                Thanks Will - I appreciate the clarification. My break appears to have
                been in the composite as well (I can't get the carbon fiber part out to
                examine it, but the end of the composite hoop, which I was able to pull
                out from the flap and sleeve, does appear to be broken and doesn't have
                threads on it.)

                Either way, it does appear to be at the same location: near where the
                two elements join together - and it sounds like something Brian needs
                to change. I'll report back when Brian returns and examines the pack
                and/or sends me a replacement.

                - Steve