Re: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)

  • tcoug7
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear you had the same misfortune as Will
      and I. Brian wanted me to mail my pack back to him so he could look
      at it. He replaced the carbon frame and mailed it back to me. He
      never told me if he simply replaced it with the same hoop or an
      upgraded one. I hope he responds in a letter or announcement of some
      type, since this does not bode well for the pack - three testers all
      breaking their frames...

      BTW, it does sound like yours broke in the same place as mine.

      Tim

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...>
      wrote:
      > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken
      Fusion
      > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
      >
      > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until
      at
      > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
      > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how
      he
      > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on
      how
      > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My
      frame
      > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
      > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
      > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steve
      >
      > (Drat - I was looking forward to using the Fusion for a snow
      camping
      > overnight in Yosemite this coming weekend, and for a canoe
      overnight in
      > Tomales Bay in a couple of weeks.)
    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        Agreed - not the best news for the pack. Carbon Fiber pole products do
        seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will develop
        improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be even
        more cautious with such gear.

        Brian also told me, before he left, that he had come up with a partial
        solution to the another issue - the slippage of the pack body relative
        to the pad panel, at least with thinner pads. For owners who need it,
        he sews up the bottom flap to reduce its size, and thus the depth of
        the pad sleeve. I don't know if it's proper to ask for this during a
        test, but if it's OK with him and the moderators, I may have him do it.
        (Using the full-length Z-Rest Brian prefers didn't really solve the
        problem, and may have been what precipitated the cracking of my frame.)

        - Steve

        On Nov 1, 2004, at 10:49 AM, tcoug7 wrote:

        > Well, that stinks. Sorry to hear you had the same misfortune as Will
        > and I. Brian wanted me to mail my pack back to him so he could look
        > at it. He replaced the carbon frame and mailed it back to me. He
        > never told me if he simply replaced it with the same hoop or an
        > upgraded one. I hope he responds in a letter or announcement of some
        > type, since this does not bode well for the pack - three testers all
        > breaking their frames...
        >
        > BTW, it does sound like yours broke in the same place as mine.
      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Brian is out on the AZT. Unless they bail early, they will be out for a
          couple of weeks longer. At least.
          Jerry

          reviews and tests on the planet.

          wrote:
          > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken
          Fusion
          > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
          >
          > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until
          at
          > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
          > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how
          he
          > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on
          how
          > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My
          frame
          > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
          > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
          > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Steve
          >
          > (Drat - I was looking forward to using the Fusion for a snow
          camping
          > overnight in Yosemite this coming weekend, and for a canoe
          overnight in
          > Tomales Bay in a couple of weeks.)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Nazdarovye
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
            Thanks, Jerry - I eMailed him immediately, but know he's out enjoying
            an extended hike and will call to follow up in a couple of weeks. Sorry
            to have to put my testing of the Fusion on hold.

          • rosaleen43@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
              Steve-

              I have no more info than you have, but thanks for the "heads up."

              Rosaleen

              > Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 10:08:35 -0800
              > From: Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@...>
              > Subject: Broken ULA Fusion (ATTN: Rosaleen, Tim, Will)
              >
              > Well, looks like I've made it 3 for 3 for testers with broken Fusion
              > pack frames. Details to be provided in my Long Term Report.
              >
              > I've contacted Brian at ULA, but it looks like he'll be gone until at
              > least 11/15, so I'm posting to the list to say that I will have to
              > place my testing on hold until he gets back and can let me know how he
              > wants to proceed. (If Tim or Will want to give me any pointers on how
              > it went for them, or Rosaleen has information, I'm all ears. My frame
              > snapped on the right side at exactly the height of the full-length
              > Z-Rest pad Brian recommended I use, which also appears to be
              > approximately the same spot everyone else's has snapped.)
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Steve
              >
              > (Snip)

            • Will Rietveld
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                Carbon Fiber pole products do
                > seem to be particularly fragile, so hopefully the industry will
                develop
                > improved ways to compensate for this while we as users learn to be
                even
                > more cautious with such gear.
                Hi. The carbon fiber part of the frame DID NOT break on my pack. It
                was the composite loop that broke. It inserts into the straight
                carbon fiber tubes, and the break was at the junction. The composite
                loop is threaded on the ends to make it insert into the carbon fiber
                tubing, and the threaded end is the weak point.

                I hope Brian finds a good fix for this. He must be getting a lot of
                returns on the Fusion pack.

                Will
              • Nazdarovye
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Thanks Will - I appreciate the clarification. My break appears to have
                  been in the composite as well (I can't get the carbon fiber part out to
                  examine it, but the end of the composite hoop, which I was able to pull
                  out from the flap and sleeve, does appear to be broken and doesn't have
                  threads on it.)

                  Either way, it does appear to be at the same location: near where the
                  two elements join together - and it sounds like something Brian needs
                  to change. I'll report back when Brian returns and examines the pack
                  and/or sends me a replacement.

                  - Steve