Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fw: [BackpackGearTest] Thermo-lite bivy modifications

Expand Messages
  • Gear Tester
    ... From: Gear Tester To: backpackgeartest@egroups.com Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2000 8:46 PM Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Thermo-lite bivy modifications Here
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2000 8:46 PM
      Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Thermo-lite bivy modifications

      Here is a trick with the Thermo-lite bivy you might want to try. It works especially well with the Hennessy but works just as well in a tent or tarp. I first removed all the factory installed Velcro strips from the bivy. I then turned it inside out and sewed the  opening side shut all the way to the top. I then made a cut down the center of the bevy to about 16 inches from the bottom end. I finished the cut on both sides with 1 inch taffeta webbing folded over the cut edge. I added two 3/4 inch web pieces about 8 inches long to one side of the cut, one at 18 inches and the other at 36 inches. To make these straps work with the Thermo-lite I sewed four pieces of 1 inch webbing, two sets opposite of each other at the 18 and 36 inch points. I sewed them using a fairly wide zig-zag stitch running down each of the out side edges. I then sewed two pieces of 3/4 inch loop side Velcro to one side and the 8 inch web strips, with 3/4 inch hook side Velcro sew to most of it's length, on the opposite side. I left a tab about 1 inch long on the "unsewn" end of the 1 inch webbing to act as a handle for opening the Velcro. If done properly, when you pull the strap off the Velcro retainer you'll be pulling on the 1 inch webbing on both sides and not on the Thermo-lite material.
      I added the straps to accomplish 3 goals. The first was to provide much easier entry and closure than the side opening provided. The second was to provide some adjustably to the bevy to allow a thick pad and winter bag to fit inside with out compressing the loft of the bag. The last, but certainly not least, goal was to provide better ventilation in the bivy to stop condensation on the inside of the Thermo-lite, which went right back into the bag. The strap arrangement allowed adjustable gaps in the Thermo-lite material on the top of the bag making venting much more successful. Limited testing (I've got a killer flu) indicates that all three goals were accomplished.

      To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.