Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [BackpackGearTest] Thermo-lite bivy modifications

Expand Messages
  • Jerry Goller
    Interesting. Apparently this has been in Hotmail limbo for 10 days...wierd. Jerry ... _________________________________________________________________ Get
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      Interesting. Apparently this has been in Hotmail limbo for 10 days...wierd.

      >From: "Gear Tester" <geartester@...>
      >Reply-To: BackpackGearTest@egroups.com
      >To: <backpackgeartest@egroups.com>
      >Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Thermo-lite bivy modifications
      >Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:46:57 -0700
      >Here is a trick with the Thermo-lite bivy you might want to try. It works
      >especially well with the Hennessy but works just as well in a tent or tarp.
      >I first removed all the factory installed Velcro strips from the bivy. I
      >then turned it inside out and sewed the opening side shut all the way to
      >the top. I then made a cut down the center of the bevy to about 16 inches
      >from the bottom end. I finished the cut on both sides with 1 inch taffeta
      >webbing folded over the cut edge. I added two 3/4 inch web pieces about 8
      >inches long to one side of the cut, one at 18 inches and the other at 36
      >inches. To make these straps work with the Thermo-lite I sewed four pieces
      >of 1 inch webbing, two sets opposite of each other at the 18 and 36 inch
      >points. I sewed them using a fairly wide zig-zag stitch running down each
      >of the out side edges. I then sewed two pieces of 3/4 inch loop side Velcro
      >to one side and the 8 inch web strips, with 3/4 inch hook side Velcro sew
      >to most of it's length, on the opposite side. I left a tab about 1 inch
      >long on the "unsewn" end of the 1 inch webbing to act as a handle for
      >opening the Velcro. If done properly, when you pull the strap off the
      >Velcro retainer you'll be pulling on the 1 inch webbing on both sides and
      >not on the Thermo-lite material.
      >I added the straps to accomplish 3 goals. The first was to provide much
      >easier entry and closure than the side opening provided. The second was to
      >provide some adjustably to the bevy to allow a thick pad and winter bag to
      >fit inside with out compressing the loft of the bag. The last, but
      >certainly not least, goal was to provide better ventilation in the bivy to
      >stop condensation on the inside of the Thermo-lite, which went right back
      >into the bag. The strap arrangement allowed adjustable gaps in the
      >Thermo-lite material on the top of the bag making venting much more
      >successful. Limited testing (I've got a killer flu) indicates that all
      >three goals were accomplished.

      Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.