Re: [BackpackGearTest] knots

  • Gear Tester
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2000
      I've tried to explain this more than once...usually not very well. I tie the rope from the hammock, about 18 inches from the hammock so the fly adjustment hook has room to move, to the 'biner on one end of the strap. I use a clove hitch for that. The 'biner just stays attached to the fly and the strap. The other end of the 6' strap has another loop/'biner combo. I stand looking at the tree with the end 'biner in my left hand. I reach the 'biner/strap around the tree and take it in my right hand. Obviously if the tree is too big I just walk the strap around. I then bring the strap/'biner the rest of the way around the tree and clip it back to the strap.The strap is now looped around the tree and clipped to itself. THIS IS IMPORTANT. I then start sliding the strap/'biner BACK AROUND THE TREE THE WAY IT CAME. If done properly, the strap should be going back over the 'biner and forming a barber pole strip down the tree. Do not let the strap overlap itself. It will stop the "noose" from tightening properly on the tree. I slide the straps back around the tree on both ends until the hammock it tight and at the height I want. The first time you do this you will have to readjust the straps as the knots on the 'biners tighten up. After the first time you don't because you never untie the 'biners. If I want the hammock really tight I do one readjustment on each end after setting in the hammock. The only nylon straps I've found that won't stretch too much is 1' tubular but it is heavier. I took 1 1/2 inch polypro webbing and folded it over then sewed it. I ended up with 3/4" webbing that has little stretch. I hope this is clearer. It's hard for me to clearly explain but very easy to do. If you still are having trouble with it call me and I'll try to explain it over the phone.
      Jerry