Re: Owner Review - More Backcountry Cooking

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2004
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Shaheen Patel
      <shaheen_patel@y...> wrote:

      >More Backcountry Cooking

      Hi Shaheen

      Thanks for your Owner's Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with
      it for a few days. All our editors are volunteers and your report
      will be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have
      not had a response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this

      review. Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will
      usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
      for the official editor. Please put REVISED at the start of your re-
      post, if you take this route.

      The editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
      start applying for Tests.

      To assist in this process, we ask that you post only ONE Owner Review
      for edit at a time. Our experience is that it is more efficient for
      both the editors and yourself,if you post your first review, have it
      edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and
      subsequent reviews. This way we can work with you on addressing any
      standard BGT policy edits which you can incorporate into your second
      and subsequent reviews before submission.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Officer
    • colonelcorn76
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 16, 2004
        Hi Shaheen,
        Nice review on this book. I've made some edits and flagged them below.
        Please make the appropriate changes and repost it to the group with
        REPOST in the subject line. I'll take a quick look and provide the
        instructions on where & how to upload it to BGT.

        Thanks again for the nice work on this.
        Jim
        Edit Moderator

        <shaheen_patel@y...> wrote:

        > More Backcountry Cooking
        > By Dorcas S. Miller

        ### Add "Owner Review" to the title

        > Book info:

        ### Weight, height/width/depth for those who might consider bringing
        it on the trail?

        > Part 1, which comprises of 148 pages details more than 150 recipes.

        ### "which is comprised of"

        > Each recipe has the number of serving and the nutritional

        ### "servings"

        >information per servings listed alongside the recipe itself.

        ### "serving"

        > Part 2 starts off with a small questionnaire which helped me
        identify my taste and the cuisine I am most likely to enjoy on my

        ### "my tastes"

        >equipments, food storage, dehydrating food at home, converting your

        ### "equipment,"

        > I personally think the tips on how to plan and pack for a long trip
        are simple and effective. I have used them very effectively to plan
        for 5 to 7 day trips.

        ### If you have a couple of favorites, those would be nice additions
        to the review. Something along the lines of "I found....especially
        useful."

        > Why you should buy it:

        ### Projecting. Should be something more like: "Why I think other
        people should buy it too:"

        > I bought this book for the amount and detailed level of information
        it provides. Besides the recipes itself, there is lots of other

        ### "recipes themselves, there are"

        > Sealed pasteurized yogurt will remain for at least 48 hours in
        virtually any weather, says Backpacker field editor Steve Howe. You
        can also freeze it, which extends its trail life by 12 hours. Pesto is

        ### "It can also be frozen,"
      • shaheen_patel
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2004
          sorry for the delay.... I have incorporated your suggested & am
          reposting .

          Thanks

          More Backcountry Cooking - Owner Review
          By Dorcas S. Miller

          Tester Info:
          Name: Shaheen Patel
          Email: shaheen_patel@...
          Age: 39
          Height: 5'1" (1.5 m)

          Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

          Book info:
          Type: Quick and Easy Outdoor Cooking
          Pages: 263
          MSRP: $16.95 (USD)

          ISBN: 0-89886-900-5
          Published by: The Mountaineers
          Year Published: 2002
          Review Date: 01st September, 2004

          Format:
          This book is a compilation of tried and tested recipes from the
          author Dorcas Miller, and other Backpacker magazine food writers.

          Most of the recipes have the contributor's name at the bottom of the
          recipe. The book itself is organized in two parts.

          Part 1, which is comprised of 148 pages details more than 150
          recipes. This section has Meal by Meal recipes for Breakfast,
          Lunch, Snacks, Dinner and Desserts,
          grouped according to when they are eaten. There are recipes to cook
          hot meals, including soups and chowder for the cold weather. For
          the less inclined, there are plenty of `no cook' recipes which
          simply put together various ingredients to make a very satisfying
          and nutritious meals.

          Each recipe has the number of servings and the nutritional
          information per serving listed alongside the recipe itself.

          Part 2 starts off with a small questionnaire which helped me
          identify my tastes and the cuisine I am most likely to enjoy on my
          trip. However, depending on the trips I have taken, my answers to
          the questionnaire have varied. For example it helps me take into
          consideration the difficulty of the trip and the weather
          conditions. This in turn has helped me plan the food intake and the
          type of food I know I will enjoy the most. For example while
          camping in the winter, I plan for hot meals like soups and chowders
          and for my summer trails, I prefer to plan for light meals, like
          wraps, which require minimum preparation.

          Depending on the level of effort one is willing to put in, and the
          trip location, difficulty etc. the book gives helpful tips on what
          to pack, how much to pack and how to pack.

          Part 2 has about 100 pages, and consists of information and tips on
          how to pack efficiently, choosing the right cooking and camping
          equipment, food storage, dehydrating food at home, converting your
          favorite home cooked recipes to trail recipes, baking and planning
          for a long trip.

          I personally think the tips on how to plan and pack for a long trip
          are simple and effective. I have used them very effectively to plan
          for 5 to 7 day trips. For example, the Tuna Wrap recipe below
          illustrates how to pack the ingredients required for the recipe and
          on the trail, this organized packing is a great help.

          Some recipes require at-home preparation such as dehydration, others
          only need to toss the food into your pack.

          Again, for the less inclined, the book has listed sources, including
          websites, where dehydrated and specialty food can be ordered for
          delivery to my doorsteps!!

          The Appendixes on conversions, nutritive values for different food
          types, sources of ingredients are very informational. I
          particularly liked the sources for ordering dried, dehydrated
          ingredients. I have not yet ordered from any of the listed sources,
          but having the information readily available, if needed, is great.

          Usefulness:

          This is an awesome backpacking food book; the variety of recipes
          packed away in this book ensures that no matter what one's culinary
          expertise is, be it a gourmet chef or a novice, there is something
          for everybody.

          I consider myself to be a pretty good cook and have tried numerous
          recipes listed in the book at home too. They come out with flying
          colors (after I make the necessary spice adjustment to suit my
          Indian palate).

          The book is very organized, and I like the way each recipe details
          what are the steps to be done at home, for packing the ingredients
          efficiently, and the steps required to churn up simple but delicious
          meals on the trails.

          The diagrams are not very illustrative and for most parts are not
          really related to the recipes. But then the simple and detailed
          steps do not really require illustrations.

          As with any camping or backpacking trip, a little planning goes a
          long way, and this book helps plan all the meals and the packing of
          the ingredients as well. It lists the food ingredients which will
          stay best for what period of time, and how to prepare and use
          dehydrated ingredients for longer trips. I have used this book to
          help plan out meals for many of my camping trips.

          Though most of the recipes are American cuisine, there are some
          Mexican, Mediterranian and even Indian recipes. However, I would
          stay away from the Indian recipes, as through experience I know that
          the recipes listed are time consuming. The recipes for various
          ethnic flavors ensure that the cook-outs are never the same boring
          canned stuff, but something yummy to look forward to at the end of
          the day.

          I was ok carting the book along for my car camping trips, but find
          it rather heavy to carry for my backpacking trips. For my trails, I
          prefer to jot down the instructions for the recipes I planned on
          cooking instead of carrying the heavy book along with me.

          Reasons I would recommend buying the book:
          I bought this book for the amount and detailed level of information
          it provides. Besides the recipes themselves, there are lots of
          other backpacker's cooking related information with tips on :
          - choosing the right pots and utensils
          - choosing the right stove
          - how to pack efficiently
          - how to store food at the camp sites
          - logistics on planning a long trip, the meals, the quantity, the
          required calories and the
          breakup into carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

          There are plenty of recipes and related information for the
          vegetarians too. I strongly recommend this book as a must have for
          any newbie camper or backpacker.

          Example Recipe:
          Pesto Tuna Wrap
          Total Servings: 2
          By: Steve Howe, Backpacker
          Sealed pasteurized yogurt will remain for at least 48 hours in
          virtually any weather, says Backpacker field editor Steve Howe. It
          can also be frozen, which extends its trail life by 12 hours. Pesto
          is available in small glass jars and metal tubes.
          At home, place in a corner of a zipper-lock bag:
          1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
          Tie off and place in another corner:
          ¼ teaspoon dried basil
          Tie off. In the remaining part of the bag, place:
          2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
          Pack these items individually:
          1 (6 to 7 ounce) package tuna
          2 (12 inch) spinach tortillas
          1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt (you'll need ¼ cup)
          1 small container pesto (you'll need 2 tablespoons)
          On the trail, mix ¼ cup yogurt, 4 teaspoons pesto, and the other
          filling ingredients. Spread on tortillas and wrap.
          Nutritional information per serving:
          Calories: 294
          Protein: 29g
          Carbohydrates: 20g
        • Shaheen Patel
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2004
[...]

            Part 2 starts off with a small questionnaire which helped me identify my tastes and the cuisine I am most likely to enjoy on my trip. However, depending on the trips I have taken, my answers to the questionnaire have varied. For example it helps me take into consideration the difficulty of the trip and the weather conditions. This in turn has helped me plan the food intake and the type of food I know I will enjoy the most. For example while camping in the winter, I plan for hot meals like soups and chowders and for my summer trails, I prefer to plan for light meals, like wraps, which require minimum preparation.

            Depending on the level of effort one is willing to put in, and the trip location, difficulty etc. the book gives helpful tips on what to pack, how much to pack and how to pack.

            Part 2 has about 100 pages, and consists of information and tips on how to pack efficiently, choosing the right cooking and camping equipment, food storage, dehydrating food at home, converting your favorite home cooked recipes to trail recipes, baking and planning for a long trip.

            I personally think the tips on how to plan and pack for a long trip are simple and effective. I have used them very effectively to plan for 5 to 7 day trips. For example, the Tuna Wrap recipe below illustrates how to pack the ingredients required for the recipe and on the trail, this organized packing is a great help.

[...]

            I bought this book for the amount and detailed level of information it provides. Besides the recipes themselves, there are lots of other backpacker�s cooking related information with tips on :
            - choosing the right pots and utensils
            - choosing the right stove
            - how to pack efficiently
            - how to store food at the camp sites
            - logistics on planning a long trip, the meals, the quantity, the required calories and the
            breakup into carbohydrates, proteins and fats.

            There are plenty of recipes and related information for the vegetarians too. I strongly recommend this book as a must have for any newbie camper or backpacker.

            Example Recipe:Pesto Tuna Wrap
            Total Servings: 2
            By: Steve Howe, BackpackerSealed pasteurized yogurt will remain for at least 48 hours in virtually any weather, says Backpacker field editor Steve Howe. It can also be frozen, which extends its trail life by 12 hours. Pesto is available in small glass jars and metal tubes.At home, place in a corner of a zipper-lock bag:
            1 tablespoon toasted pine nutsTie off and place in another corner:
            � teaspoon dried basilTie off. In the remaining part of the bag, place:
            2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheesePack these items individually:
            1 (6 to 7 ounce) package tuna
            2 (12 inch) spinach tortillas
            1 (6 ounce) container plain yogurt (you�ll need � cup)
            1 small container pesto (you�ll need 2 tablespoons)On the trail, mix � cup yogurt, 4 teaspoons pesto, and the other filling ingredients. Spread on tortillas and wrap.Nutritional information per serving:
            Calories: 294
            Protein: 29g
            Carbohydrates: 20g

          • colonelcorn76
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 7, 2004
              Hi Shaheen,
              Some minor edits and then you can upload it to BGT at this URL:

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Books/Cook%20Books/More%20Backcountry%20Cooking/
              or
              http://tinyurl.com/4m75k
              <<<<<Use either link>>>>>

              When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
              marked Owner Review.

              support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

              You may also find it useful to make use of the test upload folder at
              Reviews >Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test
              your upload before uploading the review to its new home.

              Thanks again for the good work.
              Jim
              Edit Moderator

              <shaheen_patel@y...> wrote:
              > Book info:

              ### Adding physical properties would be helpful -- height, width,
              thickness & weight (remember the metrics)

              > Published by: The Mountaineers

              ### Any URL/website for these guys?

              > Review Date: 01st September, 2004

              ### 5 November 2004

              > Format:
              > This book is a compilation of tried and tested recipes from the
              author Dorcas Miller, and other Backpacker magazine food writers.

              ### They spell it "BACKPACKER"

              >equipment, food storage, dehydrating food at home, converting your
              favorite home cooked recipes to trail recipes, baking and planning for

              ### "converting favorite" eliminates the unecessary (and forbidden
              <grin>) "your".

              > Some recipes require at-home preparation such as dehydration, others
              only need to toss the food into your pack.

              ### "into the pack."

              > The Appendixes on conversions, nutritive values for different food
              types, sources of ingredients are very informational. I particularly

              ### "are very informative."

              > I was ok carting the book along for my car camping trips, but find

              ### "okay" or "OK"

              > - how to store food at the camp sites

              ### "campsites"

              > by 12 hours. Pesto is available in small glass jars and metal
              tubes.At home, place in a corner of a zipper-lock bag:

              ### "tubes. At"

              > 1 tablespoon toasted pine nutsTie off and place in another corner:
              > ¼ teaspoon dried basilTie off. In the remaining part of the bag, place:

              ### Watch the spacing. Should be "pine nuts. Tie off" and "dried
              basil. Tie off."

              > 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheesePack these items individually:

              ### "cheese. Pack"

              > 1 small container pesto (you'll need 2 tablespoons)On the trail, mix

              ### ") On the"

              ¼ cup yogurt, 4 teaspoons pesto, and the other filling ingredients.
              Spread on tortillas and wrap.Nutritional information per serving:

              ### "wrap. Nutritional"