Application to Test Shock Doctor UltraCustom Insoles

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
      Here is my application to test the Shock Doctor UltraCustom insoles.
      I have read the current BGT Test Requirements/Survival Guide and
      agree to comply with the requirements as specified. Thanks for
      considering me!

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Name: Colleen Porter
      Gender: Female
      Age: 29
      Height: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight: 140 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: tarbubble at yahoo dot com
      City, State: Irvine, CA
      Date: September 29, 2004
      Shoe Size: Women's 7.5 or 8 (8 on average)

      Backpacking Experience: I have been hiking for fifteen years,
      backpacking for eight. I mostly hike on established trails –
      bushwhacking is rarely planned. I like gear to be simple and light,
      and I do make some of my own equipment. On my own or with other
      adults, I pack pretty light (about thirteen lbs/6 kilograms base
      weight) and am always trying to get lighter, but I am often on family
      trips with my two-year-old son, so then the weight usually doubles.
      My usual backpacking haunts are the San Gabriels, the Sierra Nevada,
      and the Grand Canyon. In winter, lots of car camping and day hikes
      in the Mojave and Colorado deserts.

      Field Information: If chosen to test the UltraCustom footbeds, I will
      be wearing them primarily around southern and central California. We
      can expect hot weather for another three months or so, then the
      blessed cool months begin, so daytime temperatures can still reach
      100 F/38 C. Once winter kicks in I can expect occasional drops below
      freezing, depending on where I go. My only trips specifically
      planned are a November volunteer trip to Anza-Borrego Desert State
      Park (to help undo damage from recent mudslides and flash floods),
      and a snow-camping trip to Yosemite National Park (dates uncertain).
      I will probably visit Joshua Tree NP, Mojave NP, and Death Valley
      this winter as well, which will involve sand, rock, lava beds,
      scrambling, trail hiking, and wide ranges in temperatures. Closer to
      home, the insoles would be used on day hikes, trail runs, jumping
      rope, bike riding, and for street/pavement running.

      Test Plan: to use the UltraCustoms in every shoe I wear, on as many
      different types of terrain that I can get to. I have absolutely no
      experience with aftermarket insoles – not even so much as a pair of
      Dr. Scholl's, so I will be evaluating the soles from that
      standpoint. Will I determine that specialty insoles are necessary?

      The shoes that the insoles will be used in are: Merrell Sonora
      Ventilators (cross-trainers), New Balance 804's (trail runners),
      Merrell Motovator Mid Gore-Texes (for snowshoeing), Spaulding running
      shoes, Merrell Chameleon Ventilator Lows (for backpacking), and any
      other shoes that I feel the insoles would be appropriate in.

      Apparently what makes these "custom" insoles is that the top layer of
      foam molds itself to your feet and will eventually permanently take
      on the shape of your foot, so as to be a perfect fit. This sounds
      really cool, but does it work? How long will it take for the insoles
      to "set?" I recently began having trouble with pronation - I think
      due to some stress injuries my feet got this summer. These insoles
      are supposed to help control pronation – will they? Or will the
      custom-fitting nature of the insoles only serve to reinforce the bad
      habits my feet are learning?

      Will they make walking and running easier? More comfortable? Will
      my feet hurt less at the end of a long day? The insoles have a
      feature called "shockdomes" that are supposed to absorb impact
      shock. Will this result in less pain when I run? I have been able
      to go quite a few years without ever having much in the way of foot
      trouble, but my feet took quite a beating this summer and I find
      myself wondering if insoles might help with the problems I have begin
      to notice (mild pronation, occasional pains in the plantar fascia,
      occasional toe aches).

      Shock Doctor makes a lot of claims about these insoles and what they
      can do. I think I'm a good candidate to evaluate how well the
      UltraCustoms deliver the promised performance. I have nothing to
      compare them to, so I can examine them on their own merits and not be
      unconsciously comparing them to any other models.

      Thanks again for considering my application.

      Current Test Series

      Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite Pad (IR)

      Vargo Triad Titanium Stove (IR)

      Red Ledge Cirrus Lt. Jacket (IR, FR)

      Keen Newport H20 Sandals (IR, FR)

      Test Monitoring

      Red Ledge Full-Zip Pants

      Tikka Plus Headlamp

      I am also a BGT Mentor.

      Completed Test Series

      Gregory Electra Pack
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/Gregory%20Electra/Emma%20Eyeball/

      Insul Mat Max-Lite Women's Edition
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%
      20Mattresses/Insul%20Mat%20Womens%20Max-Lite/Emma%20Eyeball/

      Wilderness Press PCT Guide, Southern California

      Owner Reviews

      Teva Womens Wraptor II Running Sandal

      Kelty Kangaroo Child carrier
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"
        <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
        > Here is my application to test the Shock Doctor UltraCustom
        insoles.
        (snip)
        > Test Plan: to use the UltraCustoms in every shoe I wear,
        (snip)

        I notice you're not planning to wear them in your Keen Sandals...
        Something to do with the "beating" your feet got this summer?
        (Anyway, probably a good choice!)
        ;-)

        André
      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
          <andre.corterier@b...> wrote:

          > I notice you're not planning to wear them in your Keen Sandals...
          > Something to do with the "beating" your feet got this summer?
          > (Anyway, probably a good choice!) ;-)

          LOL, very perceptive of you! i didn't want to point any fingers,
          especially since i'm partly to blame for placing so much trust in
          them. i am afraid my test of the H2s is over - after mutilating them
          the way i did, i don't think further testing would be very fair to
          Keen. i've already half-finished my LTR, anyway. ;)

          -c.
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2004
            At 01:31 PM 30/09/2004, you wrote:

            >I notice you're not planning to wear them in your Keen Sandals...
            >Something to do with the "beating" your feet got this summer?
            >(Anyway, probably a good choice!)

            Or not being a Pom :-)

            Andrew

          • André Corterier
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>
              wrote:
              (snip)
              > Or not being a Pom :-)
              >
              > Andrew

              And that would be ... ?

              André
              who is not a native speaker
              (and who stopped looking for new entries for his English dictionary
              of derogatory terminology at the end of 10th grade)
            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
                At 04:02 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:
                >--- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>
                >wrote:
                >(snip)
                > > Or not being a Pom :-)
                > >
                > > Andrew
                >
                >And that would be ... ?

                English person ... how to spot a Pom ... look at "his" feet ...

                It is a very common term used in Australia and is generally not considered
                derogative.

                Andrew