Are you ready for a shocking experience?

  • Rebecca
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
      I am happy to announce our continued testing with Shock Doctor with the call
      for three testers for the new UltraCustom footbeds.

      Information about these footbeds can be found on the manufacturer's website
      at www.shockdr.com.

      In your applications, please include information about your foot size,
      typical footwear, and insole use background.

      Applications must be complete. The newbie limit applies to this test. I
      will keep this call open for one week, scheduled to close next Tuesday at
      11:59 pm PT.

    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
        Shock Doctor won't even let me look at their site unless i download a
        new flash program. can anybody cut & paste the description? if not,
        i'll just have to bite the bullet and install another #@!%#& piece of
        junk on my computer.

        -c.
      • Rebecca
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 28, 2004
          Unfortunately the flash application doesn't allow cut and paste, or I would
          have copied it in the test call. It was too much information in too many
          places for me to manually type it in. Perhaps information can be found
          elsewhere online, or they have a non-flash site.

          Shock Doctor won't even let me look at their site unless i download a
          new flash program. can anybody cut & paste the description? if not,
          i'll just have to bite the bullet and install another #@!%#& piece of
          junk on my computer.

          -c.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Clifford R. Haynes
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
            I couldn't get the flash app to install properly.
            Rocky
          • Emma Eyeball
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
              oh well, i bit the bullet and installed the flash program. sorry
              about the whining, i just hate installing new things just so i can
              look at a site.

              they look intriguing. i'm typing up my application right now.

              -c.
            • Thomas Vickers
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                Application to test the Shock Doctor UltraCustom Footbeds

                September 30, 2004

                I have read and understood the current requirements in the Survival Guide
                (version v. 1202 as of 9/30/04) and I agree to comply with all these
                requirements as a tester. I also have a signed tester agreement on file
                with Mr. Shane.

                Thomas Vickers
                36 years old
                Male
                5 feet 11 inches tall (1.8 meters)
                170 lb (77 kg)
                redroach@...
                Southeast Texas, Houston Area

                I grew up in the piney woods of southeast Texas. Camping was a quick trip
                into the mosquito-infested woods behind the house. I started hiking in my
                college years and my style has evolved over the past 17 years - from my
                discovery, heavy gear period (internal frame packs, sleeping bags and tents)
                to - believe it or not - heavier, more expensive gear. Over the last 3 or 4
                years, I have begun to take a lighter weight approach to hiking gear (I
                still use sleeping bags and tents, just lighter versions) and I have
                rediscovered the pleasure that can be involved in being outdoors with your
                gear. While I have flirted with lightweight hiking, I feel that I am more
                of a mid -weight hiker now. My philosophy is one of comfort, while carrying
                the lightest load possible.

                My backpacking style is probably described as mid-weight. I like most of my
                gear to be light, but some things are still heavy. My main concern is
                functionality (how well it works, how dependable etc.) over weight, but I
                have discovered that you can reduce your weight without sacrificing
                functionality.

                Additional Tester Information:
                Shoe Size: 10.5

                Footwear:
                The Shock Doctor UltraCustom Footbeds will be used in a variety of shoes
                during the test period. These include Hi-Tek hiking boots, Sketchers
                Athletic shoes, Nunn and Bush Dress shoes (church clothes) and my Sketchers
                Loafers that I wear to work everyday.

                Footbed Background:
                My feet are long and narrow. My mother has always claimed that I am flat
                footed and this explained why my feet, legs, and sometimes lower back hurt
                quite often. Hiking was fun, but it always led to seriously sore feet. As a
                teacher, I spend 6+ hours a day on my feet, which also contributed to sore
                feet and tired legs. I initially started using generic gel insoles in my
                shoes and boots and I had a good deal of success. A couple of years ago I
                discovered a brand of custom fit footbeds that have worked wonders. My
                wonderful flat arches feel great after a long day of hiking or working as
                long as I have these footbeds in my shoes.
                At this point I feel that footbeds are a necessary part of all my footwear.
                Forgetting to switch my footbeds into the shoes I am going to wear leads to
                foot pain that is very unpleasant. For me, footbeds are way of life.

                Testing Location:
                . These footbeds will be tested in South East and Central Texas during the
                winter months. This means temperatures between 40 F and 75 F (7 C to 24 C)
                as well as varied levels of precipitation. This will range from rain all
                the way to dense fog and everything in between.
                . The terrain will mainly be flat with a few hilly sections in central
                Texas.
                . In School on carpet and tile floors

                Testing Activities:
                . Day hikes and weekend trips
                . Daily biking
                . Kayaking on Lake Conroe
                . Daily wear at work (teaching)

                Conditions:
                . Humidity - This will range from nearly 20% to at least 100% in Southeast
                Texas.
                . Rain - Fall in Texas should be wet, cool, and generally a great time to
                test this item.
                . Wind - Dead calm to breezy.

                Test Strategy:
                1. Will the footbeds fit in my hiking boots along with my liner socks and
                hiking socks?

                2. How do the footbeds fit into a variety of shoes? Are there any wear or
                rubbing issues with any type of shoe?

                3. Will the footbeds provide enough support to keep my feet from hurting
                after hiking or working?

                4. How easy/quick is it to switch footbeds between shoes?

                5. After prolonged hiking (2+ days) will the footbeds develop unwanted
                odors?

                6. Will any odors be permanent or will they wash out of the footbeds?

                7. Can the footbeds be washed/cleaned?

                8. How long does it take the footbeds to dry after cleaning or getting wet
                on the trail?

                9. The UltraCustom footbeds are described as "self-forming" to the wearer's
                feet without any special process needed. How quickly does the footbed mold
                to my feet? Will it hold this shape permanently?

                10. Do different types of socks (synthetic, cotton, padded, non-padded) work
                well with the footbeds?

                Tests I am currently involved in:

                Thorlo Hiking Socks

                Seattle Sports Pocket Bucket
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Buckets/Seattle%
                20Sports%20Pocket%20Bucket/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Hats/OR%20Sahara%20Sombrero
                /Thomas%20Vickers/

                MSR Hubba Hubba Tent
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/MSR%20Hubba%20Hubba/T
                homas%20Vickers/

                Katadyn Hiker Water Filter
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%20Treatment/Filters/Katadyn%20
                Hiker%20Water%20Filter/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Ex Officio BuzzOff Convertible Pants
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/Ex%20O
                fficio%20BUZZ%20OFF%20Convertible%20Pants/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Ex Officio BuzzOFF Lite Long Sleeve Shirt
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/Ex%20Officio%20Lite%
                20LS%20Shirt/Thomas%20Vickers/

                I have tested the following items:

                Gregory Z Pack
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Fr
                amed%20Backpacks/Gregory%20Z-Pack/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Integral Designs Dolomitti Jacket
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Integral%20Designs%
                20Dolomitti%20Jacket/

                Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply shirt
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Shirts/Hot%20Chillys%20Bio-
                Silver%20Bi-Ply%20Shirt/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Aquis Adventure Towel (Long term Report Submitted on 3/30/04)
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Towels/Britanne%2
                0Aquis%20Adventure%20Towel/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Six Moon Designs Europa II Tent
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%20Designs%
                20Europa%20II/Thomas%20Vickers/

                TekTite Micra Lithium Trek LED Flashlight
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Flashlights%20-%20LED/Tekti
                te%20Micra%20Lithium/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Golite Hex 2 Shelter
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%20Bivys/GoLite%
                20Hex%202%204-Season%20Shelter/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Enertia Trail Foods
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Food/Packaged%20Meals/Enertia%20Trai
                l%20Foods/Thomas%20Vickers/Field%20&%20Final%20Report%20-%20Enertia%20Trail%
                20Foods/

                Equinox Ultra Light Compression Stuff Sack
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Stuff%20Sacks/Equinox%20Compression%
                20Stuff%20Sack/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Integral Designs Primal Liner
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%20and%20L
                iners/Integral%20Designs%20Primaliner/Thomas%20Vickers/

                Superfeet Quick Fit Insoles
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Superfeet%20Quick%20Fit%20E
                veryday/Thomas%20Vickers/

                I am monitoring the following tests:

                Golite Wizard Jacket
                Keen Footwear Newport Sandals
                Outdoor Research - Motion Fleece Watch Cap
                Innovations by Finbar - Finbar Hood

                Reports I have monitored:

                Magellan - SporTrak Color GPS
                Outdoor Research - WS Gripper Gloves
                Cloudveil Four Shadows Beanie
                Granite Gear Virga Pack
                Granite Gear Aurora Day Pack

                Beta Tests I have completed or participating in:
                Cascade Designs

                I have submitted owner's reports on the following items:

                MSR Pocket Rocket Cannister Stove
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20Pocket%20Ro
                cket/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                Eureka Timberline 2XT Tent
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Eureka%20Timberline%2
                02XT/Owner%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                Therm-a-Rest Deluxe Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%20Matt
                resses/Therm-a-Rest%20Ridge%20Rest%20Deluxe/Therm-a-Rest%20Ridge%20Rest%20De
                luxe%20Sleeping%20Pad%20-%20TV/

                Crystal Body Deodorant Sport Rock Crystal Stick
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Personal%20Hygiene/Crystal%20Deodora
                nt%20Sport%20Rock%20Stick/Crystal%20Body%20Deodorant%20Sport%20Rock%20Crysta
                l%20Stick-TV/

                Kelty Gale Pack
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Fr
                amed%20Packs/Kelty%20Gale/Gale%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                Eureka Gossamer Tent
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Eureka%20Gossamer/Gos
                samer%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                Kelty Breeze Pack
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Packs%20&%20Day%20
                Packs/Kelty%20Breeze/Breeze%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                Gerber Magnum LST Knife
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Gerber%20Magnum%20LST/Gerber%
                20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                MSR XGK Stove
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20XGK%20II/XG
                K%20II%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/

                CMG Infinity Task Light
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/CMG%20Infinity%20Task%20lig
                ht/Task%20Light%20Review%20by%20Thomas%20Vickers/
              • Thomas Vickers
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                  So from what I take from the recent conversation, Jerry says put the MSRP
                  in.
                  That includes test series and OR?

                  Just making sure I am very clear on this before I start beating testers with
                  a stick ;)

                  Tvickers
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                    It's harder to do with ORs as they may well not remember what it is. Let's
                    say an encouraged option on ORrs but required on Series.
                    Jerry
                    reviews and tests on the planet.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2004
                      This is another fine example of small rules changes that are not in the
                      "Survival Guide," but should be in the next version.

                      Maybe we could benefit from a short reference list (posted at BGT News,
                      maybe) which states such fine-tuning points.

                      Rosaleen

                      In a message dated 10/1/2004 2:00:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 3, 2004
                        At 06:56 PM 1/10/2004, you wrote:

                        >This is another fine example of small rules changes that are not in the
                        >"Survival Guide," but should be in the next version.
                        >
                        >Maybe we could benefit from a short reference list (posted at BGT News,
                        >maybe) which states such fine-tuning points.

                        Hi Rosaleen

                        Shane is working on the updated Survival Guide. I like the blog idea. The
                        Yahoo! calendar is also now being utilised to send out reminders on a
                        regular basis.

                        Andrew

                      • Rebecca
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 4, 2004
                          Hey you happy hikers out there - just a reminder that this call is open.
                          It will close as scheduled.