Attaching Hammock to trees

  • David Schultz
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 26, 2000
      I just got my Hennessey Ultra Light and I have noticed that the ridge
      rope is starting to show signs of fraying where I knot it. I have
      only set up the hammock a few times. What do you all think, should I
      worry?

      Also, is there and easier way to attach the hammock to the tree?
      Perhaps using a carabiner and a Prussick knot?

      Tread Well
    • Jack Voss
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 26, 2000
        Dave,

        Are we confusing the main attachment rope with the little, bitty ridge line that supports the mosquito netting? The main lines on mine show "scuff wear"; the ridge line (inside the netting) seems ok. The ridge line never gets knotted.

        I hope this sets your mind at ease.
        Jack Voss
        Informal owner, not official tester.

        >>> david.schultz@... 26 December, 2000 01:14:57 PM >>>
        I just got my Hennessey Ultra Light and I have noticed that the ridge
        rope is starting to show signs of fraying where I knot it. I have
        only set up the hammock a few times. What do you all think, should I
        worry?

        Also, is there and easier way to attach the hammock to the tree?
        Perhaps using a carabiner and a Prussick knot?

        Tread Well

      • Robert Stanley
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 26, 2000
          >What do you all think, should I
          >worry?

          TW, The Test Version of the Hennessy Ultra Light that I recieved came with
          the full length of the rope already frayed from end to end.

          You can see it fairly clearly in the shot at this link:

          http://s1101.tripod.com/hennessy/Untitled18.jpg

          Ive used my hammock on countless nights so far (during the testing) at least
          6 full nights - and it has not gotten worse or showed any signes of not
          being able to take my weight and I weight 250 lbs.

          So I'd say watch it closely but dont worry, it it holds me, even frayed,
          then just about everyone else should be fine!

          Rob Stanley
        • Robert Stanley
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 26, 2000
            > Are we confusing the main attachment rope with the little, bitty ridge
            line that supports the mosquito netting?

            Jack, on the Ultra Light Hennessy its the same rope all the way through the
            hammock. I dont know for sure if it is one piece from end to end, but it is
            exactly the same rope- both support lines, and the internal ridge line.

            Maybe Tom Hennessy uses 3 pieces and connects then under the little covers
            at the ends of the hammock, or he uses one continous peice from end to
            end.... I just havent gotten around to openning up the covers to see.....
            But I will : )

            Rob
          • Michael Tocci
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 26, 2000
              Rob...FYI....the standard and expedition HH's have a ridge line that is your main tie off ( just like the ultra light ) but the netting is held up by a thinner black line just underneath the ridge line...that is to say...the netting is between the thin black cord and the ridge line...Mike
              > Are we confusing the main attachment rope with the little, bitty ridge
              line that supports the mosquito netting?

              Jack, on the Ultra Light Hennessy its the same rope all the way through the
              hammock. I dont know for sure if it is one piece from end to end, but it is
              exactly the same rope- both support lines, and the internal ridge line.

              Maybe Tom Hennessy uses 3 pieces and connects then under the little covers
              at the ends of the hammock, or he uses one continous peice from end to
              end....  I just havent gotten around to openning up the covers to see.....
              But I will : )

              Rob

            • Larry Hillberg
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 27, 2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2001
                  Dear David - I just returned and received the message about your phone call.

                  I don't think you have to worry. The Dyneema cord does not have sheathing
                  and is prone to some fuzzing of the varnish saturation coating. Apparently,
                  the varnish coat is put on for cosmetic reasons to control this chafed
                  appearance.
                  We talked to technicians at Herzog Rope who explained to us that this can
                  happen
                  when the cord is worked, but that this does not seriously compromise the
                  strength
                  of the cord. In fact, he claimed the Dyneema cord was actually stronger
                  after
                  it has softened from use than it is in its new varnished condition. Who'd a
                  guessed?

                  Let us know how it is working out for you.

                  Thanks

                  Tom

                  >From: "David Schultz" <david.schultz@...>
                  >To: BackpackGearTest@egroups.com
                  >Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Attaching Hammock to trees
                  >Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 10:14 AM
                  >

                  >I just got my Hennessey Ultra Light and I have noticed that the ridge
                  >rope is starting to show signs of fraying where I knot it. I have
                  >only set up the hammock a few times. What do you all think, should I
                  >worry?
                  >
                  >Also, is there and easier way to attach the hammock to the tree?
                  >Perhaps using a carabiner and a Prussick knot?
                  >
                  >Tread Well

                • Tom Hennessy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
                    Dave - could you e-mail me your shipping address?

                    Thanks

                    Ann
                    ----------
                    >From: "David Schultz" <david.schultz@...>
                    >To: BackpackGearTest@egroups.com
                    >Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Attaching Hammock to trees
                    >Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 10:14 AM
                    >

                    >I just got my Hennessey Ultra Light and I have noticed that the ridge
                    >rope is starting to show signs of fraying where I knot it. I have
                    >only set up the hammock a few times. What do you all think, should I
                    >worry?
                    >
                    >Also, is there and easier way to attach the hammock to the tree?
                    >Perhaps using a carabiner and a Prussick knot?
                    >
                    >Tread Well

                  • GearTester
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
                      Sure but I think you've probably sent me enough Ultralight hammocks for now Tom.....   ;o)
                      I think you mis-sent this.
                      Jerry
                      Dave - could you e-mail me your shipping address?

                      Thanks

                      Ann
                      ----------
                      >From: "David Schultz" <david.schultz@...>
                      >To: BackpackGearTest@egroups.com
                      >Subject: [BackpackGearTest] Attaching Hammock to trees
                      >Date: Tue, Dec 26, 2000, 10:14 AM
                      >

                      >I just got my Hennessey Ultra Light and I have noticed that the ridge
                      >rope is starting to show signs of fraying where I knot it. I have
                      >only set up the hammock a few times. What do you all think, should I
                      >worry?
                      >
                      >Also, is there and easier way to attach the hammock to the tree?
                      >Perhaps using a carabiner and a Prussick knot?
                      >
                      >Tread Well

                    • GearTester
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 2, 2001
                        Actually, I think I did....sorry about that....guess I need more time out.......lol.
                        Jerry