RE: [BackpackGearTest] Re: CORRECTED:> CALL FOR OWNER REVIEWS - CALLING HAPPY SNAPPERS & COMFY CAMPERS

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      > Right. But THIS BACKPACKER, and I'm not alone, isn't
      > interested in gram-weenie cameras. My angle here is to tell
      > backpackers how the camera in question acts in the field.
      > That is to say, how much space does it take in the pack,
      > what steps needed to be taken in order to ensure it's safety
      > (drybag, bubble wrap, etc), what type of batteries does it
      > take, how do those batteries coupled with the
      > camera perform in cold temps, in general, how does the
      > camera perform in rain, snow, sand... when running down the
      > trail with it, etc.

      Yeah. That's what I said. Where's the confusion?

      > You're right. I didn't want to talk about a bunch of techno
      > mumbo-jumbo, but I think that any camera should be open to
      > review, from a backpacking perspective. Certainly, the
      > questions I've outlined above are valid to a backpacker,
      > apply to most cameras, and are simply not covered in most
      > technical review sites that concentrate on lab environments.
      >
      > It's not about WHAT CAMERA we select as much as HOW the
      > review is written, IMO.

      Right. Perfectly true. I know someone who carries a large format camera
      when backpacking. That's great. The review is going to have to be from a
      backpacking angle.

      The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
      photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment that
      some of us do. What you're talking about in that case is like writing a
      review of a Sealy Posturepedic mattress that you just love for
      backpacking...

      Shane
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        > It's not about WHAT CAMERA we select as much as HOW the review is
        > written, IMO.

        Yep and that is what has been said by Shane repeatedly. Time to move on
        please.

        Andrew
      • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
          >Photographic equipment is NOT backpacking gear. A large enough portion
          of
          >the backpacking population carries cameras, though, so that's our angle.
          -and-
          >The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
          >photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment that
          >some of us do.
          >
          >Shane

          Oooh! Sounds like projecting.

          Jet

        • Shane
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
            > >The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
            > >photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment
            > >that some of us do.

            > Oooh! Sounds like projecting.

            Well I'd say that it sounds like projecting to YOU, but then that would be
            projecting.

            Arguing with an editor is confusing...

            ;)

            Shane