Re: CORRECTED:> CALL FOR OWNER REVIEWS - CALLING HAPPY SNAPPERS & COMFY CAMPERS

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
      <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > It shouldn't matter... the point is that the review talks
      > > about how the camera performed, both in terms of it's
      > > application at capturing the moment in the field and as
      > > "baggage" being carried into the field.
      >
      > I agree. My point is that BGT reviews of cameras should be
      > focused on those aspects of the camera that make it attractive to
      > backpackers.

      Right. But THIS BACKPACKER, and I'm not alone, isn't interested in
      gram-weenie cameras. My angle here is to tell backpackers how the
      camera in question acts in the field. That is to say, how much
      space does it take in the pack, what steps needed to be taken in
      order to ensure it's safety (drybag, bubble wrap, etc), what type of
      batteries does it take, how do those batteries coupled with the
      camera perform in cold temps, in general, how does the camera
      perform in rain, snow, sand... when running down the trail with it,
      etc.

      > If I want to know about the technical aspects of a camera, I'll go
      > to one of those sites.

      You're right. I didn't want to talk about a bunch of techno mumbo-
      jumbo, but I think that any camera should be open to review, from a
      backpacking perspective. Certainly, the questions I've outlined
      above are valid to a backpacker, apply to most cameras, and are
      simply not covered in most technical review sites that concentrate
      on lab environments.

      It's not about WHAT CAMERA we select as much as HOW the review is
      written, IMO.
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        > Right. But THIS BACKPACKER, and I'm not alone, isn't
        > interested in gram-weenie cameras. My angle here is to tell
        > backpackers how the camera in question acts in the field.
        > That is to say, how much space does it take in the pack,
        > what steps needed to be taken in order to ensure it's safety
        > (drybag, bubble wrap, etc), what type of batteries does it
        > take, how do those batteries coupled with the
        > camera perform in cold temps, in general, how does the
        > camera perform in rain, snow, sand... when running down the
        > trail with it, etc.

        Yeah. That's what I said. Where's the confusion?

        > You're right. I didn't want to talk about a bunch of techno
        > mumbo-jumbo, but I think that any camera should be open to
        > review, from a backpacking perspective. Certainly, the
        > questions I've outlined above are valid to a backpacker,
        > apply to most cameras, and are simply not covered in most
        > technical review sites that concentrate on lab environments.
        >
        > It's not about WHAT CAMERA we select as much as HOW the
        > review is written, IMO.

        Right. Perfectly true. I know someone who carries a large format camera
        when backpacking. That's great. The review is going to have to be from a
        backpacking angle.

        The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
        photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment that
        some of us do. What you're talking about in that case is like writing a
        review of a Sealy Posturepedic mattress that you just love for
        backpacking...

        Shane
      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
          > It's not about WHAT CAMERA we select as much as HOW the review is
          > written, IMO.

          Yep and that is what has been said by Shane repeatedly. Time to move on
          please.

          Andrew
        • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
            >Photographic equipment is NOT backpacking gear. A large enough portion
            of
            >the backpacking population carries cameras, though, so that's our angle.
            -and-
            >The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
            >photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment that
            >some of us do.
            >
            >Shane

            Oooh! Sounds like projecting.

            Jet

          • Shane
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2004
              > >The simple fact, though, is that the vast majority of backpackers are not
              > >photo nuts and aren't going to lug the 15 pounds of camera equipment
              > >that some of us do.

              > Oooh! Sounds like projecting.

              Well I'd say that it sounds like projecting to YOU, but then that would be
              projecting.

              Arguing with an editor is confusing...

              ;)

              Shane