Re: REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Hennessy Hammock Safari

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi, Dylan. Welcome.
      Just a pet peeve I noticed (at the end of your fourth paragraph after
      the product description):

      > This has made the hammocks
      > perfect for camping back there as we have set up on the few trees
      > there are over cactus and rock ledges one time, and off of cams set
      > in a crack in a cliff face over uneven rock slabs the other.

      "off of" is an "of" too many.

      Great idea, btw. - it hadn't occurred to me at all (but then I don't
      do any climbing). I may have to get cams regardless...

      Cool report.

      André
    • hum469@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
        Owner Review - Hennessy Hammock Safari ASym

        Reviewer Information

        Name: Dylan Anderson
        Age: 23
        Gender: Male
        Height: 5'10" / 178 cm
        Weight: 175 lbs / 79 kg
        Email address: HUM469@...
        City, State, Country:Phoenix, AZ U.S.A.
        Date: August 19th, 2004
        Backpacking Background: I started hiking at 5, and in 18 years I've
        traveled everywhere. From Alaska's glaciers to Hawaii's Kalalau,
        Grand Canyon lows to the heights of Colorado and Washington I've
        challenged everything. My home, Phoenix's desert, is a perfect base
        from which to rock climb, raft and kayak, ski, bike and sail. Every
        climate is within 8 hours drive. The ocean, mountains, canyons,
        forest or field, its all near by. Either as a scout troop leader, or
        on my travels, I'm backpacking at least once a month, about 6 weeks a
        year. I'm the gear info guy for those I know, as my collection is
        huge. I plan to increase my travels further, and anticipate learning
        more doing as many reviews as I'm allowed!

        Product Information

        Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammock
        Year of Manufacture: 2004
        Listed weight: 4 lbs 8 oz / 2 kg
        Weight as delivered: 4 lbs / 1.8 kg
        Packed Dimensions: 7" X 12" / 17.8 cm X 30.5 cm
        MSRP: $199.00

        My Safari arrived on time, just as it was supposed to in the now
        famous Tyvex sack showing only slight scuffing from UPS's conveyor
        belts. Packed nice and neat inside was my Safari, along with an
        Explorer model I had ordered for a friend, and two sets of
        snakeskins. Needless to say I hurried right down to my neighborhood
        park to start checking it out right away and install the snakeskins.

        This was not my first Hennessy, but that is another story, and it set
        up in next to no time. And I must say the snakeskins make a world of
        difference. My previous Hennessy was a Backpacker Ultralight I used
        on only one trip. Aside from wanting more size, the only problem I
        had with it was trying to fold such a slippery nylon with such a
        strange shape. The snakeskins make the setup and tear down time
        almost non-existent. As for the rest of the hammock, the build
        quality was excellent with no loose threads or busted stitching. I
        fell in love with the size right away too. I did not have a problem
        with the backpacker, but I definitely love the extra size. I have
        since found that I can bring virtually all of my gear inside with me,
        and that day at the park my wife even took a nap inside it with me.
        I do not suggest this for everyone since the nature of the hammock
        forces you to stay in one another's arms. There certainly is no
        rolling away from one another, but with a cool breeze and the feeling
        you are sleeping in a cloud, who would want to roll?

        After getting the snakeskins on and checking the body, I moved on to
        the new Hex fly. It is HUGE! About the same size as my old Moss
        Heptawing, and definitely as stoutly built, I expect great things
        from it. With 6 corners (All of which had pre-installed guy lines,
        and a nifty little combo reinforcement patch/line storage pocket),
        and a span of 10' by 12' (3m by 3.7m), it is very versatile. Ann had
        told me when I ordered it, that you can substitute this hex fly for
        the standard fly when you order most models, and I would do so in a
        heart beat. She did say however that it would not fit in the
        snakeskins with the Safari, but I found that not to be a problem.
        For me it fit just fine. Maybe the somewhat tighter fit will wear
        the silicone coating too quick, I am not sure. I will be keeping my
        fly separate anyway in case of an emergency, but I would make it a
        point to ask about this if subbing it onto another smaller model.

        So far, I have only gotten to use the hammock twice out in the
        field. Both times were out in an area of the Wet Beaver Wilderness
        area here in central AZ called Beaver Creek or the Bell Trail. The
        area is a relatively narrow canyon with some riparian vegetation down
        in the creek bottom, and high desert flora and fauna on the canyon
        slopes. Also there is a large degree of Sedona Red Rock type cliff
        faces and sand stone slab platforms. The creek forms two large pools
        excellent for swimming and cliff diving in the narrower section of
        the canyon, and as a result, camping areas are very few and often
        full due to the popularity of the area. This has made the hammocks
        perfect for camping back there as we have set up on the few trees
        there are over cactus and rock ledges one time, and off of cams set
        in a crack in a cliff face over uneven rock slabs the other. Both
        clearly places a mortal (tent or tarp) camper could never consider!

        Typical temperatures in the canyon in July/August when I went are in
        the upper 90's (degrees F or mid 30's C) during the day and lower
        70's (F, or mid 20's C) during the night. In both cases the hammocks
        were great. For the heat of the day I managed to prop up the fly
        high and use it as a shade, and by lowering the up wind side, could
        direct and accelerate the breeze, cooling myself in the shade. In
        the evening, with the fly down low on both sides, enough heat was
        retained that my sleeping bag was completely worthless. On the
        second trip I also got to experience a much colder night when a
        sudden thunderstorm came in early evening. Winds started to gust up
        to 40 miles per hour (64 km/h) I later learned from the weather
        service, and the over night temperature was 60° F (15.6°C) according
        to my thermometer. That night I was still warm in shorts and shirt,
        and my sleeping bag more piled beside me than over me. I was simply
        amazed that there was next to no swinging once I got in and weighted
        the hammock. The wind mostly seemed to cause a soft, comforting
        vibration, and of course the occasional howl or flap of a fly edge.
        I though I might get some rain trials too, but unfortunately it never
        fell.

        Back in Phoenix, with an approaching rainstorm, I rushed to the park
        to try out the rain performance. After setting up, and getting good
        and comfortable, only three drops fell. Therefore I think that the
        new Hex fly has the unique capability to drive off the rain in even
        the most promising storms. In all seriousness, I have not been able
        to try it in the rain, but testing with a garden hose suggests some
        serious rain protection.

        Summary

        I look forward to a lot more use out of my Safari. The massive size,
        the excellent build quality, and very helpful support from Tom and
        the rest of the Hennessy staff make it a great product. I find
        myself looking for excuses to use it, like when my A/C went out and I
        napped in it, in the cool breeze of the park while awaiting the
        repair tech! Any time you plan trips, and look for excuses to use a
        piece of gear, there must be something special about it.

        Pros:
        · Lighter than the average tent/ground pad combo
        · Very well constructed, and inspires confidence in it's durability
        · Versatility to function as the most comfortable tent I have ever
        owned, to a cook shelter, and a chair, as well as room for a lot of
        people in an emergency (fly alone as emergency tarp, or two in
        hammock and 3-4 more under hammock in emergency)
        · Tread lightly compatible
        · So many more camping area choices, and in such comfort too!
        Cons:
        · I don't wake up nearly as early as I used to on camping trips!
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
          Thanks Dylan, I'm sure the editors will appreciate you making your OR
          as good as possible before they get it. That should make their job
          much faster and easier. In the future please use REVISED for this
          type of post and REPOST once it has been edited by an editor and you
          have made the changes. It just helps me keep things on track.

          Thanks
          Jamie D

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, hum469@y... wrote:
          > Owner Review - Hennessy Hammock Safari ASym
        • colonelcorn76
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
            Dylan,
            Good start here. You noted that you've only used it a couple of times
            backpacking. Typically we look for longer term experience with a piece
            of gear so you can comment on its performance over a range of
            conditions and use. Issues like durability for instance can only be
            ascertained over time unless it fails in early use.

            You should pick an item of gear that you've used for more than a few
            trips, a season or two in fact, for your ORs. After you've had more
            time with the Safari, you can resubmit it with the additional insights
            you'll find with more extended use.

            I went ahead an flagged my edits anyway so you can make the changes
            here so you're not making the same edit errors in your next review.

            Thanks again for the good start. I'm looking forward to looking at
            your next review.

            Jim
            Edit Moderator

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, hum469@y... wrote:

            > forest or field, its all near by. Either as a scout troop leader, or

            ### "Scout" assuming you're referring to the Boy or Girl Scouts and
            not the forward scouts of the Army.

            > famous Tyvex sack showing only slight scuffing from UPS's conveyor

            ### "Tyvek" ... also, "UPS'" since it ends in an "S" it doesn't
            require an apostrophe-s for the possessive form

            > snakeskins. Needless to say I hurried right down to my neighborhood

            ### "SnakeSkins" is the way Tom spells it...It's also spelled
            "Snakeskins" on Tom's website so I would think either is acceptable.

            > park to start checking it out right away and install the snakeskins.

            ### "SnakeSkins."

            > up in next to no time. And I must say the snakeskins make a world of

            ### "SnakeSkins"

            > strange shape. The snakeskins make the setup and tear down time

            ### "SnakeSkins"

            > fell in love with the size right away too. I did not have a problem
            > with the backpacker, but I definitely love the extra size. I have

            ### "Backpacker" ... Also, how big is the Safari? You mention the fly
            size but not the hammock size.

            > After getting the snakeskins on and checking the body, I moved on to

            ### "SnakeSkins"

            > and a span of 10' by 12' (3m by 3.7m), it is very versatile. Ann had

            ### "3 m by 3.7 m" ... separate the unit abbreviation from the quantity

            > told me when I ordered it, that you can substitute this hex fly for

            ### "I could substitute"

            > the standard fly when you order most models, and I would do so in a

            ### "when ordering most"...Avoid the use of "you"/"your"/"you're/etc.
            to avoid projecting - first person please when writing.

            > heart beat. She did say however that it would not fit in the
            > snakeskins with the Safari, but I found that not to be a problem.

            ### "SnakeSkins"

            > So far, I have only gotten to use the hammock twice out in the
            > field. Both times were out in an area of the Wet Beaver Wilderness

            ### Two uses is generally too few for a review on BGT. We're looking
            for longer-term experience with a product so the "cool new" factor
            wears out and you can make a more suitable evaluation. Also, often
            issues with gear won't show up until after you've had a chance to use
            it in a variety of conditions over time.

            > slopes. Also there is a large degree of Sedona Red Rock type cliff
            > faces and sand stone slab platforms. The creek forms two large pools

            ### "sandstone"

            > were great. For the heat of the day I managed to prop up the fly
            > high and use it as a shade, and by lowering the up wind side, could

            ### "upwind"

            > direct and accelerate the breeze, cooling myself in the shade. In
            > the evening, with the fly down low on both sides, enough heat was
            > retained that my sleeping bag was completely worthless. On the

            ### What do you mean "sleeping bag was completely worthless" --
            typically that would mean you were cold but it seems more likely that
            you didn't need your bag due to the heat retention you mentioned but
            it's not clear...

            > service, and the over night temperature was 60° F (15.6°C) according

            ### "overnight"

            > the most promising storms. In all seriousness, I have not been able
            > to try it in the rain, but testing with a garden hose suggests some
            > serious rain protection.

            ### Nice to know but not an acceptable substitute for actual field
            experience. You may find rain falling nearly horizontally when driven
            by high winds and the garden hose test probably didn't test this.

            > napped in it, in the cool breeze of the park while awaiting the
            > repair tech! Any time you plan trips, and look for excuses to use a

            ### "Anytime I plan"

            > · Very well constructed, and inspires confidence in it's durability

            ### "its" ...it's is the contractual form of "it is"
          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 27, 2004
              At 01:32 AM 23/09/2004, you wrote:
              >Thanks Dylan, I'm sure the editors will appreciate you making your OR
              >as good as possible before they get it. That should make their job
              >much faster and easier. In the future please use REVISED for this
              >type of post and REPOST once it has been edited by an editor and you
              >have made the changes. It just helps me keep things on track.

              Hi

              This is most important. Reposts refer to Owner Reviews in editing whereas
              Revised refers to Owner Reviews waiting to be edited. A very important
              distinction.

              Regards
              Andrew Priest
              Senior Edit Moderator

            • hum469@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 28, 2004
                Ah, there is a slight error there. In fact a whole other paragraph
                is missing. Suppose that will teach me to write with troublesome
                kids in the background. The paragraph about two uses should have
                read 2 times where tents could not go. I have also used it 7 other
                times camping in the last year, but in tent camp sites because the
                group I was with was not yet hammocking. And I used the Backpacker
                Asym for a season before that. Is that then enough expereince? A
                season or two is not a long time to me, since most of my gear I end
                up using for 6 years ago. But if 1-2 seasons is all you are looking
                for, I have that here with the hammock and will add in that missing
                paragraph if that is sufficient. I just would hate to go back to the
                bottom of the list since it has taken a month and a half to get this
                far. And since I know you guys are real busy, I would hate to make
                everything have to start all over.
              • Andrew Priest
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2004
                  At 12:52 AM 29/09/2004, you wrote:
                  >Ah, there is a slight error there. In fact a whole other paragraph
                  >is missing.

                  Please understand we have to deal a large volume of emails here. I would be
                  appreciated if you (a) addressed your email to the person concerned, when
                  applicable and (b) signed your emails.

                  Thank you
                  Andrew Priest
                  List Moderator