ICP Exponent & BattPak Application - Bill Jeffrey

  • AsABat
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 11:01 PM
      Please accept my application for testing the ICP Exponent & BattPak.

      Bill Jeffrey
      46 year old male, 6'4" (193 cm) tall, 225 pounds (102 kg)
      wjj2001 AT yahoo DOT com
      San Diego County, California
      August 31, 2004
      Backpacker over 30 years, Scout leader and backpack instructor for 12
      years.

      I have over 30 years backpacking experience, starting with Scouting
      as a youth. I am currently the High Adventure Leader for a Scout
      Troop. I try to get out once or twice a month, plus at least one week-
      long trek each year. My trips are of two types. First, I am hiking
      the Pacific Crest Trail in sections, and generally use a lightweight
      approach on these typically solo trips. Other trips involving family
      involve more traditional backpacking equipment. Terrain varies from
      sea level to 14,000 feet (4,300 m), desert to mountain, and trail to
      cross country, occasionally including snow travel.

      BACKGROUND

      While I try to keep my pack weight low, I do carry a few electronic
      gadgets with me. Besides the basic digital camera and cell phone, I
      am a ham radio operator. I carry a handheld two-way radio with me on
      all my hikes. Evidence of my obsession can be found on my Repeater
      Guide to the Pacific Crest Trail at www.qsl.net/aa6j/pct . In
      addition, I am a member of a volunteer organization that works with
      our local sheriff department to provide mutual aid communications
      between different law enforcement, fire, and public assistance
      agencies. All these devices require batteries, and lots of them. I
      welcome the opportunity to test a way to recharge these batteries out
      in the backcountry.

      While I do hold an Extra class amateur radio license, I should point
      out that I am not technical when it comes to electronics. Rather, I
      get frustrated if things do not work just right when I simply plug
      them in.

      TEST LOCATIONS

      During the course of the test I will follow the weather on my
      outings. Initial outings will be in the mountains of Southern
      California, while later trips this winter will take me to the remote
      Anza-Borrego Desert. Elevation will range from sea level to 10,000
      feet (3,000 meters). The weather could be anything from a warm and
      dry 85 degrees F (30 C) to a "balmy" 15 F (-10 C), with wind very
      likely, rain probably, and possibly a bit of snow.

      TEST PLAN

      General plan: I will be testing the product components in two ways.
      First, as a way to charge batteries while on the trail. Second, as a
      way to directly power equipment while hiking, to save my batteries
      for use at night. Radio transmission requires more power than cell
      phones, radios, and GPS receivers.

      Ease of use: Is it easy to set up and use? Is it easy to install
      batteries for charging? Are the instructions clear and easy to
      understand? Does the cigarette lighter outlet hold my charging cord
      securely, or does it work its way loose and cause me to lose power?

      Portability: While it may "strap to any backpack," how well does it
      strap to small soft pack? Does such an installation reduce the
      efficiency of the solar charger? What does the system weigh, after
      including the charging cords from my own equipment as well (which
      apparently are needed to connect the system)?

      Battery charging time: Wide ranges of time to charge batteries for
      various devices are noted on the website. How long does it take to
      charge a cell phone or a pair of AA batteries for a camera?

      Power: According to the website, "the FLEX 5 can produce enough
      power...to run portable electronics, such as cellular phones..." Can
      it produce enough power to run a small FRS or 2-meter ham radio, and
      at what power output through the radio antenna?

      Sunshine, or the lack thereof: While Southern California is known for
      its sunshine, we do get a cloudy day or two! How does power output
      drop during overcast or cloudy conditions, both for battery charging
      and for direct power to equipment? Does use during cloudy conditions
      cause my batteries to lose their charge?

      Durability: Does the material deteriorate over time from exposure to
      sunlight? Just how "fully weatherproof" is it? Is it damaged from
      flexing while carried in a pack or from folding and unfolding for
      storage? How does it withstand an impact if the pack is dropped? Is
      it easily cleaned from exposure to desert dust storms?

      PREVIOUS BGT TESTS

      I am currently involved in the following tests, which do not conflict
      with my ability to complete this test:

      BearVault BV200
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Bear%20Resistant%
      20Containers/BearVault%20BV200/Bill%20Jeffrey/
      (Long Term Report due November 30)

      My other previous test reports:

      * Black Diamond Zenix headlamp
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%
      20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Zenix/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Six Moon Designs Europa II tent
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Six%20Moon%
      20Designs%20Europa%20II/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Seychelle In-Line Eliminator filter
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%
      20Treatment/Filters/Seychelle%20In-Line%20Eliminator/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Hilleberg Akto Tent
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Hilleberg%
      20Akto%20Tent/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Wilderness Press Pacific Crest Trail - Southern California
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Books/Trail%
      20Guides/Wilderness%20Press%20PCT%20Guides/Wilderness%20Press%20-%
      20Southern%20California/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Integral Designs Sil Shelter
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tarps%20and%
      20Bivys/Integral%20Designs%20Sil%20Shelter/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Black Diamond Ion headlamp
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%
      20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Ion/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Black Diamond Moonlight
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%
      20LED/Black%20Diamond%20Moonlight/Bill%20Jeffrey/

      * Seychelle Gravity Filter (2000)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Water%
      20Treatment/Filters/Seychelle%20Gravity%20Filter%20-%202000/Bill%
      20Jeffrey/
      (The first BGT test - under different report standards)

      I've also submitted the following owner reviews:

      New Balance 803 shoes
      GVP G4 Pack backpack
      Red Ledge Thunderlight rain gear
      Marmot Arroyo sleeping bag

      I also monitored the following tests:

      Imlay Canyon Gear Canyon Dry Kegs (in process - LTR due November 30)
      Six Moon Designs Starlite pack (in process - LTR due September 14)
      Brasslite Duo Stove
      National Geographic Topo! Software
      Lowe Ophir pack

      Of course, I HAVE RE-READ THE REQUIREMENTS IN THE BGT SURVIVAL GUIDE
      (v. 1202) AND WILL COMPLY WITH THE REPORT REQUIREMENTS.

      Thank you for this opportunity,

      Bill Jeffrey
      ("AsABat")
      www.4Jeffrey.Net