[EDIT] MSR Missing Link Tent Long Term Report [TED]

  • jetriple@rockwellcollins.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hi Ted!

      Very nice and well written report. Thank you. I don't believe I found
      any typos. WooHoo!. I did find, very early in your report, a line or two
      which I couldn't help but think would fit the description of "projecting".
      Then once I had my PP (Projecting Police) hat on, I found several more
      instances. I am open to a discussion on this if you disagree, but my
      initial reaction was "projecting". Otherwise... fantastic job!

      Thanks again Ted! You have made the monitoring process easy and
      enjoyable.

      James T.
      MSR ML Test Monitor

      +++++++++++++++

      This may be a concern to anyone who is planning to use the tent among a
      group on less-than-expansive designated.
      [EDIT] Despite my desire to stay away from the projecting issue unless
      there is a clear-cut violation, I can't stop thinking this is projecting.
      Any way to reword this so it is about *you* (the author) rather than
      *anyone* (the reader)?

      In this circumstance, one wants to find an adequate space quickly and
      quickly pitch.
      [EDIT] Same projecting comment - sorry.

      It must be said that two of my party were also using single-wall tents
      (both Wanderlust Nomads) and both experiencing the identical phenomenon.
      [EDIT] I believe "were using" is past tense - so "experiencing" should be
      "experienced"

      Still, the Missing Link user should bear this in mind when camping along
      rivers!
      [EDIT] Projecting. In this case the "Missing Link user" sounds like the
      reader rather than the author

      When leaving the tent during the night or in the morning, it seems
      inevitable that (unless one worms out in a thoroughly uncomfortable
      fashion) the small of one's back inevitably brushes the lip of the
      vestibule/awning, releasing a heavy load of condensation.
      [EDIT] Projecting. "one" and "one's" sound like the reader rather than
      the author

      One tactic that I have found quite effective is to leave the top of the
      door unzipped if one is experiencing blowing rain (it has dual zippers,
      enabling this) so that the peak repels most of the rain, and the rest is
      repelled by the half-open storm door.
      [EDIT] Projecting. Possibly change "if one is experiencing blowing rain"
      to "if I am experiencing blowing rain"

      Still, given the advantages of the relatively low weight and bulk of the
      tent, these inconveniences are a trade-off that many users are likely to
      make.
      [EDIT] Projecting. You are projecting what "many users" may want or
      think.

      As noted, it will house two at a pinch, if those occupants are careful
      about condensation.
      [COMMENT] I know the phrase as "[in] a pinch". Your call.

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2004
        Thanks, Jet (and thanks Mara). Points re projecting reasonable and
        taken--I had wondered myself if a couple of these was a little close.
        I'll change the POV on those (tomorrow -- just got in).

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          No problem! You still get Brownie Points for being way early, but within
          the two-week allowable early window. Nice job, Ted!

          Jet