Owner Review-Princeton Tec Aurora LED Headlamp

  • K Bigelow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
      Princeton Tec Aurora LED Headlamp

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Ken Bigelow
      Age: 26
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5� 8� (1.7 m)
      Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
      Email address: krb84108@...
      City, State, Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
      Date: July 18, 2004
      Backpacking Background: I was first dragged on a
      backpacking trip to Yellowstone seven years ago and
      have been the maniac planning the trips ever since.
      My adventures usually vary in length from a weekend to
      two weeks. I am currently in the process of
      �converting� to the ultralight approach, but still
      have like to pack along a few luxuries, such as a
      tent. In the spring and fall I usually end up in
      canyon country and in the summer I retreat to the
      mountains and their unpredictable ambiance. I
      typically see I wide variety of climates ranging from
      10 F (-12 C) with snow to 90 F (32 C) and sunny with
      just about everything in between.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Princeton Tec
      Year of Manufacture: 2002
      Listed Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g) w/ batteries
      Weight as Delivered: 2.8 oz (79 g)
      Power: 3 AAA alkaline batteries (I used Energizer e2
      titanium)
      Size: 2 �� X 1 � X 1� (5.7 cm X 4.4 cm X 2.5 cm)
      mounted on a 1� (2.5 cm) wide
      adjustable headband
      MSRP: $30 US

      Features

      � 5 different light settings: low, medium, high, slow
      strobe and fast strobe
      � Burn times from 50-160 hours
      � 3 bright white LED bulbs
      � Waterproof
      � Lifetime warranty
      � Adjustable headband

      Locations

      I have used this headlamp on every backpacking trip I
      have taken for the last year and a half. My
      destinations have included Arches National Park,
      Canyonlands National Park, High Unitas Wilderness,
      Yellowstone National Park, and Fishlake National
      Forest.

      Performance

      I purchased the Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp after
      consulting a sales clerk about finding a lightweight
      lamp that emitted adequate light for hiking late in
      the evening. The following weekend, when my group
      left the trailhead significantly later than I had
      initially intended, I discovered the light provided by
      the apparatus is sufficient to hike by at night. The
      three white LED lights gave me a wider illumination of
      the trail as opposed to a regular flashlight and other
      headlamps I�ve previously used. Terrain can be the
      biggest obstacle when hiking in the dark, but the 5
      different light settings provided the best way to
      compensate. While hiking on flat open ground, the low
      mode provided all the light I required to navigate.
      Medium helped offset the darkness when I was wandering
      through dense vegetation and when the rain started. I
      only had the lamp on high once and that was for extra
      security when I was scrambling over slickrock in
      Canyonlands. The light emitted from the headlamp does
      have a slightly bluish hue to it, but it was not
      enough to bother me.

      The Aurora is the perfect light source for evening
      camp activities too. Tilting the lamp downward (which
      can be done up to 180 degrees) helped make cooking,
      tent pitching and food hanging simple in the
      starlight. I could pound in the tent stakes, observe
      the cooking food and pull up the stuff sack using
      peripheral vision (which comes in handy when there are
      plenty obstacles to trip on, knock over and become
      tangled on). In camp I never took the setting off low
      and it felt perfectly comfortable on my head even
      after wearing it for several consecutive hours (both
      on the trail and in camp). Reading and card playing
      is where the Aurora really earns its money. After
      reading by a LED light, I doubt I�ll ever try any
      other source. My friend�s wife agreed and it took me
      most of the trip to retrieve the headlamp from her
      after she borrowed it (I had the same problem when I
      lent it to my brother to help him fix his truck). I
      never had to use either of the two strobe modes (fast
      and slow) for navigation, but they were nice for
      annoying other member of my party and creating a dance
      club effect when it�s pitch black.

      I never have submerged the headlamp in water, but it
      proved to be waterproof after a day and a half of
      heavy rainstorms in the Rocky Mountains. I will say
      that changing the batteries was not as simple as
      unscrewing one end. While reading in Fishlake
      National Forest, the batteries (after 13 trips into
      the backcountry) finally gave up the ghost. I used a
      flat blade (but could have used a quarter or other
      thin object) to remove the casing in order to replace
      them. While this may not sound too difficult,
      remember I had to locate and use such an item in the
      dark. It is easier said than done.

      Summary
      The Princeton Tec Aurora is the headlamp I wonder how
      I ever got along without. It has allowed me to hike
      and set up camp at night plus provided me with enough
      light for almost every entertaining camp activity.

      Pros
      � Lightweight
      � 5 different lighting modes
      � Waterproof
      � Comfortable

      Cons
      � Batteries are difficult to change
      � Light emitted from headlamp has a blue tint to it
      � If you lend it to someone they will not return it

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Graham Blamey
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2004
        Hi Ken,
        Thanks for your Owner Review. Do not worry if nothing happens with it
        for a few days. All our Editors are volunteers and your review will
        be subject to an official edit within fourteen days. If you have not
        had a response from an Edit Moderator via the list within this
        timeframe, please let us know directly at apriest@...

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-posting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official editor. Please put REVISED at the start of your re-
        post, if you take this route.

        If you are new to the BackpackGearTest.org, welcome to the community!
        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        get your first two Owner Reviews approved and uploaded in a timely
        manner. Once these first two Owner Reviews have been approved and you
        have submitted your Tester Agreement you will be eligible to start
        applying for Tests.

        To assist in this process, we ask that you only post one Owner Review
        for edit at a time. Our experience is that it is more efficient for
        both our Editors and yourself, if you post your first review, have it
        edited, approved and uploaded before you post your second and
        subsequent reviews. This way we can work with you on addressing any
        standard BGT policy edits which you can incorporate into your second
        and subsequent reviews before submission.

        the list,
        Regards,
        Graham Blamey,
        BGT Edit Moderator
      • colonelcorn76
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2004
          Hi Ken,
          Nice job on this review. Please make the changes I've noted in my
          edits. Also, take a look at the comments/questions/suggestions I've
          made. If you can provide any of that information you'd take this
          review up a notch.

          Once you've made the appropriate changes and additions, please repost
          it to the group with REPOST in the subject line. I'll pick it up for a
          quick look and provide you with the links you'll need to upload it to BGT.

          Thanks again for this review,
          Jim
          Edit Moderator

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, K Bigelow <krb84108@y...> wrote:
          > Princeton Tec Aurora LED Headlamp

          ### Please add "Owner Review" to the title

          > Date: July 18, 2004

          ### Please change this to the date you repost it to the group

          > Locations
          >
          ><snip>
          > Yellowstone National Park, and Fishlake National
          > Forest.

          ### While you're at it a brief comment about elevation &
          trail/campsite type (e.g. overgrown brush, finished & graded, etc)
          would be a useful addition here.

          > initially intended, I discovered the light provided by
          > the apparatus is sufficient to hike by at night. The

          ### On what kind of trail?

          > three white LED lights gave me a wider illumination of
          > the trail as opposed to a regular flashlight and other
          > headlamps I've previously used. Terrain can be the

          ### Any quantifiable #s here -- like 10' wide 30' in front?

          > and it felt perfectly comfortable on my head even
          > after wearing it for several consecutive hours (both

          ### What's the headband made of? How's it adjust? Does it work over a
          hat or just directly on your head?

          > annoying other member of my party and creating a dance

          ### "members"

          > remember I had to locate and use such an item in the
          > dark. It is easier said than done.

          ### Is there any indication it's going dead so you can replace the
          batteries pre-emptively in the daylight following a night when you
          notice it dimming or does it just go dark on you? How easy is it to do
          in the light?

          > • If you lend it to someone they will not return it

          ### "If it's lent to someone"